Author Topic: ARTICHOKES.....  (Read 9802 times)

evan1

ARTICHOKES.....
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
I mean Oil Chokes

On Saturday Joe and I took a ride to Mike's aka Topround to have Karl do some more upgrades to his Supratek preamp. This time it was oil chokes.We switched out a few and Joe took some home to see which he likes.I don't know what I think of them but from what I heard I think you can get the same results by using different powercords,just my opinion. Mikes system was sounding fantastic. When we first walked in he was spinning vinyl and what I heard was amazing . He has some turntable. :thumb: Some other items we played with were

Niteshade beacon2 ,MWI 9.0,Audionote Pre,Melos amps and preamps,Hafler pre,First Sound amp,Karl's 26 pre ,Micro Siki ? turntable,Audio Physics Virgo. The Melos amp and Audionote pre was my favorite combination

evan1

Re: ARTICHOKES.....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:29:21 PM »
More pics . I can't forget the Oil Chokes

evan1

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
And more...

evan1

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 11:34:25 PM »
And more...Hooking up the chokes
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:08:11 AM by evan1 »

evan1

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:35:11 PM »
And a few more

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:42:53 AM »
I had a feeling you guys were doing something yesterday. Very cool. Thanks Evan, Mike, et al.

evan1

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 03:44:10 AM »
I had a feeling you guys were doing something yesterday. Very cool. Thanks Evan, Mike, et al.

That makes me feel all Choked up :rofl:

evan1

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:13:32 AM »
Ooops... Mike thanks for the day and the low tide shrimp :lmc:

evan1

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »
Thanks to Mike (Topround) for having us over yesterday. Mike's system sounded fantastic yesterday - the vinyl was great, but I'm already a believer!

I had fun listening to the various combinations of preamps and amps (though I've heard enough of "Little Wing" to last me for a while). Interesting how the different oil chokes changed the tone of Joe's preamp, which I thought sounded quite excellent to begin with. I was glad to hear my AN pre in another, more revealing system, and it held up pretty well.

I had to leave before hearing Karl's pre - how was it?

Mike Fox
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:25:37 AM by mikef »

evan1

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:46:40 AM »
Thanks to Mike (Topround) for having us over yesterday. Mike's system sounded fantastic yesterday - the vinyl was great, but I'm already a believer!

I had fun listening to the various combinations of preamps and amps (though I've heard enough of "Little Wing" to last me for a while). Interesting how the different oil chokes changed the tone of Joe's preamp, which I thought sounded quite excellent to begin with. I was glad to hear my AN pre in another, more revealing system, and it held up pretty well.

I had to leave before hearing Karl's pre - how was it?

Mike Fox

Mike , I prefer the AudioNote. Not saying karl's 26 pre is bad just needs work. Technical difficulties.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
I had fun listening to the various combinations of preamps and amps (though I've heard enough of "Little Wing" to last me for a while).

That's Kathy Raven performing "Little Wing" from the "Loveseed" album....

Thanks for the photos Evan... :thumb:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:51:43 AM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »
Looks like good times! I was at Dave & Buster's with a bunch of 10 and 11 year olds celebrating my son's birthday, it was a different kind of fun ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpHgrWbvjGA

"It might choke Artie but it aint gonna choke Stymie"
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
Thanks to everyone who came. We may have had the only choke shootout in audio history!

Amazing how everything in audio makes a difference, each choke had its own sonic signature, just like a cap. In the end the 10 henry oil choke was the winner in this particular setup, lots of air and great wet tone and body. As you dive deep into audio gear you see how you the consumer can alter the gear to your liking or disliking. We all need a Karl -in- a -can, to open up and let him rip.

Power supply is so important.

In the end Joe's preamp was by far the best IMO, the Melos sounded pretty damn good as well with its matching Melos amp.

The Modwright was pretty good as well, very listenable, the tube rectification helped with the classic MW problem of tone, bass was a bit off, a little too off balanced in the bass heavy department in my system.

The AN sounded pretty and relaxed, if it had a little more resolution and dynamics it would be my favorite.

The Beacon 2, it still needsd work, the Tungsol roundplates really helped alot, so maybe parts are an issue,
I guess not bad for $1000, but there are a lot of really good pre's out there used for a grand. It came out of the system rather quickly, the Hafler may have been better.
It was an interesting day!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.