Author Topic: I lied...I will do another rave  (Read 12625 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
I lied...I will do another rave
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
Many things have changed at the Topround house. Many things have changed inside Toprounds head.

I may do another rave in March, don't hold me to March but it will be in the spring.
It will also be vinyl only, and you guys are going to be in for a surprise.

The cd players can hold court in another room of course.

Tubes and vinyl oh my!

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

Re: I lied...I will do another rave
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »
I'm not coming to lay vinyl tiles in your kitchen,that's so 70's

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
Sounds fun. I like surprises.  But can you keep it secret until then?  :lol:

I should be able to make it.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »
Evan,
Didn't you hear?  Vinyl is in!

We are going to spin some linoleum baby!!

In all honesty it ain't easy to get vinyl to sound better than cd's, but when you hear why it is better, then the shoe drops, and suddenly you get it. And then you realize it ain't really so hard or expensive.
But it is definitely a lot more work than cd's,, but you do listen a bit more deeply for some reason.
I can't explain it, but your mind hears it differently, and it becomes a different experience. IMO a better one! I can't believe it took me so long!!  Modding cd players  puleeez!!!

That will be my objective this rave, to spin some vinyl that will make others think twice(or maybe not!)

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
Intriguing.......
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 05:17:19 PM »
Evan,
Didn't you hear?  Vinyl is in!

We are going to spin some linoleum baby!!

In all honesty it ain't easy to get vinyl to sound better than cd's, but when you hear why it is better, then the shoe drops, and suddenly you get it. And then you realize it ain't really so hard or expensive.
But it is definitely a lot more work than cd's,, but you do listen a bit more deeply for some reason.
I can't explain it, but your mind hears it differently, and it becomes a different experience. IMO a better one! I can't believe it took me so long!!  Modding cd players  puleeez!!!

That will be my objective this rave, to spin some vinyl that will make others think twice(or maybe not!)

Mike

Turn you from the Dark Side.

This is good.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
Many things have changed inside Toprounds head.

Better wear a hat....it's getting cold... :thumb:

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »
I don't think it's difficult to get vinyl to sound better than cd. I honestly think that in some ways vinyl sounds far superior to cd. Lack of background noise however is a place where cd is almost always is superior. IF you can get past the background noise of vinyl, it will usually blow away cd sound. I have double dipped on a few of my albums. In every case, playing the vinyl version gives a bigger more enveloping sound-stage than the digital counter part. The down side is that there is snap-crackle-pop that isn't found on the cd. The other issue I have, which is part of my own 'nervosa', is that every play of a vinyl record will degrade it somewhat... I know, I've got issues ;)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

musicfile

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »
Hey Mike
A new turntable in the works
Listen to a good idler and you will get the best of both mediums ..providing the record and eqipment is up to snuff  :thumb:

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
Many things have changed at the Topround house. Many things have changed inside Toprounds head.

I may do another rave in March, don't hold me to March but it will be in the spring.
It will also be vinyl only, and you guys are going to be in for a surprise.

The cd players can hold court in another room of course.

Tubes and vinyl oh my!

mike

Topround for President!  :lol:   :beer:  Kidding aside, we've always had a blast at your raves.  Other things may change, but the people are still the same, GRRRRREAT!!!  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:57:25 AM by goldlizsts »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 04:59:27 AM »
I looked at a Lenco L 75 idler wheel, and have been in contact with a few Lenco gurus, and I know someone with a Garrard 301that was all done up with the plinth. The sound was gorgeous.

Yes i bought another TT, that will make 3 tables that I own, plus my son has like 4 tables, in different stages of curiosity.
I figured we could do a TT shootout. Changes in analogue make for big differences.
The only thing with vinyl is you have to get a good recording, a good vinyl recording is amazing.
Of course a good digital recording makes a huge difference as well, but more so with vinyl.

Keeping the Virgo's and Quicksilver combo for now, but the source will be TT and the preamp is still up in the air for now. Maybe Karl will concoct something for me.

One question?  Where is Levi? ANd anyone have any contact with Buddy?

Thanks'
 Mike

evan1

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 06:33:54 AM »
Mike I used to have a Dual CS5000 turntable and sold it a few years ago and the sound was so good I felt it rivaled my CD player at the time. I miss it every now and then.They do show up on ebay for what I paid for it new in 1989 ,around 500.00 bucks

Here take a listen. Even from your computer it sounds great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkmssL4KbXM

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 08:34:40 PM »

...................One question?  Where is Levi? ANd anyone have any contact with Buddy?

I saw Levi last week over lunch in Chinatown.  He's busy going to school.  Buddy I guess is working his tail off lately.  I last met up with him about a month ago.  That was the last time I saw him.  They are all fine, just pursuing different pleasures in life.  :rofl: They don't frequent A/N, so we miss them, naturally.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »
  Its in your blood mike. The ol TT trick eh ! The key is proper setup, which for some is the killer. Match cart. to arm then to Phonostage then preamp. Now is that tracking force, azimuth, tracking angle correct. The VTA alone could drive one nuts.
  when its right though you are correct in saying it hard to beat. My only issue with LP is that every 20 minutes or so one needs to flip the LP. With Cd one can get involved in the message when immersed for a longer period of time.
  Saying that for $6500 one can buy a A+ rated Esoteric CDP. For the same money one cannot but an A+ rated TT , cart , arm. Most CDPs that are used are wanna bees say the under $2000 crowd. Demo an Esoteric or Audio Research CDP in your home and the difference shrinks. Yes the vinyl has the ultimate advantage but is it worth it. Over the years the advances in CDP playback have narrowed the chase.
  Is it the lure of the ultimate hobbyist to spin and adjust that VTA or is it the love of sound ? I guess I need a spin girl to clean  , play and adjust it all. I'm sure Lonewolf can find us one .

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
I would have to agree that it takes a lot of money in vinyl to get a killer setup.
I heard the 80 K dcs stack sound wonderful, and the 10k Playback design not that far behind, maybe equal. Get a used Playback for like 5K and you have a killer digital playback.

But even decent vinyl does something that digital can't. Cd's just can't play electric guitar like a record, the true grit and emotion gets glossed over with cd's.
And I believe vinyl is way higher resolution than digital.
Of course cd's are way more convenient, but so is a Bose wave system.
You really don't need to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to get convenience, but to get an emotion making machine sometimes you do. Sometimes you hit on a synergistic combo that can do it for much less.

I find when I play cd's I tend to do other things as well, paperwork, cleaning, cooking, with vinyl I sit and actually listen deeply.

Vinyl is not ideal, but it is great when done right.