Author Topic: October Rave on the 24th  (Read 11416 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: October Rave on the 24th
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 05:26:18 AM »
I think the LI crowd is going to pass on this one, at least I know I'm personally not up for the 2.5 hour drive. Have a good time without us and ............ take and post some pictures  :duh  :?  :shock:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Deton Nation

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 06:24:56 AM »
Yeah rock ON mighty Mike and the harum of wivecicles. ahh if wives were only poscicles. Not sure what im sayin per usual, but have a great time. Say hi to Tommy for me.
Mike

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:30 AM »
I think the LI crowd is going to pass on this one, at least I know I'm personally not up for the 2.5 hour drive. Have a good time without us and ............ take and post some pictures  :duh  :?  :shock:

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Bob
It's less than 2 hours (about 85 miles one way).....guess you guys will miss another good Rave....

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 11:06:08 AM »
Mike,

I plan to attend.  Will bring beer and an amp.  If there's anything I should bring, pls let me know.  Thanks.

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »
The 10-day forecast has been predicting rain for the Rave for days now.

What are the chances they are right this far out? And we get three rainy October Raves in a row?

Update - I'll be borrowing a Krell SACD Standard Mk III, so if people want to bring SACDs please do.

I emailed Barry @ Transparent Music Systems, and he is willing to bring a pr of Harbeth speakers (no, not the big boys!) for the ad-hoc system. I haven't confirmed with him yet though. I have never heard a Harbeth but am really intrigued by the seemingly "Three cones in a square box" look that gets so many rave reviews.

Tommy says he'll have a Cherry JR and I think a new DAC4800, and has offered to bring his Audio Research pre (I have a good SS pre we can use also). Jim (Hogg) says he has an amp to bring though I don't know what (Everything he's ever brought to a rave has been excellent IMO).
So we can have fun creating systems in the bigger room, and can certainly swap stuff in the 2-Ch room as well. If someone wants to bring a DAC to insert in this system go for it.

I'm hoping Paul can bring some tubes to swap in the VAC pre and maybe VAC amp.

Still no plasma and time is getting short - no big deal, though. I've uncrossed my fingers.

-Mike

SuperHornet

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
The Harbeths sound natural and balanced. They are BBC-based designs. Decades back, I had the LS5/9 and the big LS5/8; I believe they are ancestors of the Harbeth 30 and 40. I had listened to a 30 in Seoul 2 years back, and their signature is the same as I recall the LS were. They are one of my all-time faves. How about comparing speaker cables. I have a Litz weave 99.99% solid silver speaker cable but they are only 6ft long.

Quoc

Deton Nation

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 06:09:29 AM »
Mind you the gear of REVERSE is not allowed within 5 miles of Mikes house. This will be monitored by an entire team of SWAT (Single Way At All Times.) professionals during the rave. Have Fun!
Mike

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 01:38:17 PM »
Great host & hostess, great sound, and great people equal a great rave!

Big thanks to Mike and Sharon for throwing a wonderful rave. I really enjoy these, at each one I get to know a few more of the group a little bit better, I'm even starting to remember names and be able to associate people with screen names.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

Best to All, Barry
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »
Thanks, Barry.. I'd like to hear more about how things went.. or see pics.. Anyone else go?
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

SuperHornet

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
Me too, I start remembering names. Thanks to Mike and Hsaron for A+ fun event. Those pies are to die for!

Great drive out and back in pourring rain, however the fall foliage is at peak.

I got to hear Von Schweikert VR4 (?) on digital amplifications with VAC tube pre and a Krell SACD. Nice tight deep bass

The Harbeth HPL-5 (?) are on some stands, looking like 4-pillar Sound Organization, driven by a VAC EL34 amp reminded me of the Rogers LS5/8.

The vintage 2-way B&W monitors driven by a chipamp and an another EL34 integrated amp sounded musical. With my four eyes, I could not tell which tube amp is it! The gainclone sounded smooth but the tubes gave the B&W much more 3D, better tones and decay, a totally different league. Smooth, intelligible vocals and synergistic with classical music.

quoc

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
Thanks, Barry.. I'd like to hear more about how things went.. or see pics.. Anyone else go?
-C

I think now that NYAR - AC is back up, most of the traffic has gone back there. There are a number of pix and reviews posted in this rave's thread there. If you can't see them let me know and I'll put them here in Quote Boxes.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

AcidJazz

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 11:35:53 PM »
I just posted a few pics I took at the rave on AC, but I cannot seem to be able to capture the link by right-clicking the gallery pics.

Here is the link if you wish to view them; http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=album;id=3425