Author Topic: Non-AudioCircle perspective on RMAF  (Read 21908 times)

jackman

Re: Non-AudioCircle perspective on RMAF
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
I hope to  hear more RMAF perspective from people on this site.  I agree with the comments about the objectivity of AC, however the nature of the AC site is not condusive to objectivity.  How many times do we have to read typical fanboy posts from the same shills who gang up on anyone who presents a point of view that is not 100% in favor of the respective manufacturer. 

Actually, I enjoyed Tyson and Pez's review of the fest.  Those  guys are pretty cool and the pictures/comments were entertaining. 

I've always lurked on the NYAR circle and look forward to following the happenings on this site.  8)

Cheers,

Jack

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »
Jack, I agree that seeking a balanced perspective on one of AC's manufacturer circles is usually an exercise in futility. Even though most products are not perfect when you make the mistake of pointing this out you are vilified. I generally steer clear them in their entirety and that way my tongue doesn't hurt so often. When the more generalized circles disappeared most of my interest in AC waned. The proposed changes to AC should bring back the entertainment value to what it was in the old days.
Scotty

jackman

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
Jack, I agree that seeking a balanced perspective on one of AC's manufacturer circles is usually an exercise in futility. Even though most products are not perfect when you make the mistake of pointing this out you are vilified. I generally steer clear them in their entirety and that way my tongue doesn't hurt so often. When the more generalized circles disappeared most of my interest in AC waned. The proposed changes to AC should bring back the entertainment value to what it was in the old days.
Scotty

I don't think the site will ever recapture what it once was.  Hopefully, people stick around here because this site has the same vibe as the original AC.  Remember AC was born out of the ashes of Harmonicdiscord.  Maybe a new site (hint, hint) can strengthen as a result of the stumbles of  AC.  Also, the nature of AC will never allow for the type of open exchange you  are looking for.  It will remain a site filled with some great people (if they aren't banned) and lots of fanboys and shills for manufacturers.  I like many of the manufacturers but the glowing, kool-aid drinking, salad tossing used to make me sick...thankfully I was banned for life, and don't have to deal with it anymore!   :lol:

Cheers,

J

SuperHornet

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 09:48:46 PM »
I did not know the DEQX is looking for 28d ambient noise. I learn something. That would be very hard in the US home environment, but it would work very well in Japan. Japanese suburbia is very quiet. My company installed broadband remotes (fiber to the home) rated at 33dbA in Japan. The japanese operator received complaints from folks who live across the street from the remote, they heard it at night loud and clear. And it was not an isolated complaint. I got to appreciate that the japanese ears are very sensitive, they can pick up tiny noises that us, Americans and my German engineers could not hear. Our American ears have been de-sensitized due to the higher noise ambient in our society. We had a SW glitch that generated these utterly faint clicks, yet 8/10 Japanese could pick them up within seconds. Took me 2 hours to finally hear them. Even instruments cannot pick them from the noise floor.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:04 PM »
Here is a link to a table on ambient noise levels from Noise Pollution Clearinghouse.
http://www.nonoise.org/library/household/index.htm
From the table it would appear that a quiet room is between 28 and 33dB on average. Who knew?
The last time I might have had a room this quiet was when I had a basement "man-cave" in rural
Ohio. I don't think the living room in my condo on the 12th floor is that quiet.
Scotty

lonewolfny42

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
Jackman...
..I was banned for life....

Guess what Jack....seems you've been unbanned....

Good luck...

Chris

jackman

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
Jackman...
..I was banned for life....

Guess what Jack....seems you've been unbanned....

Good luck...

Chris

Thanks Wolfy, it's good to hear from you.  I will probably be more of a lurker but I've always enjoyed following your trivails!  I'm a fan of this site and hope people continue to support it.  The NYAR group is my favorite.  Wish we had something similar in Chicago but we don't.  You guys have all of the fun!

Cheers,

Jack

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »
Wish we had something similar in Chicago but we don't.

Chicago is a big town....maybe some might see your post here Jack. 8)

The audio gatherings are always fun.... :beer:

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 07:32:10 AM »
Hey Jack,

Have you tried CAS (Chicago Audio Society)?
http://www.chicagoaudio.org/
They seem pretty active though they really don't hold much of a presence on any of the boards I've seen. From what I've noticed, they tend to be a bit analytical and more into gear than the fun side of audiophilia which is absolutely cool too.

The other one I've seen is the Chicago Horn Club. That one is Tom Brennen, Don Bunce, Kurt Chang and a few other guys. Granted, those guys are 'hornies' but horns can be loads of fun to listen to. Maybe not the most accurate speakers on the planet but they some things very well.

I know the Chicagoland area has tons of audiophiles. Not sure where to point you other than those guys.

Scott

Thanks Wolfy, it's good to hear from you.  I will probably be more of a lurker but I've always enjoyed following your trivails!  I'm a fan of this site and hope people continue to support it.  The NYAR group is my favorite.  Wish we had something similar in Chicago but we don't.  You guys have all of the fun!

Cheers,

Jack
My brain hurts.....

jackman

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 09:42:58 AM »
Thanks Scott and Wolf, 

I'll have to check out the CAS and the  horn club. Winter is coming and my road biking days are going to be on hold until spring.  Will have more time to mess around with audio when the temperature drops.  Looking forward to following your audio adventures in the meantime.

Jack

Deton Nation

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
Scotty

I don't think the site will ever recapture what it once was.  Hopefully, people stick around here because this site has the same vibe as the original AC.  Remember AC was born out of the ashes of Harmonicdiscord.  Maybe a new site (hint, hint) can strengthen as a result of the stumbles of  AC.  Also, the nature of AC will never allow for the type of open exchange you  are looking for.  It will remain a site filled with some great people (if they aren't banned) and lots of fanboys and shills for manufacturers.  I like many of the manufacturers but the glowing, kool-aid drinking, salad tossing used to make me sick...thankfully I was banned for life, and don't have to deal with it anymore!   :lol:

Cheers,

J
I agree, even though I am unbanned I still feel stifled over there... so...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 05:52:29 AM »
Stifle it Edith!!!

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

pjchappy

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
I've never been to an audio show, but one day, I will.   :thumb:

My biggest issue is that, for me at least, it would be an excercise in futility for the following reasons:

1.  Even if I had an identical set-up, it's going to sound different (due to the room. . .and that can be good or bad);
2.  I likely wouldn't have an identical set-up, but want 1 or 2 components from such a set-up.  Now, would that work with the rest of my system?;
3.  From experience trying out guitars, amps, etc., I know it will take me weeks to truly know whether I like something or not.  To feel comfortable enough to know if I like something, I need it to be in my own personal environment.  I'm not the type that can go to a guitar shop and try out an amp or guitar (even several times) and say, "Oh, I want this!"  I really need to be in my own little world with such things.

With all that, I have found information I have read on audio sites (and guitar sites) SUPER helpful to get a "head-start" on things.  Besides that, I think I would feel a bit intimidated going to an audio show. 

So, regardless of my rambling above, again, one day I will go to an audio show.   :rofl:  Basically, I have nothing to offer to this thread. . .     :-P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:58:54 PM by pjchappy »

jackman

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
Hey  Paul,

I hear you.  I would like to check out a show sometime.  Some systems are at a disadvantage (I'm thinking large ones in small rooms), but it seems like a cool way to check out some systems that are way beyond my budget. 

You should forget about wasting your time going to shows and listening to music and spend more time making music!  For those who don't know, our own PJchappy is a very talented musician.  Sorry if I let the cat out of the bag, but I'm not joking!  He has real talent.

Cheers,

Jack

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »
Camaraderie.  :-P