Author Topic: Non-AudioCircle perspective on RMAF  (Read 21920 times)

lonewolfny42

Re: Non-AudioCircle perspective on RMAF
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 12:52:04 PM »
I was disappointed to see the lack of information about a fellow STL guy (Chris Hoff of BPT).  :(
His system looked pretty neat, but only a picture was shown. No comments or reviews.

Bob

Chris and Steve's room sounded very good Bob...one of my first stops.
The speakers that Chris had were really special...and big. Since they were in a larger room...
things worked out well.

As for more comments....don't know why no one has posted more....but the area where they were located had some "heavy hitters".

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 01:21:34 PM »
I was disappointed to see the lack of information about a fellow STL guy (Chris Hoff of BPT).  :(
His system looked pretty neat, but only a picture was shown. No comments or reviews.

Bob

Don't worry Bob, I've got them covered in my ETM writeup that I'm working on as I type. Its sort of hard to focus on the article when there is another train wreck going on next door  :roll:  With some luck I'll get it to big Steve tomorrow and have it published maybe in the mid-month update. In the meanwhile I need to type and not troll  :duh
My brain hurts.....

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 01:27:15 PM »

Bob

Chris and Steve's room sounded very good Bob...one of my first stops.
The speakers that Chris had were really special...and big. Since they were in a larger room...
things worked out well.

As for more comments....don't know why no one has posted more....but the area where they were located had some "heavy hitters".

I can attest to the big part.  I drove out with Chris and helped him unload them pre-show and reload them after the show.  Unfortunately, with my own room responsibilities, I didn't get much chance to hear them - certainly not ater Chris got all of the room correction dialed in.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 02:30:22 PM »
Alright guys, thanks for the BPT update. Good to know they sounded nice. Chris and I had been chatting about them for a few months now. I've been eager to hear impressions. One of these days I'll make it out to his place to hear them.

I assume he ended up in a bigger room since he requested it (and paid more for it), or is it the luck of the draw with what sized room you get?

Also Scott, if you'd be so kind as to send me a link to ETM when it's published, I'd like to read it. I'll probably forget about it since I don't go there very often, and when I do, it's to look at the DIY section (mainly 'cause I've got an article coming out soon).

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
Oh yeah.  He was in a much bigger room with a nice high ceiling.  The only problem was that there was so much fan/motor noise that he had a hard time getting a good reading of the room for the DEQX to work right.

Knowing Chris, I'm sure it sounded great. 

Bryan

mgalusha

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
You guys are kind but who am I to argue?  8)

Glad you could make it out, I know we're a pretty fair distance from the hotels.

That reminds me, I'd love to see the photos Scott took of the glowing tubes.

Actually, one of the best sounds at RMAF 09' was the sound of Mike Galusha's mancave with Gedde's Abbeys powered by his Mac 275.

I agree completely. Mike's system sounded awesome. Sort of knowing the sound of the SP speakers, I was expecting a similar sound with the Gedde's waveguide. Boy was that assumption wrong  :duh

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 02:55:01 PM »
The only problem was that there was so much fan/motor noise ....................
From where?
Cooling fans from the equipment, or from the hotel HVAC?

Bob

Ecramer

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

Bob

I commented on this room over on AC It was a very good sounding room, computer audiio is usually not my cup of tea but i liked the sound. The Speakers had a big room filling sound even with 8 15 in base drivers the room was very articulate. good highs and mids.

Ed

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 03:31:10 PM »
I must have missed your post. I thought I got them all.  :lol:
Thanks Ed.

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 03:43:42 PM »
The only problem was that there was so much fan/motor noise ....................
From where?
Cooling fans from the equipment, or from the hotel HVAC?

Bob

Yes.  Even when they turned off the HVAC to the room itself, there was so much other mechanical noise that he could never get the noise floor low enough for the DEQX to reach it's 'confidence level'

Bryan

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 04:10:07 PM »
No kiddin'?  :shock:
But was it from his equipment, or ambient created by the hotel?

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
Nope.  Not his at all.  It was the mechanicals in the hotel.  The room he had is normally a banquet room or larger meeting room - down on the first floor next to the atrium, bar, etc.

DEQX wants you to get down to something like 28db ambient noise level.

Bryan

Ecramer

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »
My take on Manufactures with a presence on AC and how well they held up is this.

ci audio / Von Schweikert was some where in the top 3 or 4 rooms in IMHO this year I didn't find a Jaw dropping good room this year. The rest of the AC manufactures were running with the pack Collective they  all sounded good but not to my ear enough to stand out above the crowd for sound only. with the value added price/ performance factor they go up a notch or 2 in my book.

Daedalus Audio / Modwright teamed up very well  I thought the Smaller  Daedalus speakers in the second room sounded more dialed in then the bigger pair but i am sure that was only something to do with the room and not the speakers.

I thought the VR -7 need some dialing in I don't think they sounded as good as the RMAF rumors projected they did.

I think the smaller vendors get lost in the big dollar stuff at RMAF.

I understand we're allowed (encouraged even?) to say stuff like this on AN, so I have a little observation-

Reading the comments RE RMAF over on AC, one gets the impression that every mfgr w/ an AC presence had the best sound at the show and that no other maker of audio goodies understands what good sound is.

Yet I just read through a 65+ long thread on AGon about the best/worst sounds at the show, and jeez there was barely a mention of any of the stuff that is consistently being hailed as the second coming on AC. I did see mention of Omega and the good value at the Grant room, but little or nothing more than that.

I guess this stuck out due to what I see as the cults of personalities that surround (and are fostered by) many of the mfgr circles on AC. If you disagree with them it's like you called their baby ugly. Great press for the mfgrs, but hardly the way to have honest discourse about this hobby.

I know that many posters were merely providing info about the mfgrs that most people on AC are familiar with - I guess that's only natural.

But to read the comments on AC vs. AGon makes it seem like there were two RMAF going on - One for AC mfgrs and then the rest.

No big deal and I do over-generalize. Just wanted to say, for apparently no good reason :lol:

-Mike

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »
Nope.  Not his at all.  It was the mechanicals in the hotel.  The room he had is normally a banquet room or larger meeting room - down on the first floor next to the atrium, bar, etc.

DEQX wants you to get down to something like 28db ambient noise level.

Bryan
Oh, ok...gotcha.
Hell, I'd think 28dB would be hard to get in most rooms.
Thanks for the info Bryan.
I just realised I've been OTing....sorry 'bout that.

Bob

Offline Scott F.

• Seeking Help
  • ...DOH!....DOH!....DOH!
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 05:11:34 PM »
That reminds me, I'd love to see the photos Scott took of the glowing tubes.

...ooops  :duh

You've got an email headed your way......shortly
My brain hurts.....