Author Topic: DTQWT-12  (Read 127619 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: DTQWT-12
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »
The first speaker is built and ready for bracing and damping. Removing the wrong size corner deflector was very easy. Sawsall chop down the edges, then knock off the bottom joint, then my heat gun and putty knife removed the wood/glue residue, sand smooth and ready for the right size part, which was fitted to perfection this time, but with MDF since I have no spare ply. This plan fills three 4x8 sheets completely.

Note the hole in the front horn panel for clearance around the midrange magnet. It will be sealed with a piece of thin wood.

After treating the interior I'll glue on the other side (pretreated) and then flush route the edges around the sides. So the edge is still proud now. Fun day today!  Lots more to go.

I ordered more acousta-stuff today after I saw how big they really are! I had 1 pound bag because I was thinking I would build the smallest version of these. Then I decided to build the big daddy but I need a lot more stuffing for the closed tips of the horns (at bottom of speaker.)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
Wow, looks great!

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »
I've got a garbage bag full of acousti stuff if you want it, rich...  one more thing taking up space in the garage......

they're looking good...  when do we get to listen again?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2011, 02:10:13 PM »
Perfect timing Shane, thanks a million!

My kids' calendar is totally clear now for at least a month so hopefully I will be able to finish up all my audio projects this month. I'm on a roll now so things should come together fairly quickly. I'm really craving to have a meet and see everybody again. Probably towards end of July. I'll book it this week.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »
......hopefully I will be able to finish up all my audio projects this month.

Rich, you have got to be kidding. If you are lucky you will get to finish up the projects you are currently working on by the end of the month. But as the Grand High Master of Nervosa I have no doubt that you will have your next three projects scetched out in your mind before the stain is dry on these speakers.  :rofl:  (Not that this is a bad thing, mind you, I wish I had 1/2 your energy. I get tired just reading about all that you do. :roll: )

You, my friend, will not be finished with all of your audio projects until the day they throw the dirt on you.... and loving every minute of it.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2011, 06:04:10 PM »
You're right Tom, I meant the projects I already own but have been gathering dust since this time last year when I had my last big energy burst. Speakers, acoustic treatments and the new DAC.

But I do have a couple other ideas brewing... more vinyl antics, more acoustic treatments, Sol's IC headphone amp, Sonos linear power supply, FM tuner upgrades, on and on it goes. My previous hobby was RC sailplanes. I learned a valuable lesson from model airplanes over the years, that crashing is fun because you can build something new! The learning is always the funnest part for me.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:45 AM »
Looking great Rich!!   I cannot imagine how you'll finish them before the end of July but have no doubt you will!

Hey, avoid July 23rd weekend on the G2G - my daughter is getting married!  They wouldn't understand if I blew off her wedding for my audio buddies  :rofl:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 05:07:17 AM »
Looking great Rich!!   I cannot imagine how you'll finish them before the end of July but have no doubt you will!

Hey, avoid July 23rd weekend on the G2G - my daughter is getting married!  They wouldn't understand if I blew off her wedding for my audio buddies  :rofl:

You know our wives put up with a lot related to our audio madness, but I think that one just might be a just a bit over the line.  [-X
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »

And we wouldn't understand if you blew us off just for the wedding! haha Congrats!!

I will avoid July 23 weekend. They better be finished by then! I originally said done by end of May. Then my energy pooped out and I lost a few weeks. I got the second one mostly glued up yesterday, it will finish today. It went a lot smoother than the first one. Then start the bracing. More pics when I do the bracing.

Bigfish8

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
Rich:

I must admit to be totally overwhelmed by the size of your new babies.  I hope they exceed your expectations and just blow you away!

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 04:21:31 AM »
Me too Ken! Thanks

Offline richidoo

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »
Both speaker boxes are built!

:dj:

Now it's time for internal bracing. Bracing does not stop vibrations. All a brace can do is shorten an unsupported span. In doing so, the brace works like a finger on a guitar string. The string still vibrates, but at a higher frequency. The panel vibrating at higher frequency has much less energy than if it were vibrating at low frequency, so it is easier to damp. More on damping later. But for now I am trying to decide the geometry of the bracing.

The tri corners are the most rigid mechanical ground of the speaker, with side corners next best. I would like to refer the bracing to glued corners in some way to get extreme rigidity from the brace. The designer's plan calls for bracing which connects the center of one membrane to the center of the opposite panel. So in theory, both can vibrate together in sympathy, which they would do because they are made from same material and have the same span. Connecting the braces to the immovable corners will stop the membranes from moving.

The problem is that the bracing must be built into the speaker before the side panel is glued on. I am skinny, but not skinny enough to climb up inside the horn, so the bracing and damping has to be finished before the side lid can be glued on. The good part is that when a brace is viewed as a strut to raise freq then all considerations of strength and beefiness are out the window and only a small contact area and thin rod is necessary. Picture carbon suspension struts on a race car.

I think I will use 3/4" square rods cut from plywood, but the alternatives are wood dowel, or steel strapping. Steel would require bending a bead to stiffen it. Whatever material I use for strut I will dampen the strut vibes later.

Offline Face

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
I intend on trying this stuff out for panel dampening on my next project.  http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Products/Leak-Barriers/StormGuard-Leak-Barrier/StormGuard-Leak-Barrier.aspx

Offline richidoo

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2011, 07:22:04 PM »
That looks cool. Is it heavy?

I abandoned the elegant bracing approach. I am starting to get bored and need to see some serious progress. The bracing in the designer's plan is good enough. This way if it rings it will be his fault.  :rofl:   If I really love the speaker except for the noisy box I can build it again with quieter materials.

The braces are all cut and fitted to the approximate locations on the plan. There are no dimensions given so I had to scale them up from the plan. I need to install the damping material on the speaker walls and on the bracing before I glue in the braces.

The damping material is very heavy, a rubber and asphalt mixture with FG cloth interior. Bitumen is traditional roofing material made from asphalt, but it stinks. This has rubber mixed in with the tar which makes it more dense and stops the stink. Two layers of this on everything will knock down mid and higher frequency resonances. It is .1" thick. Did I say very heavy? The roll is 105 pounds! It has a heat sensitive adhesive on one side, but I will use some non stinky contact cement also. I am procrastinating because it is a new skill I've never done before. I'm sure the second speaker will come out better than the first...

Offline Face

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2011, 07:30:05 PM »
It has some mass to it, but it doesn't sound as dense as yours.  Do you have a link to what you just described?