Author Topic: Turning bad situation into something positive.  (Read 23496 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Progeress...Slowly
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
more pics. Prime and working on elecrical
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Turning bad situation into something positive.
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2020, 04:27:08 PM »
Barry I actually GAIN height. The old ceiling was furring strips with metal track with ceiling tiles. This will be a single piece of 5/8 wood strip attached directly to joists.

So your plan was just diagonal wood strips attached right to the joists? That would be fairly thin, about the same as 1/4 or 3/8, sheet-rock I suppose. I just think all those lines running about a foot over head may be a bit much to look at.

I would tend to agree with Barry. Using SR with proper surface [ paint, stucco, acoust. tile ] allows you to control reflections, absorbtion and all that stuff.

charles

Charles, I wasn't thinking about acoustics as much as visuals. You could attach acoustic panels to any ceiling, heck those slats on a bias may actually be good for the acoustics(?)
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2020, 04:33:12 PM »
They are about 5/8 inch
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
I was not going to post, as it seems a consensus is forming. But... I really like the wood slat look, and as Jimbones has said, acoustic treatments can be installed or made to work with whatever he does.
I get the fact that it's an architectural feature close by when you're standing, but I've been to Jim's three times, and 90% of the time is spent sitting and listening. It takes some of the close factor out of the equation.
I do like the look he is proposing. Either way, I'll wrap myself up and come over when it's safe to do so...
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Ceilings
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2020, 09:29:12 PM »
BTW, my listening room ceiling is split by a bulkhead that divides the room in half so on one side it is 2x2 drop ceiling and the other side is the one that is being remodeled.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2020, 07:03:38 AM »
Well Jim, now you've got votes for both, and in the end it's your room, and you're the one that needs to be happy, well really the Mrs. ;) So do as you see fit, and I'd love to visit when it's ready for visitors :)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
Unfortunately, I think the room will be ready for visitors before the world is safe for us to go visiting again.  :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »
Well, that gives him some time to get it dialed in ;)

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »

Yeah, Jim! Get it done and get it done the right way, "dialed-in", so we can treat our ears to your musical bliss!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2020, 02:16:22 PM »
Unfortunately, I think the room will be ready for visitors before the world is safe for us to go visiting again.  :(

My goal is to be able to have the floor installed just before or on memorial day so I can start bringing equipment back in the first week of June

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 10:49:28 AM »

Yeah, Jim! Get it done and get it done the right way, "dialed-in", so we can treat our ears to your musical bliss!

Cheers,
Pete

Pete you can come over and I'll toss you beers from 6 feet away lol, Effective immediately, minimum cable length for all TWL cables is 2m  :lol:

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
There are many challenges with remodeling that are made worse with this COVID 19. supplies not available, stores closed or limited hours, no contractors, no help with moving heavy stuff (bad back) etc. But one of the worst is that I am not able to listen to my system at a time when I need it most. Cant tell you how much I miss listening. Not to say i don't enjoy doing this project but I need to get this done soon.

So next up is paint ceiling (not an easy task as I am experimenting with an airless sprayer) I spent a couple of hours already just trying to prime it. I believe I got it primed so now I will see if I can actually paint with it.
I will paint the walls next (roller) then back onto the electrical (Lighting and install outlets in boxes)
After that onto the flooring. about 500 Sq Ft.

So I have a lot to do and got to get going as long as the body holds out.

Signing off for now

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2020, 03:38:18 PM »
sprayed the ceilings black. First time using an airless sprayer and it shows  :rofl:
Im rolling the walls though.
Next step some ceiling lights

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2020, 08:21:22 PM »
sprayed the ceilings black. First time using an airless sprayer and it shows  :rofl:

Nice project, Jim  :thumb:Way more than I’d want to attempt at my age. So you sprayed the ceiling to test that sprayer? Have you decided on sheet rock or wood for the ceiling? I feel your pain as to not having music. For multiple reasons, my system has been down quite a bit the last few months.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2020, 05:38:56 AM »

Nice project, Jim  :thumb:Way more than I’d want to attempt at my age. So you sprayed the ceiling to test that sprayer? Have you decided on sheet rock or wood for the ceiling? I feel your pain as to not having music. For multiple reasons, my system has been down quite a bit the last few months.

Nick Im no spring chicken Im in my 60's lol. New sprayer so I figured it would be a heck of a lot quicker spraying rather than using a brush. I decided on a wood slat ceiling (honey color).