Author Topic: G2G @ Rich's - 8/30  (Read 30311 times)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: G2G @ Rich's - 8/30
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a ball.  One of these days I'll make it out there.

You've got a lot more patience than I do to do that binary diffuser array DIY.  That's a TON of work

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

bacobits

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2008, 02:45:04 PM »
Rich, I felt bad after I wrote the comments. But I was delicate. I could have just declared it "dog shit"! :rofl: 
We all have different tastes for sure. My system is very different because it is a
MLTL single driver set up with sub and can sound similar to good horns. Not to mention cheap. You were fiddling with horns for awhile and I'm sure you will agree they are a very different experience from the Ushers.

I will just push more of my music in next time. Oh, and my Benchmark. LOL!

I have to have my jaw drop when I hear something for the first time. Umm, especially at those $$.

Keep at it, all will come together.
And, hey this is a friggin hobby, right?

Enjoy the journey, I know I do.

I used to hang out (90's) a fair amount of time at Sound II in Dartmouth, MA ran by Leo Masie. Knew him well.
Anyway, he had some pretty lofty stuff in there at times. I used to go in and listen to one of his primo setups and declare it
"dog shit". He used to say, you asshole, that's $75,000!
I did it to Hales when they were demoing some of their offerings there. He took me serious by the look on his face.

Den
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:05:58 PM by bacobits »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:26 AM »
I could have just declared it "dog shit"! :rofl: 

You could have, but I'm really glad you didn't.    ;)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
Rich,  tell me about your acoustic wall of holes... it looks awesome.   

I saw your earlier post about how you made it.  That must have been a painful process drilling all those holes.  Is there a reference somewhere about placement for a panel like these?    While my speakers straddle an archway into another room, I have been toying with finding a spouse-proof approach to acoustic panels for first or rear reflections and your panels look great.   Just curious about how well they're working for you and if that approach might work on side walls where 1st reflections occur?   Any insight is appreciated.  (wish I could have made it to the G2G).  :duh

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
Hi Mike, we missed you, next time?

They are just a diy spin on BAD panel sold by RPG. It sounds very nice up front, but I also have some smaller real RPG panels hanging behind which are also quite audible.

They are diffusion and absorbtion so they can be used in either application, both aspects are audible. Front wall usually needs absorbtion but I don't like the dead feel so the diffusion aspects offsets that and then some. Plain absorbtion is cheaper and accomplishes first reflection jobs fine. Rear wall is often given diffusion. I need a lot of both, so tried this to see how it would fly. I would like a few more but that is probably not in the cards, too much work.  You can buy them from Audio Advice or BHphoto. As with all RPG products they are expensive but seem to work well.

Bpape and I have PMed about them so I will add Bryan's comments about BAD as I remember. They are a compromise in order to stay flat where aesthetics are important. Real absorbtion without a reflective mask and real phase diffusion will always have significantly higher performance than BAD. I will be experimenting with some traditional phase diffusors too. I think they might be easier to build too, and even cooler looking, but a little thicker and heavier. Actually this diybad is pretty damn heavy framed and filled with 5" cotton. But it does sound good.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »
Does anyone know how we could get the Bryston BDA-1 to this GTG?  I'd really like to hear it.

Hey, Carl... did you ever get a chance to check out the BDA-1?   I keep seeing good things about it.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2008, 02:11:38 PM »
No, I might save significant DAC comparisons until my room is finished.  I don't want to waste a free demo at a time when I can't afford it nor can I hear it in my own system.  I do want to hear it though.. and I'm doing everything I can to get into this room by the end of November.  It's tough times out there right now.. so, we'll see.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.