Author Topic: Econowave?  (Read 29115 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Econowave?
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 11:13:29 AM »
I've signed up to get a pair of these (SEOS) as well. I really have the urge to build some new speakers even though I like my Abbey's. Yep, it's a sickness.

Don't even get me started :)

As if all the Usher, Harbeth, and Von Schweikert speakers here weren't enough, now I'm partnering with Rich to have him build a couple designs of these so I can hear them, too.  I'm quite happy with the speakers here and I honestly haven't heard a horn based design that I could live with long term.... but I'm just too curious not to jump in on this one...

I just ordered two different compression drivers to compare, the QSC horn, emailed Erich to get a set of SEOS 15s he has in stock right now, and other tidbits....  

I think we might build one of the Econowave designs just for $hits and giggles to hear what the HT crowd is talking about... and the SEOS will likely end up as Rich's next speaker with the Radian compression driver and dual Eminences in an MTM custom floorstanding design...assuming it's worth anything....  

but I'll bow out now and not steal any more of Rich's thunder on this one...  he's much better with the photos and details of these builds...  I'll just poke in now and again and read about it.... and show up to listen in person :)  I'm sure Julie will be very happy with me that I'm enabling Rich :( hehehe  She wanted me to tell him that his current speakers were the best so he'd stop.... HA!  like that will ever happen :)

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »
I've been on the fence about whether to build these, remembering some of the bad horn experiences I've had over the years. But there were a few promising moments that proved horns can "do it." Zilch's integrity, passion and spiritual vibration drew me in, and the SEOS evolution of his concept is technically very promising. I was gonna build a sealed version of my current speakers until the QSC horn captured my attention, so this isn't really a big detour for me.

So there'll be two speakers. A relatively simple Zilch/Schumaker Econowave DeLuxe floorstander with passive XO and ported bass based on this:
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showpost.php?p=1637407&postcount=188

That will be a development mule for a fancier speaker to come later, if it sounds good.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »
Parts arrived, so check out the project thread:

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3697.0

Offline richidoo

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
Good article about the uniform directivity concept, written by Wayne Parham, whose Pi speakers were Zilch's inspiration for E'wave.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Pi_Speakers_Info.pdf
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:58:03 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »
This is Parham's crossover design philosophy.
http://www.pispeakers.com/Speaker_Crossover.pdf

This is where Zilch started, with final values simulated and refined by Pete Schumaker.

Understanding the crossover design concept will make tweaking the crossover easier.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
Funny ... I'd stumbled on Pi Speakers last week, and thought they'd be a  good candidate for what I want. Interesting they are the inspiration of sorts for what you are building.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 05:38:36 PM »
Parham has been doing it for a very long time, clever dude...

mgalusha

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2012, 07:07:35 AM »
I heard from Erich last night, my SEOS 15's ship today.  8)

I've signed up to get a pair of these (SEOS) as well. I really have the urge to build some new speakers even though I like my Abbey's. Yep, it's a sickness.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »
That's great Mike! Did you order bright red? :D

mgalusha

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »
Did you order bright red? :D

Nope, I'm boring, just basic black. ;)

Offline Nick77

• Seeking Help
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2012, 01:38:49 PM »
Just noticed this thread and was also looking at the Econowave project. Decided to give Waynes Pi4 a try with upgraded JBL woofer and DE250. Went with mostly Auricaps and Jantzen and Mills in the crossover. Very pleased with result, still breaking things in. :)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:22:07 PM by Nick77 »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa Nick!

Those look sweet, you did a great job. I'd love to hear Pi speakers sometime. What JBL driver is in yours?
Rich

Offline Nick77

• Seeking Help
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:43 PM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa Nick!

Those look sweet, you did a great job. I'd love to hear Pi speakers sometime. What JBL driver is in yours?
Rich

Thanks.....   JBL 2226H

Offline richidoo

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »
Interesting that putting voltage to the black (-) input produces forward (outward?) cone motion.  Isn't that the opposite of usual?  Is that so it pumps air properly?  Would it make a difference in a sealed box?
I really enjoy listening to music.