Author Topic: Maggie 1.7  (Read 29247 times)

shep

Re: Maggie 1.7
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 07:32:25 AM »
Guess we'll just have to wait on this new Maggie until proper reviews appear.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
I'm still shaking my head the next day about the maggie thing.... so I guess in one way they were successful with their show.  They raised attention levels about the product and made it memorable.... except in my case, I think for all the wrong reasons.

The overriding fear they had was that someone would come into the room and sit way off to the side, not get good sound, and then post on the internet about how awful the new speaker was.  Fine.  Point taken. 

But that says some things.  Maggie views all dealers and industry folks as morons.  Although I'm sure there are more than a few in the industry, I personally (and from what I can gather in watching and talking with other attendees) won't comment publicly on anything I hear at shows unless I've sat in the prime listening spots at a minimum.  Also, anyone who has ever been to an audio show knows that the rooms are challenging.  I don't talk about bass and midbass performance for the most part because of the problems of acoustics and the fact that very few rooms have treatments.  Exceptions are rooms with products that have EQ capability built in (Vandersteen being an example with their bigger speakers).  Shows are to get a general feel for things as you listen through the known deficiencies of the rooms and find something you want to explore more by bringing in product and having a listen in a more familiar environment.

Maggie was the only demo I went to that was this far out in left field and unaccomodating.  I'm sure there were other situations like this as I've been to rooms in the past at other shows where manufacturers wouldn't play other people's disks and had set displays.  But in my opinion, it's pretty stupid to introduce a new product and then not let people listen to it... and I don't mean as left and right ambience to their reference center channel.

A great example of a completely different attitude was down the hall at Divergent Technologies, the makers of Reference 3A speakers and importer of the ASL tube products, etc.  Dave Belles of Power Modules told me I *had* to listen to these speakers as he felt they worked very well with his electronics and he really liked the sound of them, especially for the price.  When I first stopped in, they were playing one of their lower end models and it was a specific demo for some industry folks.  The owner chatted with me a second and we made arrangements for me to stop back by and he would swap in the Grand Veena speakers and let me have a go with the system.  I stopped by at the agreed timeframe and he moved things around, connected different electronics at my request in addition to moving the speakers into place, gave me the remotes, queued up my test disc, and let me play for a while.  Guess which company I'm more likely to do business with if everything else is equal with regard to sound?
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Bigfish8

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »
Shane:

Thanks for the reports and I hope you had a great time at the show.  I am curious about how the manufacturers and dealers view this year (2010) for potential business?  I know it is a totally different world but I attended the local boatshow in Raleigh on Saturday - the first one I have attended in 3 years.  There was a tremendous amount of activity around the tackle area but the area around the boats were not busy at all.  I saw very few people getting up inside boats which is a strong indication that folks are holding-off on purchasing a major toy like a boat. 

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 08:59:54 AM »
Anal is as anal does. Makes no sense to me. Would not a Manf. even a well known and respected one NOT want new dealers or welcome all. So we should go to Lyric in Manhattan to listen. They don't want us audiophiles in their store. We don't spend enough for them. As a Maggie owner it galls me to hear stuff like this. I have been seriously considering trading in the Pipes for the 20.1s. Still have the AR DR250 servo to drive them however the only Maggie dealer is Lyric. When mike Kaye was the owner it was a treat to go there now, just NOT the same.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »
Lyric yuck. You have to have a platinum card to get in the door. This is not good about the Maggie's. What about a group buy? (just kidding)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
FYI - Audio Den in Lake Grove is still listed as an authorized Maggie dealer, so you are not held hostage by Lyric. I hope the tubes on the d-250 are still in good shape. Re-tubing that beast would be a hard nut to swallow.

I didn't realize that Mike Kay was no longer associated with Lyric. Too bad, he was a class guy. When did he retire?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:57 AM »
FYI - Audio Den in Lake Grove is still listed as an authorized Maggie dealer, so you are not held hostage by Lyric. I hope the tubes on the d-250 are still in good shape. Re-tubing that beast would be a hard nut to swallow.

I didn't realize that Mike Kay was no longer associated with Lyric. Too bad, he was a class guy. When did he retire?

Several years ago. Lennie took over. Mike pops in occasionally for some serious clients but basically out of the picture. Forgot about Audio den.
  Tubes are good all 32 of them. Only 20 6550s .Yes it is a bear to deal with. 250W of triode bliss. A different league. Yes about $1200 for a total re tube. With the Maggies [ 3As] a match made in heaven BTW I would put it up against any tubed amp of the day. List price was $8800 a new AR with that power over $40,000 today. For $3500 someone can have a true classic. Maybe :?

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »
Only 32 tubes???  ](*,)  Ah, the cost of audio bliss........

Sorry to hear that Audio Den is a no go. I just saw them listed on the Magnepan site as an authorized dealer. The last time I was out there I bought tubes for my CJ Premier 2 and since that was out of the house before Billy was born it has to be more than 21 years ago.

It just blows my mind that most of the high end shops left in our area are the ones that everybody say "Oh no, not that a-hole" every time you mention them, while so many of the "good shops have fallen by the wayside. I guess this falls under the saying "Only the good die young"......   :(

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »
I was just out at Audio Den before christmas to drop off my Ayre CD player for the MP upgrade. They had a set of Maggie 3.6's set up and powered by soem AR reference equipment (100W tube amp, preamp, CD player). It sounded truly spectacular and has me itching to hear these 3.6's in my own room. Maybe if I can find a used pair on Craigslist locally.

They did offer to let me bring my McCormack DNA .5 amp out and hook it up to the 3.6's to see how it works with them. Lets see, my amp puts out 200W into 4 ohms and 350W into 2 ohms, so it may be OK with them. The AR amp they were using was only 100W of tube power and these speakers sang beautifully.

They didn't have a pair of 1.7's around though, at least not yet.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »
Bob I have the 3As with the 3.6 ribbons if you want. They were Izzys before me. Izzy had Larry Moore replace some crossover caps which improver their performance. Tighter mid bass with more bass extention. $1200 or $1000 for AN members.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »
Thanks Charles, but just speculation on my part these days. Not really looking to buy anything at this point.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »
First critical commentary, from Jon Valin, one of my favorite reviewers, he likes it. He likes every Maggie, so it's no surprise. He jabbed the Bryston amps a couple times also. He is master of the "read between the lines" school of audio journalism so the Bryston comments are not by accident.

http://www.avguide.com/blog/magnepan-mg-17-unqualified-triumph

Either they finally broke down and started giving stereo demos after your visit, Shane, or you need to walk the halls with a VIP next time.  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »
So Jonathan got the VIP tour while Shane got the bums rush. Does that really surprise any of us? Shane is a local dealer and as such how many customers will he he demoing and influence on the matter of Maggie 1.7s? A couple of hundred, maybe a couple of thousand. Jon on the other hand will be publishing a write-up in a major audiophile magazine (and website) that will most likely reach over a 1/4 million audiophiles (and may very well be the vehicle that pushes some of those potential customers into listening to Maggies in Shane's store (if he should decide to carry them.) Above all else CES is an advertising tool and like all advertising tools one of it's goals is to reach as many potential customers as possible. While I realize that it sucks for Shane to be treated the way he was  :( (and I don't think it was the smartest thing for Maggie to piss on one of the front line rank and file sales folks  :duh ) I clearly understand why they would have bent over backwards to suck up to Jonathan.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2010, 04:42:04 PM »
or he heard it with the center channel and didn't realize it ;)

sounds like they wouldn't play any of his music either as he describes not being familiar with the music when describing the sound....

I've dealt with pretentious, arrogant, snotty, etc. when it comes to boys and their toys at shows.  I've had manufacturers refuse to play test music from folks.  After hearing some of the stuff that people want to play at these shows, I can understand why they'd want to avoid doing that :)  heck, some of my test music was not exactly audiophile approved either.  But this Maggie demo is still resonating with me days later.  I guess part of it was that I wasn't feeling good at all that day, and have felt like royal crap since (gotta love getting sick on vacation).  But it was just the wrong way to go about the show, imo....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Bigfish8

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
or he heard it with the center channel and didn't realize it ;)

sounds like they wouldn't play any of his music either as he describes not being familiar with the music when describing the sound....

I've dealt with pretentious, arrogant, snotty, etc. when it comes to boys and their toys at shows.  I've had manufacturers refuse to play test music from folks.  After hearing some of the stuff that people want to play at these shows, I can understand why they'd want to avoid doing that :)  heck, some of my test music was not exactly audiophile approved either.  But this Maggie demo is still resonating with me days later.  I guess part of it was that I wasn't feeling good at all that day, and have felt like royal crap since (gotta love getting sick on vacation).  But it was just the wrong way to go about the show, imo....

Shane:

I want to thank you for stopping by the room and trying to hear them.  Many of us realize your ear for speakers and were interested in your feedback!

Kenj