Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

I think my System is virtually, finally finished

<< < (12/25) > >>

steve:
A little while back I noticed the sonic/music become more full. So I started performing some experiments with the tightness of the speaker wire nuts on both the amplifier and speaker.

For newbies, the tighter the nuts, the more contact pressure, and the lower the contact resistance.

I think this aspect has been extremely neglected, having never seen a post mentioning the problem over the decades on any forum.

That is, the sonics will vary with the contact resistance of the speaker wires at both the amplifier and speakers. I am able to alter the sonics on my system by simply adjusting the contact pressure on either the speaker or amplifier connections.

Finger tight is not enough. I noticed a musical difference at every session.

First, I cleaned the connectors on both amp and speakers with a cleaner that leaves no residue. I cleaned the speaker wire ends as well. 
Next, use either a wrench or worst case pliers and tighten more, until extremely tight. This should provide some consistency in musical reproduction if one notices the sonic qualities seeming to change from session to session.

Will everyone notice a musical difference? No. If the system has masking problems, too full, a sonic difference may not be noticed.

If ok, I would like to post this same post in amps and preamps, as I have never seen this aspect presented in any forum.

cheers

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on August 27, 2021, 01:28:18 PM ---A little while back I noticed the sonic/music become more full. So I started performing some experiments with the tightness of the speaker wire nuts on both the amplifier and speaker.

For newbies, the tighter the nuts, the more contact pressure, and the lower the contact resistance.

I think this aspect has been extremely neglected, having never seen a post mentioning the problem over the decades.

That is, the sonics will vary with the contact resistance of the speaker wires to both the amplifier and speaker. I am able to alter the sonics on my system by simply adjusting the contact pressure on either the speaker or amplifier connections.

Finger tight is not enough. First, clean the connectors on both amp and speakers with a cleaner that leaves no residue. Clean the speaker wire ends as well. 
Next, use either a wrench or worst case pliers and tighten more, until extremely tight. This should provide some consistency in musical reproduction if the sonic qualities seem to change from session to session.

Will everyone notice a musical difference? No. If the system has masking problems, too full, a sonic difference may not be noticed.

I would appreciate any posts that describe the sonic difference they notice.

If ok, I would like to post this same post in amps and preamps, as I have never seen this aspect presented in any forum.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,
It’s ok with me to post in those sections as well. I don’t recall having seen this presented elsewhere either. I can’t try this experiment as for the first time ever I’m using bananas.
Nick

tmazz:
I agree, finger tight just doesn't cut it. Fir many years now I have used ab Audioquest device called The Postman. It look like a screwdriver handle with 1/2 and 7/16th sockets sunk into each hand. With an open ended or socket  wrench on a ratchet handle it is too easy to apply too much torque and strip or even break  a plastic binding post. The Postman gives you the grip of a socket but without the leverage of a wrench, making it easier to control how tight you make the binding post.

It does a great job and in audiophile terms it is a bargain at less than $20 from Amazon or any of the online high end dealers.

Highly recommended

steve:
Unfortunately, my speaker jacks are round, otherwise I would use an inch pounds tork wrench to
tighten.

For newbies, over the years, I have found banana, spades etc to be inferior to direct speaker
wire connection. Bypassing the jacks and soldering the speaker wires to the OPT leads is probably the
best of all, but I have not proven it, and I need flexibility to remove the amps for testing purposes.

It is important that the surface be completely smooth, with no slight kinks or small, rough spots that
would reduce the contact area, increasing the resistance.
Increasing the resistance lowers the damping factor across the entire audio band.

cheers

steve

steve:
Question about how my system responds to the sonic differences between YouTube Premium and redbook?

Adjustments, controls on the speakers. I wish all speakers had touch up controls so as to optimize reproduction from both. Simply repositioning the speakers can help most of the time. But even with YouTube Premium, overall, I would not switch audio systems using Redbook. Maybe another venue for wider soundstage, but that is it.

The ear is incredibly sensitive to tonal changes/frequency response changes. Correlating resistance changes to -DB amplitude changes, 1 in 100,000 would equate to ~ -100db tonal balance/frequency response change. One in a million equates to ~ -120db change.

Since the damping factor between amp/speakers is only ~10, perfect correlation is not achievable. However, even within a db or three off demonstrates the extreme sensitivity of the ear.

That is why it is so difficult to obtain perfect input to output perfection with electronic components.

cheers

steve 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version