Author Topic: best way to rip old cassettes to digital  (Read 4849 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
best way to rip old cassettes to digital
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
I've got several old cassettes of bands and singers that I once knew ages ago and I would like to get them ripped to digital to preserve them as best as possible.  Since I've got a wonderful Tact 2.0s pre that has a highly modded ADC card, I have to think that will do much better than simply taking cassette player line outs to computer mic in and then use Audacity.

But here's where I'm stumped.... how do I get from the Tact digital out (XLR, RCA or optical s/pdif) in to computer?   I'm hoping I'm just having a senior moment but nothing strikes me as obvious.  My laptop has both USB and firewire.  My desktop has standard line ins but only an spdif optical output.

I'm sure I can add another audio card to the desktop but I'd prefer to do it from my laptop if at all possible.

Anybody wrestle with this?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: best way to rip old cassettes to digital
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
Your laptop or desktop has to have a digital input... either toslink or coax.
I have an m-audio delta dio that has both if you'd like to try it in your desktop.  It is a nice pro card that I enjoyed immensely.  I just ran across it yesterday.. yours to try.

Otherwise, to do this on your laptop, you'll need a digital-to-usb converter/device.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »
Thanks, Carl.   I used by daughter's Zoom H2 to rip from the cassette deck to an SD card and then used Audacity to slice and dice.  Seemed to do a nice job.   I don't have a real good cassette deck so I suspect that's my weak link anyway.   I suspect that my Tact into your M-Audio card would work even better and I may take you up on your offer.  It can wait until your G2G.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
Mike,

I've got a Pionee Elite CD deck that is just sitting around...if you want to borrow it for a while, then I can bring it next Sunday.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 09:40:31 AM »
Mike,

I've got a Pionee Elite CD deck that is just sitting around...if you want to borrow it for a while, then I can bring it next Sunday.

Steve, do you mean a Pioneer Elite Cassette deck?   If so, I'd love to borrow it for a bit if possible.   

Offline stereofool

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:10:08 AM »
DOH :duh! Yes...I will bring it with me today, and you are welcome to keep it as long as you need it.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline JLM

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
Each cassette player (and tape) has its own ideal biasing.  My Nakamichi 700 had various adjustments to optimize to each tape as you recorded.  Some of this was done to optimize the Dolby B encoding (which when done "right" like on this machine was really quite good).  It was also needed to account for the narrow tape and slow tape speeds.  (IMO Dolby's downfall was over selling for use on cheap recorders/players with the effect of it sounding more like a treble filter than anything else.) 

Trying to play back on another machine, even the hand assembled version (Nakamichi 1000) didn't sound nearly as good.  Friends always wanted me to record for use on their machines and it always sounded poor, especially on those cheap machines.

Bottom line, high quality cassette recordings are forever tied to the machines they were recorded on.  This was the dirty little secret of cassette.  I should have bought a Revox and just ate the extra cost of the tape.  (I worked at the college radio station and had access to their entire library.)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:45:18 PM »
While cassettes are things of the past, there are times when it is the only source and it needs to be preserved.  Steve's Pioneer Elite saved the day for me and performed a remarkable job of extracting music for a 20 year old tape. 

But, I hope I never need to do it again ;-)