Author Topic: Computer Memory Prices  (Read 12771 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Computer Memory Prices
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »
Sounds 'rewarding'. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 03:01:44 PM »
I like trying out new stuff and thus I un-installed NOD32 and loaded up VIPRE. Install went as planned, update went fine so I figured what the heck lets run a scan. That went fine to.

Had to leave my computer for a few minutes and came back to the log-in screen. The way I have my computer set-up that is all normal. What isnt is that after I try and log-in I'm informed that my VISTA profile is now nowhere to be found! Re-booted a few times, logged in and out a few times and still nothing. I was finally forced into performing a restore. Everything is back as it should be but I think I will hold off on loading up VIPRE again until they get some bugs worked out.

It does look to be a very nice program and may in well be something I eventually start running but for now at least I'm sticking with NOD32.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:44:57 PM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 03:41:42 PM »
Sounds like operator error to me... ;)

Maybe NOD leaves anti competitive virus behind to sabotage other brand software. Like the glory days of IE4,5... hehe

Thanks for the warning John. I'm glad I'm procrastinating... :D

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
After a little more digging.....

I looked through my registry after I did the restore and it was in fact VIPRE. There was a conflict with the security software that my IBM ThinkPad runs and VIPRE apparently mistook some of the related security files to be "problem" files and quarantined them which screwed my finger print log in all to hell which in turn caused the profile settings to be trashed.

I'm going to try it again after they get some more time under their belt with Vista as like I mentioned before, it does look very promising.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
Glad you were able to figure it out, that must have taken a few minutes, thanks for posting!  I am still XP, so I may have a fly with it. But backup reg first..

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:06:05 PM »
Yesterday I used Revo Uninstaller on a client's PC to remove Norton. It was a big job, but I felt confident that Revo removed it far better than the norton uninstaller. It works great.

Today I installed Vipre. It scanned and found a few buggers, one serious spyware. I have not run AVG for a month, so could have slipped in since then, or been there a long time. Vipre works great. There are PROFUSE warnings during setup, during configuration, and during scans recommending that you uninstall all other security software. I used Revo to uninstall Aware also, even though I wasn't using it, Vipre found it during setup, said can it. Good marketing technique!! So far so good. I am using XP.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

SP3 is downloading now, I hope it doesn't stink up the place.
Rich

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »
SP3 worked fine. No big changes in it anyway.

miklorsmith

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
Hmmm, interesting.  My desktop at home is the internet hub, it regularly has download speeds WAY slower than I expect with cable.  The laptop which is connected through a wireless card and hub downloads 5 to 8 times faster.  The desktop is the more capable machine.

I'm running Norton, and now wondering if I could do better.   :?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »
Quote from: miklorsmith
I'm running Norton, and now wondering if I could do better.   :?

Yes.....Norton is a massive resource hog as is McAfee and a few others.

NOD32 is established, very friendly on resources and in all honesty, has better protection.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:56:39 AM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
I tried Vipre and avast on XP. Avast is all around faster, barely noticable at all. Vipre is a little faster than AVG.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Rich