Author Topic: Heard the best Zu sound last Saturday!  (Read 10494 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Heard the best Zu sound last Saturday!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 03:23:08 AM »
 What Evan has a stereo ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
Hi Guys,
Sorry it wasn't an open Rave party, but my room is just to small.
I'll have some more GTG so more people could attend!

Yes, finally went the hi eff. Low watt route. It takes time with placement and good synergistic components to make them sing. Fooled around with toe in and now you get a good stereo image not only from the sweet spot.

These new Zu's are very fast, dynamic, and lively with good detail. They are more linear then their older driver speakers.

No I'm not using the Spectron. It sounded pretty good with it ,but it is overkill. I'm using a First Watt J2 amp which drives it plenty loud!

I have the Druids paired up with an Undertone sub which, I think takes these speakers to another level. No more overloaded bass in my room, finally. The sub fleshes out the tonal balance and expands the soundstage!

Joe

Well, if anyone could get Zu speakers to sing, not surprised it was you Joe. I hope you're enjoying your new set up, it sure does look good. Seems like the Druids are closer to the corners than your Salks were, making the room feel a bit bigger, which I'm sure is nice too.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
I attended Joe's mini-rave as well.  I really like the Zu's in Joe's room.  Like Martin I preferred the tube amp with the Zu's.  Bass definition, leading edge and attack suffered compared to the First Watt J2, but the midrange and treble were very special especially on female vocals.  I also preferred Joe's phone stage to Karl's latest creation, a retrofit in a  Rogue preamp, which was a little too soft and syrupy for my taste.    The focus of course was the Zu's which are tremendous speakers; and like others the best I've heard Zu's in a system.  I left My Almarro with Joe for experimentation.  I'll be interested in his Observations, as the is amp made the Zu's at Deepak's home come alive.

Thanks for an entertaining afternoon Joe.

P.S.  It was fun to see Evan as well.  He has a new system as well and it has nothing to do with Aether Audio loudspeakers :shock:

Jim
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline Maxamillion

• Certifiable
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 08:12:24 AM »
I had Druids with their mini-method sub in my setup for a few years. Very clear and dynamic, no doubt due to the minimal crossover components. I ran them with both 500wpc Class D and Atmosphere M30s, and they definitely had more magic with the tubes, but that was only a loaner amp at the time.

Now running vastly different speakers, 1985 vintage Infinity RS2b, totally gutted and rebuilt. The ribbon mids and tweeters do something for vocals and minimal music that the Druids just couldn't, but the Druids rocked out better...they can take massive power without missing a beat.

BTW, my 200wpc SET project is progressing (about half done). Still waiting on the custom OPTs from Belgium. When completed I'll host a rave in celebration.

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 08:52:35 AM »
The new Druid V's sound much different then the older Druids. They are more linear, detailed, transparent, and much less cabinet talk. They still have that nice Zu tone but are less warm sounding, still retaining that fast lively sound, IHMO.

Yes, Barry they liked to be spaced out more. I have them out about 4 ins. more per side. Still tweaking,I think with more playing time they are
sounding better and better.

Joe
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 08:55:05 AM by jbtrio »
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers