Author Topic: George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic NYE 2012 Columbia SC  (Read 3806 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic NYE 2012 Columbia SC
« on: January 01, 2012, 06:55:02 AM »
The Mothership arrived in Columbia, SC last night as George Clinton and his cohorts in the amalgamation called Parliament-Funkadelic performed a free concert on Main St to welcome the new year.

The band included some of the long-time funkateers, including Mike Hampton who shredded the guitar for the full 10-minute guitar solo recorded on Funkadelic's Maggot Brain, (although the original cut was by Eddie Haskell, Hampton has been with the collective since the mid-seventies). They were as tight as they could be, upholding their reputation as a great performing band.  

Clinton himself, though, surprised the crowd.  Dressed in a pin-stripe suit and conservatively stylish (especially for him) fedora, he was shorn of his well known rainbow colored dreadlocks.  Whether it was temporary or permanent, I can't tell, but his voice was very rough, and he didn't sing as much as bark the lyrics.  He had a dozen or so musicians onstage (the number varied by song) including very talented vocalists, and per typical P-Funk protocol, everyone took turns at the lead. It seemed that for this show, at least, the leads were handled almost exclusively but the others in the show.  But Clinton, deftly and subtly conducted the whole affair calling cues and keeping sure everyone was crisply on the beat, "up  for the downstroke," so to speak.

Lately, Clinton has been playing small club-like venues.  Last night, being the performance was free and well publicized, there was a crowd of some ten thousand, most of whom were familiar with and enjoying the music.  It seemed to be a big lift for the band.

Having been a P-Funk fan since 4th grade, this was the first time I had the opportunity to see him perform live.  The last two times he was scheduled to appear he mysteriously was "ill," and couldn't attend.  (Keep in mind, he IS 70, and his works hard onstage).   I also had the pleasure of attending the show with my daughters, who also love P-Funk, and my wife who loves me, if not the rhythmic thump of uncut funk.

Personal highlight: I was dressed in a suit and tie and looking like a middle-aged, overweight white guy.  At one point  I was singing some lyrics only a hardcore fan would know. A black guy, who had a look that could have easily been at home onstage with the band walked by me and said "Sing it, Homie!"  Big grin.

All in all, a good time was had by all.  A tight performance, and a great way to bring in a new year.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:40:39 AM by allenzachary »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic NYE 2012 Columbia SC
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 07:03:41 AM »
Awesome!   :thumb:

jsaliga

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:18:50 AM »
...Eddie Haskell...

That's Eddie Hazel.  Eddie Haskell was a character from "Leave it to Beaver."  ;)

--Jerome
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:03:02 AM by jsaliga »

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:36:33 AM »
...Eddie Haskell...

That's Eddie Hazel.  Eddie Haskell was a character from "Leave it to Beaver."  ;)

--Jerome

Right...I was out until 3AM partyin' on the Mothership.  I am a bit bleary-eyed this morning.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:04 PM »
...Eddie Haskell...

That's Eddie Hazel.  Eddie Haskell was a character from "Leave it to Beaver."  ;)

--Jerome

Ah yes, those were much simpler times. Eddie could walk into the kitchen and say "Hi Mrs. Cleaver, hows the Beaver?"   :shock:  and nobody thought twice about it.  :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables