Author Topic: Vibrapods and Hardrives  (Read 4910 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Vibrapods and Hardrives
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »
 So I'm sitting in the sweet spot everything sounding just right and bingo the Nervosa begins. You know if I change the tube in the pre, no, the amp, move the speakers a bit, change some footers. As I started to get up the thrill of change was growing. Then al of a sudden reality struck. LEAVE IT ALONE YOU DUMB ARSE IT SOUNDS FINE. Saved from nervosa grabbed a beer and started listening again. Boy that was close.
   Later into the evening out of no where I grabbed three vibrapods and ran upstairs to put under the harddrive. Figuring OK not touching the main rig a good thing and feeding the nervosa at the same time. BRILLIANT! So under they went.
   Well as Bullwinkle used to say ******&^&)($#@#&^ , never could understand him, it sounded like a veil had been lifted. Never thought it would make any difference but it did. Am I hearing things or am I nuts all together. Has anyone experimented with isolating the hardrive on anything else ?  Noticed Mapleshade offers some sort of maple and spikes but just shrugged it off as overkill. Now I'm singing a different song. Those pods are affective and the music is clearer with more information present.
  So men what have you tried with success ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Vibrapods and Hardrives
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:51:14 PM »
I have actually tried this experiment and didn't notice any difference.. I'd recommend swapping back to no vibrapods and listen for the change back to the way it was... I wouldn't be surprised if the difference is actually from the vibrapods and not from doing something else (inadvertently)... but who knows?  Maybe you have a vibration-prone HD. 

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 07:28:22 AM »
 We have a Dell hardrive. If I put my hand on the top a vibration is felt. So changed the vibrapds to brass cones. While the vibrapods made a difference the cones made a bigger difference. A good one.
   The System is about as resolving a one can be. I noticed more space around instruments, bettrer decay of notes and more solid harmonic overtones. Bass was tighter as well.
   Appears to me there can be an improvement with experimentation. Next going to open up the hardrive to see what internal dampening of the case and other areas can be done. Wonder if the computer DIYers have any tricks up their sleeves.
    Tonight a different powercord will be tried. An Omega Mikro active then one of my homemade babies. Should prove interesting at the least. We shall see. Already using a Monster power conditioner plugged into a Richard Gray { all the stuff that didn't work for my main system ]. Made a big difference.

charles

charles   
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:30:02 AM by rollo »
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:44:29 AM »
Oh, it sounds like you are putting pods/cones under the case/enclosure of your PC.  The hard drive is in its own enclosure, inside the PC.  I thought you had it loose.. or were using an external drive.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:03:27 PM »
Here is a strange thing I have encountered concerning my laptop and replay from its hard drive,damn if it doesn't sound better when the laptop is setting on rollerball isolation devices ala Darumas or FIM. Of course the laptop consists of more than just a hard drive, its full fans whirring and and circuitry which may benefit from some kind if vibration suppression or isolation. My setup consists of a an ASUS Z84jp feeding SPDIF from an on board Realtek ALC 882 using AISO drivers out a mini-toslink port via a 4 meter glass toslink cable to a heavily modified Cambridge 740C. Foobar2K or MonkeyMedia with ASIO drivers are used.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:12:19 AM »
Oh, it sounds like you are putting pods/cones under the case/enclosure of your PC.  The hard drive is in its own enclosure, inside the PC.  I thought you had it loose.. or were using an external drive.

Carlman as you can tell I'm not that computer savoy. Learning a little more each day. The powercord made a difference as well. Not sure what type of AC filtering is in the computer for EMI. RFI. Case has ferrite impregnated in the plastic I'm told. Wonder if shielding the entire case would make any difference. Copper foil ? Will try wrapping case in alum foil with ground wire to ground. Fun fun fun.

charles