Author Topic: LS9 Review  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
LS9 Review
« on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:27 PM »
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: LS9 Review
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
lukewarm
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
Because?
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:38:24 AM »
Most likely the drivers
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:51:27 AM »
I've heard them multiple times and they CAN sound very very good indeed.  The thing that has turned me off is that they tend to need to be played pretty loud to really come alive.

Not like some speakers where you just need an amp with an iron fist to control things but volume is variable - these really just don't come alive til you push them  - then they're great.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
I've enjoyed them at low volumes in the past, but I will agree that they need to be in a larger space and turned up enough to breathe a little in order to reach their potential.  Still, I don't think they need to be cranked to 11 or anything. (although they certainly can be)  People with a smaller space should probably get the LS6 instead.

On the flip side, I don't think many competitors can touch them when it comes to dynamics and scale while resolving such detail.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:03:25 PM by woofersus »
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 05:24:58 PM »
finesse and beauty is what they lack

they are good for HT though :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:15:18 PM »

they are good for HT though :thumb:

I don't know Mike, if physical beauty is what you are talking about I'd have to say that the high gloss rosewood finish certainly gets my juices flowing.  :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 04:33:15 AM »
I was speaking sonic beauty, I heard the 6's and the 9's and was not impressed. They can do scale but the subtle microdynamics that evoke emotion are completly missing.

again ideal for HT though

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »
I've enjoyed them at low volumes in the past, but I will agree that they need to be in a larger space and turned up enough to breathe a little in order to reach their potential.  Still, I don't think they need to be cranked to 11 or anything. (although they certainly can be)  People with a smaller space should probably get the LS6 instead.

On the flip side, I don't think many competitors can touch them when it comes to dynamics and scale while resolving such detail.

11?  Nope - but a solid 8-9.  IMO, the LS-6 is even moreso that way.  Different strokes...

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
I had Shadowlight's LS6 while he redid his listening area, and found them great for 'big sound' like Rock and big symphonic stuff. The climax to Shostakovitch's 'Leningrad' symphony was 1st rate with them.

But in my 50's I find myself moving more towards intimate jazz of the 50's and early 60's, and the reviewer had the same thought I had, the line source approach really isn't the way to reproduce this type of music.

I found myself looking for more 'warmth' and 'involvement' WITH the music than the line source approach wanted to provide me.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 11:37:15 AM »

A lot of this has to do with what you are driving them with as well as how far back you are from the speakers. I have gone through several different amplifiers with the LS-9's I have here and they all produce different results in regard to low level resolution and information. With the LS-9's (I don't know about the 6's), synergy and listening habits are critical but I can say that they are capable of very good low level listening when paired with the right amplification.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com