Author Topic: Reality Cables back in the house  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Reality Cables back in the house
« on: July 23, 2007, 04:52:51 AM »
I tried to use my Reality Cables as biwires by snipping the spades and connecting the loose wires to the posts... I learned I had (unknowingly) broken them at some point because one set of leads didn't work... So, now I had a set of broken cables.  So, I sent them to Gregg for repairs.

I had borrowed a pair of Piega speaker cables... the exact type of cable that the speakers are wired with in a bi-wire configuration with banana plugs... very easy and convenient.  (Thanks again to Bobby)  Without these, I would've resorted to Home Depot stuff... and that stuff always sounds harsh in the mids to me.

Anyway, I got the Reality Cables in the mail a few days ago and here's what I wrote Gregg:
Just wanted to say thanks for the nice work on my cables.  They look brand new.
Your cables have been in my system playing for a few days non-stop… at various volumes.  It’s SO nice to have them back.  I was thinking I’d made a mistake with the speakers I’d bought.. they weren’t that much better than what I had and cost twice as much… I was using the Piega bi-wires with banana plugs and there was something wrong with the pace of the music.  They also sounded a bit sterile and/or gave an ‘electronic’ personality to everything.  When I first put your cables in, I was pretty pleased but didn’t have a chance to listen… but I had an ‘ahhhh, there it is’ reaction.  I finally got a chance to listen last night and it was just beautiful.  The music was back… a REAL presentation in my room…. And I’m hearing things I didn’t hear with my previous speakers so I feel a LOT better about that purchase as well.  I’m using your IC’s from preamp to amp and Grover’s from source to preamp. 

I can't believe what a transformation a pair of SC's can have on my perception of a system.  The Reality's are true to their name... I can hear everything perfectly in balance and presented very naturally... and with loads of detail.  I find I don't battle with the volume control anymore with the Reality's in the system... just great.  I'm seriously considering re-wiring the internals with Gregg's cable now.  Just too cool.... we'll see...

I'll try and get some photos of the 2 types of jumpers Gregg sent... I'm experimenting with 2 types to see which sounds better... and I'm still getting used to the new-found emotional attachment I have now. :)  More on that later...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

carusoracer

Re: Reality Cables back in the house
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:32:11 AM »
Old thread but...What was your impression of the jumpers and which one did you settle on? I'm using just a basic Cardas brass metal jumper that came with my speakers

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:50:51 PM »
I ended up with the ones that look like miniature versions of Gregg's regular speaker cables....
I'm still very pleased with the Reality cables.
-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:55:19 PM »
I have a pair of these Reality Jumpers on my Merlin VSM-MX's now in place of the Cardas ones that came with them.  As Carl said mostly, nicely balanced but with loads of nice detail without being harsh.  I also like the Reality versions quite a lot.  Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra