Author Topic: Revel Performa3  (Read 22911 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Revel Performa3
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
The new mid level Revel speakers, between Concerta and Ultima2. These replace the F52 F32 etc.

Carl and I took a road trip today to listen to a pair of these at the dealer. They were new and not yet broken in, but showing a lot of promise. We threw everything at them, changing electronics midway, they did not flinch one bit.

We both concluded that we could live with these. They play loud, clear, confident. Well balanced tonality with solid mid bass foundation. Very musical, easy to get lost in the music because tonal flaws do not distract. Tons of detail. Solo violin richer tone and texture than my old Ushers or Quads. Very impressive. More later

Offline richidoo

Re: Revel Performa3
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »
We heard the F208, with dual 8" woofers, 5" mid and aluminum tweeter in waveguide. It is the largest model available now, with one larger F308 maybe coming in the future, with 3 woofers.

We also heard the next size down the F206, with 6" woofers, shorter. It was playing compressed Hairy Carrie Underweary so it didn't sound great. The tweeter is too revealling. But on normal recordings, even 50s mono CDs it sounded fine. The heavy compression of digital TV or low res mp3 might be too edgy for tender ears.

The F208 played pretty well on Sol's 60W integrated, but sounded more confident albeit not quite as refined highs on dealers' Anthem HT electronics. With Carl's DAC and JPS wires it was a bit better, but not night and day. Anthem sounded VG

Gotta run again

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »
The dealer is Sound Decisions in Wilmington, NC. Great service, Eric really went out of his way to assure a thorough audition for us.

The ports sounded very clean. Bass was a little dynamically compressed compared to the large woofers I am used to, but it's not noticeable on most music, just symphonies with little recording compression.

The sweet spot is very big. Leaning left to right I didn't notice much difference at all. Moving 4 feet to the chair beside the sweet spot the tonality didn't change at all, but the stereo image suffered, as expected. The waveguide really helps off axis tonality. He had no room treatments per se, but the wide variety of music we played all sounded good at high and low SPL levels.

We figured 100W@8R 200W@4R would be about right for these. They are supposedly 88.5 @2.83V.

Nice speakers!! I might try to reel in a pair.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:58:25 PM »
If my memory serves me well...I remember Carl owning a pair of Revel's in the past.... :thumb:

........but I forgot which model ? :?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:46:15 PM »
I think they were F30s, which he liked a lot. He has recommended I give Revels a shot a few times over the years and he was eager to hear these new ones. Hopefully he will chime in when he gets a chance. He is a bizimf these days.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:08:34 AM »
Ive been drueling over Revel speakers for a while. Im glad the new ones sound so good. I loved the F52s, the only thing was I felt the bass was a tad dry sounding. How is the F208 vs the F52? I bet those 8 inch drivers are really satisfying.
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
Mike, The bass was very good. It is powerful and full bodied up to 500Hz, like a 6SN7 tube built in, then clean and flat above that. Some of my tracks sounded a little too round for me like Rufus Reid on Kenny Barron Live at Bradleys, but other tracks sounded very clear. Classical bass violins sounded full and satisfying, but I know there is a little more detail to be had. If I didn't know what was missing I would be happy with the sound. Carl thought that the bass was better on the Revels than his speakers with dual 6.5" woofers. Nothing sounded dry, if anything leaning toward the warm side for me. But that might have been caused by the rear of the speakers placed only about a foot from the front wall. With a little more space I would expect them open up to sound just about right.  Very deep bass like organ music was musically enjoyable, but I only heard one fundamental during the piece. It comes with port bungs so you can easily add a sub. He had a JL 112 sub but we didn't use it.

Also, these speakers are brand new, the dealer said there was  only about 15 hours of time on them. Revel recommends 300 hours break in. So the bass will open up a lot more, get deeper and more relaxed. Treble should smooth out more too, but I was happy with the tweeter so more is just gravy.

Someone on Agon forum claimed that the xo uses all aircore coils. Can anyone verify that?

Also, this speaker is a space monster. Ambient cues are well presented to create a strong feeling of recorded space. Carl noted good soundstage height.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 08:30:32 AM »
IMO any speaker that Kevin Voecks is involved with in design would be a winner.
    The amps are key to Revel sound. Really like his Snell designs. Still lusting after the A-1 The Snell "B" can bring ya to the dance as well. With a mod to the crossover [ tweeter ] they can be magical. Weight, body, detail and most of all bass and slamatronics.
  Ya do not see many for sale. There is reason for that.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline machinehead

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
I have Snell E IV. Did he design those too. Funny how back in the day speakers were so much bigger. The E IV are big.
Its cool ndude.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
I have Snell E IV. Did he design those too. Funny how back in the day speakers were so much bigger. The E IV are big.

If you own them and are using them try them again. great bass and mid bass response. The tweeter and rear firing tweeter need a mod to be perfecto. The L-pad has got to go. Resistor changes as well.
   Tom M. from our club knows the deal. great speaker.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 05:29:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing this, Rich. I was very excited to hear them but was expecting a let down. I owned the Revel F30's (good memory, Chris!) I did like them but they were just a tad harsh in the upper mids and/or highs. I loved the bass from its 10" woofer.

Anyway, the new 208's were worth the trip to hear. I would LOVE to hear them in my room on my amp, broken in. Who knows, maybe one day.

These speakers are a good compromise of forgiving and detailed. You can pick out the details without getting them forced down your throat. The prat was great, due to the sound being so cohesive top to bottom with great bass detail and speed. It sounded like one speaker, and not a bunch of drivers.

I agree with Rich. Good speaker. Solid performer, very good value.

Thanks to Rich for putting together the trip. Lots of fun! :)

Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
Oh, and meant to mention that these are a lot more refined in the upper mids and highs than my old F30's.

It was interesting to listen in that area because its quite a difference from what I'm used to with my Piegas. The Piegas offer a near lifelike upper mid impact especially on piano and vocals. The Revels didn't delineate all the different elements of the highs like I'm used to but they did enough to get the music right. This forgiving presentation is what allowed me to listen to anything at any volume and get sucked into the music.

The upper mid/high info was all there, just presented with less impact or intensity as I'm familiar with on the Piegas.

I've upgraded the Piegas to the point that they fare well against anything even close to their price. These Revels are in their league, which is impressive at this price point ($4500).

Offline machinehead

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Yeah there prices actually are cheaper vs the F52, though they are different designs. Cant wait to hear them. Maybe they will be at the NY show?
Its cool ndude.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 06:09:37 PM »
First used pair of F208 on AGon: 

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-revel-f208-performa3-floorstanding-speaker-2013-04-14-speakers-77478  $3750 in TX   A couple F206s seen there recently too.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »
Tempting.  They are not for everyone.. so hope to see more of them used.  :)