Author Topic: Vandy 2CIs  (Read 8114 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Vandy 2CIs
« on: November 03, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »
Just scored these from an AC member in DE.

Previous owner had made new 'socks' for them, so they look good.

Most likely these will go in my second system, but dropped them in main system for now to get a listen. Quick snapshot, better bottom end than Reference 3s, but not the high end I'm used to. Of course the Ref 3s have a Vifa tweeter and a super-tweeter, so that's to be expected. Listening to a SACD of Lang Lang on piano to get a sense of the mids, and if the essential 'piano sound' is being reproduced.

1st pic is left side, you can see the 10" enclosed sub I was trying to incorporate into the Ref 3 setup, but it wasn't satisfactory for music.

2nd pic is right speaker. All around are some of Shadowlight's diy panels, 3 in front of fireplace, 1 in each corner for bass, and 1 each at left and right 1st reflection points, though right side has a halfwall, above it is open to kitchen and eating area.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:22:08 AM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Vandy 2CIs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:17:26 AM »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58:01 AM »
  Way to go baby. A classic in every respect. If ya paired them with an Audio Research Classic 60 or other AR amp oh my !! Thy love AR gear. Enjoy !! Excellent speaker.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

evan1

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »
So when is the Rave ?

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »
Congratulation Gene

eleazar

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »
That's great Gene, so what's next perhaps a tube amp in your furture ??

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »

Right after I get a gun an mask and steal TMAZZ'.

Seriously, I had to sell the Shelter 501 cart. to fund this purchase, so nothing else new for awhile.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
So when is the Rave ?

I was thinking of hauling them up to D's to compare against his new OB speakers, but I'm about to get real busy at work, so it may be awhile.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
Hated these this morning when I first hooked them up, but they were cold from being in the garage 24 hours. Let them play in background through the morning, sat down about 1pm and listened again, getting better.

Then put them up on their stands, and moved them into the spots the Ref 3s had been in, now we're getting somewhere.

Sounstage settling in, low and mid is very nice, though not as dynamic as the Ref 3s. Still not sure about the top end, but it's a work in progress.

Sound is very reminiscent of my old Advents and AR 9LS.

They go with 50's/60's jazz nicely. :thumb:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 04:12:12 PM by etcarroll »

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
So when is the Rave ?

I was thinking of hauling them up to D's to compare against his new OB speakers, but I'm about to get real busy at work, so it may be awhile.

Let me know when you are going to have a weekend free and we can set something up.

eleazar

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 05:41:14 PM »
No telling how long they have been idle they may need to loosen up a bit. You know a little stiff

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »

Right after I get a gun an mask and steal TMAZZ'.

Seriously, I had to sell the Shelter 501 cart. to fund this purchase, so nothing else new for awhile.

If you are going to try to carry that amp out of my basement you had better bring a gun, a mask and a truss.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »
  You stole these Jessie James. What a price. I was looking at them and then gone gone gone you devil. He he he.
   Truly a great little speaker. Better than most full, rich yet detailed, oh my !!. Enjoy enjoy enjoy !!!.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
I had used a pair of Vandy 2CI's for years and loved them. They were improved by using Sound Anchor stands.