Author Topic: SP Tech Speakers  (Read 19768 times)

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
I'm surprised Carl hasn't weighed in yet.  IIRC, he had a pair of SP's briefly, and really liked them.  I didn't get over there to hear them before he switched to Piega's.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 01:31:30 PM »
I had a pair with a defective crossover part... so, what I heard isn't representative.... I also think they were too big for my room.  I felt that a room with a 15' to 20' width is probably the right amount of space for the Timepieces... I currently have 11. :(

I heard them in NY at Daniel's and enjoyed them... but that was almost 2 years ago.  So, not much to report, unfortunately.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 09:40:24 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
I had a pair with a defective crossover part... so, what I heard isn't representative.... I also think they were too big for my room.  I felt that a room with a 15' to 20' width is probably the right amount of space for the Timepieces... I currently have 11. :(

I heard them in NY at Daniel's and enjoyed them... but that was almost 2 years ago.  So, not much to report, unfortunately.

-C
My Timepiece 2.1s were delivered with the same issue Carl referenced above.  Though I'm probably the most active, vocal and loyal SP Tech advocate you'll find, I almost returned my Timepiece 2.1s after a couple of weeks.  For those who don't know me very well, that was a *HUGE* near-event, and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with anything audio related than I was those speakers.

I tried every trick in the book available to me at the time to make them listenable, but the best I got wasn't nearly good enough.  I finally contacted Bob and told him he had two options; figure out what was wrong and fix it, or refund my money after taking receipt of my speakers.  Luckily for me, he chose the latter.

My Timepieces are everything Bob said they would be, and it's too bad Carl and a few others who heard the demo speakers weren't able to enjoy a properly constructed pair.  That's not to say or even imply they would've liked them - to each his own - but the audition tour turned out to be a terrible waste of time and effort.  Bob has only himself to blame for that, and he'll be the first to admit it.

FWIW...

-Jim

PS - My room is only 13'x19', and there are folks who enjoy their Timepieces in rooms quite a bit smaller.  I think the desire to be farther away from the horrible sound coming from Carl's speakers may have led him to believe their room size requirement is larger than a 'corrected' pair actually needs.  My listening distance is 12'-15', and I couldn't get far enough away from the 'uncorrected' pair to save my life.  :wink:

Don't think the wink means it isn't true.  It is, as my wife can verify.  What a miserable 3 weeks that was.  :(

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 10:07:07 PM »
Well, I guess I'll find out soon what all the hoopla is about as I just sent Bob a deposit on the Timepieces
(with the old standard finsh). He'll get started next week.    :D
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »
:lol:
Your post cracked me up, Jim... I definitely didn't want to go into my sound room during the TP's visit.  Bob offered to send me another pair but I'd already found a deal on a pair or Piega's that I didn't want to miss.

I didn't realize the issue completely altered the sound of the speaker... I mean, the bass blew me out of the room.  I must have had a 30db peak at 30-40 Hz.  The mids and highs were hard and honky (which is where I thought the defect announced itself) but the bass is what led me to believe they needed a bigger room.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Double Ugly

SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 05:15:42 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
I didn't realize the issue completely altered the sound of the speaker... I mean, the bass blew me out of the room.  I must have had a 30db peak at 30-40 Hz.  The mids and highs were hard and honky (which is where I thought the defect announced itself) but the bass is what led me to believe they needed a bigger room.
Yes, one aspect of the correction changed the sound from top to bottom.  Even so, the mids and highs were so bad that I really didn't notice much about the bass.  'Course, we're most sensitive to the mids, and their near complete absence of anything resembling organic had me dumbfounded... and climbing the walls.

That said, there may have been a room/speaker issue.  Bob is very, very careful about the frequency response being linear (a foundation of his design approach), but who's to say what the 'uncorrected' speakers were doing.  All I can say for sure is that they were doing it badly!  :(

Conversely, Nick...

Quote from: "Nick B"
Well, I guess I'll find out soon what all the hoopla is about as I just sent Bob a deposit on the Timepieces
(with the old standard finsh). He'll get started next week.    :D
...is gonna be wearing a big smile for at least a month!  :D

-Jim