Author Topic: My DIY Speaker options  (Read 23773 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: My DIY Speaker options
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
Hey Mike!! Nice to see you.

Of course, listen before buying, always. Just thinkin out loud. I have no intention of buying commercial speaker ever again, unless I am too busy or too rich to waste my time building.

Thanks for the sub advice. God knows you have some experience there.  The digital filters offer all those adjustments you mentioned so I would probably head in that direction. Are you still using the Behringer (or was it Furman?) sub amps?

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 08:36:07 AM »
I'm done building speakers.  I have so many projects on the go now, I don't even want to attempt it.  I built close to a hundred different speaker designs over the years *at least*, most of the time with less than ideal tools.  Sometimes I farmed the cabinets out to get a more professional look, sometimes not.

Between landscaping, business, better half, etc. there is absolutely no time to do it.  I remember the joy of tweaking a design and getting something really cool.  Lots of folks have some great speakers for less than I paid in parts as a result. 

I'll stick with commercial from here on out as it relates to speakers... the woodworking is the thing that prohibits me from dabbling.... I would ultimately want a CNC and a nice shop.  The postage stamp lot my house sits on now isn't conducive to building the appropriate shop to do all this stuff.....  and on the electronics side, I'm not skilled enough nor have enough desire to do it myself... I really enjoy the process, though.  My current amp project with Sol is going to be really fun to listen to and tweak...

I'll be happy to have a listen when you finish, Rich and enjoy your labor :) hehehe... I'll try not to cringe or use some of my slang sayings if it hits my hot buttons ;)
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 09:00:01 AM »
Before I become involved in DIYing my own loudspeakers again I will be buying some serious measuring tools. LMS or some other sophisticated software. Without the ability to measure the drivers impedance curve and the raw drivers behavior in a test box as well as the final design it is impossible to get it right you just wind up chasing your tail. I am also addicted to the qualities a quasi-second order series network brings to the table and this creates some additional problems with designing a speaker,making measuring accurately even more important.
Scotty

miklorsmith

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
Well, I figure I haven't doled out my customary dose of unsolicited opinion in a while, so . . .

Yep, still have the Behringer A500 amps.  I'm only using one right now, the small room can get by with 300 or so wpc in the bass.   :D  The big room definitely likes the monos and 500 better.  At $200 a piece, no reason not to go monos with short speaker cables if you're inclined that way.  Subs under the spheres?

I spent a lot of time with TacT stuff.  I had the 2.0s, the 2.2X, and the XP.  Those things are spendy, and I didn't like the DACs.  So I spent a bunch of money going through DACs to get the sound right.  The Altmann and Lessloss were the best I found but something wasn't right.  I decided the digital processing itself was the problem and after switching to the Lamm preamp I believe that even stronger.  Now this was something like $8k worth of digital XO/processing, presumably about as good as was available a couple years ago.

Now I'm using a complicated XO/processor just for 100 hz down.  At these frequencies the processing is invisible as far as I can tell.  This works great because these are the problem areas in almost all rooms.  And, the processor I'm using is still the dbx 260 which can be had for $500 if you look around.  It has all the bells and whistles plus more that I haven't even played with yet (need to do that).  Oh yeah, in stereo.  Actually it has six channels and the capability to remember 100 presets for movies and such.

It sits in my rack, once I get the room calibrated I set the control screen to 'sub level'.  Different moods, volumes, albums want a little more or a little less bass juice.  I can spin the dial in .1 db increments to pressurize the room exactly to taste at any time.

You could build this setup for your subs to compliment the spheres perfectly.  The subs could be completely passive, no circuitry inside.  Park the Behringers behind or to the side and connect with 10 gauge romex wire.  Long balanced cables to the dbx which could sit in your rack.

Then of course you'd need a microphone, mic preamp, and Room EQ Wizard.  Hog heaven, all DIY, and no passive XO to buy/build/screw up.  Even if you got the XO right, it'd still be wrong.  :)

If you designed the subs to sit under the spheres, full phase control would ensure that's the "right spot", wherever "that spot" worked best for sound from the spheres.  

I'm tellin' ya, once you get past the active bass learning mode, you Will Never Go Back.  I would never again even consider ANY speaker that didn't include this functionality.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
I'm intending to use active filters in any of these project, except in the case of DtQWT which has well designed passive crossovers. Passive filter design is the hard part.   Once I heard Selah Audio's Mejor speakers with DEQX crossover I was hooked. It's a completely different animal.

The Feastrex should fetch down to 70Hz in the sealed box, so a flexible digital lopass filter on the bass drivers should be able to match up with the main easily. Not sure if it would go under the spheres, or elsewhere. Good to know the Behringers are still working out for you. At low freqs it is a perfect solution. They are class D, right?

Measurement equipment and design software is especially important when designing for passive crossovers. With active there is a lot more flexibility as long as you stay within the limits of physics. Choosing compatible quality drivers is the most important part.  This is the golden age of audio drivers. You can even buy brand new copies of the best vintage drivers.

Shane I'm counting on your canary reactions. Don't ever change!  But don't hold your breath either. This won't be done for a couple months.

miklorsmith

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »
Their manual specifies Class AB, they don't heat up much - must be biased into B.  They weigh 20 pounds a piece, have big transformers, and put out 600 watts peak bridged!  Smokin' deals for sub duty.

You could *try* doing the spheres XOverless, knowing the backup could be some sort of filter.  Those drivers are so awesome I'd just try to hear them as pure as possible.

On sub placement, if you get the phase right and they cross in the area you're talking, you should be able to put them anywhere.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »
Just what I was thinking.

djdube525

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »
Between landscaping, business, better half, etc. there is absolutely no time to do it.

Boy that sentence resonates with me... between grad school and work... there's no time to dabble... let alone funds to dabble in....

I think it's been over a month since I've been able to sit down and listen to some music. Each term seems to get worse and worse... and it's so nice outside too. The last thing I want to do is work on a bunch of case studies. :(

Dave

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 06:20:03 AM »
Between landscaping, business, better half, etc. there is absolutely no time to do it.

Boy that sentence resonates with me... between grad school and work... there's no time to dabble... let alone funds to dabble in....

I think it's been over a month since I've been able to sit down and listen to some music. Each term seems to get worse and worse... and it's so nice outside too. The last thing I want to do is work on a bunch of case studies. :(

Dave

Just remember that the time you put in NOW will benifit you later. Hang in there buddy.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Selah Audio

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »

Of course, listen before buying, always. Just thinkin out loud. I have no intention of buying commercial speaker ever again, unless I am too busy or too rich to waste my time building.

Thanks for the sub advice. God knows you have some experience there.  The digital filters offer all those adjustments you mentioned so I would probably head in that direction. Are you still using the Behringer (or was it Furman?) sub amps?

No more demos of commercial speakers for you!  :rofl:

Seriously, I will be setting up a demo soon of something very different. I'll extend an invitation to everyone here for a listening session.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2010, 06:49:06 AM »
Busted! You make kits, right? ;)

Looking forward to seeing you soon Rick.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 05:55:27 AM »

Nice to see you here on this side of the pond.

charles

No more demos of commercial speakers for you!  :rofl:

Seriously, I will be setting up a demo soon of something very different. I'll extend an invitation to everyone here for a listening session.
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.