Author Topic: Receptacle Burn-In  (Read 6668 times)

Offline jspivey

Receptacle Burn-In
« on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:00 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm new around these part and this in my first thread. Go easy, please.  :lmc:

It's timely because I've just received a couple of receptacles I'm looking to install for the stereo. They are a Furutech GTX-D (R) and a Oyaide R1 both purchased new, in-box. I've heard the Furutech can go though a long and weird break-in process. Any recommendations on breaking this receptacle in prior to installing for the stereo?

Also I plan on swapping this receptacle at the wall where I'll have a RevB MajikBUSS connected along with a MiniBUSS into the Majik!

As for the Oyaide R1, I don't really have a plan for it at the moment. Should I perhaps get it cryo'd before using it? It seems the cryo process can have a great affect on receptacles. Happy to hear some thoughts.

JOE

Raven Audio Osprey / Audio Note Soro SE
3A Reference MM de Capo BE > Sklyan Stands
Zu DL103 (Boron/MR) > VPI Traveler > K&K SUT > Tavish Designs Vintage 6SL7 Phono
Allo USBridge / Oppo 103 > Border Patrol SE (SPDIF + USB) DAC

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Receptacle Burn-In
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:33:55 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm new around these part and this in my first thread. Go easy, please.  :lmc:

It's timely because I've just received a couple of receptacles I'm looking to install for the stereo. They are a Furutech GTX-D (R) and a Oyaide R1 both purchased new, in-box. I've heard the Furutech can go though a long and weird break-in process. Any recommendations on breaking this receptacle in prior to installing for the stereo?

Also I plan on swapping this receptacle at the wall where I'll have a RevB MajikBUSS connected along with a MiniBUSS into the Majik!

As for the Oyaide R1, I don't really have a plan for it at the moment. Should I perhaps get it cryo'd before using it? It seems the cryo process can have a great affect on receptacles. Happy to hear some thoughts.

JOE

Hopefully Mr Uber, aka Dave, will give his thoughts. I have an Uber and I know he polishes the receptacles, but don’t think I’ve heard him say that he has them cryod as well
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »
  Welcome Joe. Good question. It takes 250-300 hours for those Furutech receptacles to fully break in. Do you leave your gear "ON" 24/7 or not ?
   Cyro treatment never hurts. I found found after thousands of hours of breaking in new products that 12 hours on 12 hours off works best for break-in. Sucks to do but very affective. I tell ya almost gave up with the Furutech as it was just taking what seemed forever to just stop changing. However patience paid off.
  NOTHING better than clean power for audio.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jspivey

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 09:10:48 AM »
  Welcome Joe. Good question. It takes 250-300 hours for those Furutech receptacles to fully break in. Do you leave your gear "ON" 24/7 or not ?
   Cyro treatment never hurts. I found found after thousands of hours of breaking in new products that 12 hours on 12 hours off works best for break-in. Sucks to do but very affective. I tell ya almost gave up with the Furutech as it was just taking what seemed forever to just stop changing. However patience paid off.

charles

Thanks for the welcome Charles! I have tube gear so I turn it off when not in use. I work from home so usually I'll have it on for 8hr on/off cycles generally. So my normal routine seems like a favorable situation perhaps. Do you think installing the receptacle on the kitchen refrigerator would help with break-in? Maybe not the best for on/off cycle as you recommended.

As for cryo treatment, I know Furutech does it before it leaves the factory. As for the Oyaide, I believe they don't. So I suppose if I can find someone to cryo it, I might give it a shot given I'm not in a hurry to use it. Or maybe I should try it for a while at some point, and have it cryo'd later on if I find myself using it.

Always in search of clean power! Living in the city of Chicago and in a townhouse community sharing close living areas and with all the 'stuff' we have in houses today... it really is a complete necessity... at least for me it's the case.

I've had the pleasure of purchasing some of Dave's great BUSS products, and after reading some posts here at AN, it sounds like he's been busy and has some newer stuff he's been working... Digi, Buss-Station? and whatnot! Very cool.
Zu DL103 (Boron/MR) > VPI Traveler > K&K SUT > Tavish Designs Vintage 6SL7 Phono

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Charles! I have tube gear so I turn it off when not in use. I work from home so usually I'll have it on for 8hr on/off cycles generally. So my normal routine seems like a favorable situation perhaps. Do you think installing the receptacle on the kitchen refrigerator would help with break-in? Maybe not the best for on/off cycle as you recommended.

As for cryo treatment, I know Furutech does it before it leaves the factory. As for the Oyaide, I believe they don't. So I suppose if I can find someone to cryo it, I might give it a shot given I'm not in a hurry to use it. Or maybe I should try it for a while at some point, and have it cryo'd later on if I find myself using it.

Always in search of clean power! Living in the city of Chicago and in a townhouse community sharing close living areas and with all the 'stuff' we have in houses today... it really is a complete necessity... at least for me it's the case.

I've had the pleasure of purchasing some of Dave's great BUSS products, and after reading some posts here at AN, it sounds like he's been busy and has some newer stuff he's been working... Digi, Buss-Station? and whatnot! Very cool.

If you want to install at Ref. I think it it is a wasted effort. If you can play 8 hours a day go that route. You can and will hear the break in process. I found that educational.
   As a dealer we need to break the new gear in before demonstrate them. After literally thousands of hours logged in break in we learned that before the said piece settles you will hear the worst then bliss, amazing but true.
    Hang in there. Nice gear BTW.

charles

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jspivey

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »

If you want to install at Ref. I think it it is a wasted effort. If you can play 8 hours a day go that route. You can and will hear the break in process. I found that educational.
   As a dealer we need to break the new gear in before demonstrate them. After literally thousands of hours logged in break in we learned that before the said piece settles you will hear the worst then bliss, amazing but true.

charles

I'm cool with listening to the break-in process..like you said, it's educational. I've never intentionally done anything special to break-in previous gear. I usually just plug it in, and play.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »
For general consumpion.  EVERY part that sees duty in any of my products is cryogenicall treated for 48-72 hours before I use them.  I get them in - they go to the cryo oven.  It's like chicken soup - couldn't hurt for what ails us.

Breal-in is a strange phenomenon and it varies greatly for different components.  Some are broken in in a few hours, some take hundreds of hours.  Much of this has to do with dielectrics in play.  PVC b reaks in the quickest, teflon takes the longest.  I have not been able to make a decision on wool, cotton or silk.  Airbound dielectrics seem to not have any break-in time.  Makes sense.  That is why I use organic fiber dielectrics whenever possible.

Rhodium is your bi-polar, paranoid schizophrenic junkie cousin.  Takes forever to break-in (300-600 hours) depending upon application.  It does have some great attributes like clarity, low noise and dramatic dynamics.    We travel quite a bit to see our family.  I have found that the GTX(R) NCF will regress over the period on a couple of weeks and then go through a short break-in when we return.  Bercause of this I plug 40W lightbulbs into those receptacles when we travel.  Keeps them happy.

Audio, my friend, is weird and so are we   :beer:

George Thorogood - "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »

charles

Cool now play the same CD over and over and you will hear the changes.

charles

I'm cool with listening to the break-in process..like you said, it's educational. I've never intentionally done anything special to break-in previous gear. I usually just plug it in, and play.

DRN

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
Yes, I just put one of the Furutech's in too.
2 weeks now. Just going to let it flow..........

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
Yes, I just put one of the Furutech's in too.
2 weeks now. Just going to let it flow..........

Keep us posted if you’re noticing changes through the breakin. Don’t think I own any Furutechs. Probably just P & S from Dave
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »
For general consumpion.  EVERY part that sees duty in any of my products is cryogenicall treated for 48-72 hours before I use them.  I get them in - they go to the cryo oven.  It's like chicken soup - couldn't hurt for what ails us.

Breal-in is a strange phenomenon and it varies greatly for different components.  Some are broken in in a few hours, some take hundreds of hours.  Much of this has to do with dielectrics in play.  PVC b reaks in the quickest, teflon takes the longest.  I have not been able to make a decision on wool, cotton or silk.  Airbound dielectrics seem to not have any break-in time.  Makes sense.  That is why I use organic fiber dielectrics whenever possible.

Rhodium is your bi-polar, paranoid schizophrenic junkie cousin.  Takes forever to break-in (300-600 hours) depending upon application.  It does have some great attributes like clarity, low noise and dramatic dynamics.    We travel quite a bit to see our family. I have found that the GTX(R) NCF will regress over the period on a couple of weeks and then go through a short break-in when we return.  Because of this I plug 40W lightbulbs into those receptacles when we travel.  Keeps them happy.

Audio, my friend, is weird and so are we   :beer:

George Thorogood - "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"

Oh. Geez. I have a TWL Obsession with NCF connectors that I bought from Pete last year that was nicely burned in by the time we left for Taiwan. I unplugged the day before we left. It will have just lay there for 3 1/2 months by the time I return. :shock:

How long will it take to get back in shape? [Sounds like physical therapy for me.]
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS