Author Topic: Cable Support Plate  (Read 7882 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Cable Support Plate
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
It looks like something I could make with a hack saw, a piece of pvc, a face plate, and tube of epoxy.  If I wanted to get fancy, I could drill a few holes and use a few toothpicks, a couple of rubber bands, and hold everything in place and together while the glue dries.  Looks like a $10 and 10 minute project.
Yes, sir.  It does.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »
It looks like something I could make with a hack saw, a piece of pvc, a face plate, and tube of epoxy.  If I wanted to get fancy, I could drill a few holes and use a few toothpicks, a couple of rubber bands, and hold everything in place and together while the glue dries.  Looks like a $10 and 10 minute project.

No way, with the price of lumber today those toothpicks would double the cost of the project.  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »
Just for the record, it states on their web site (shown in the original post in this thread) that these plates are manufactured using a 3D Printing technology, so they are not injection molded.

But that said,  the $100 price is no more of a rip off than anything else in this hobby. Hi End audio products are generally not priced based on the cost of production, but rather based on what the manufacturer thinks will be the perceived value to the customer of the improvement they get to their system. Do you really think that the costs of the parts and assembly of a $32k DAC justifies that price? Of course not,  they price it at $32k because they think there are enough audiophiles out there that will think it provides $32k worth of performance. This case is no different. If enough people think that it is worth $100 to keep their power cords from pulling out or away from the plugs, then they will sell a lot of them and be able to maintain that price. If it does not sell well at $100 the company will have top decide if it is worth lowering the price to make more sales or should they just kill the product. That is just simple supply and demand economics. Any rational business will sell their product at the highest price they can get without deminishing total profits.

Plastic for $100 IMHO is a rip Mommy. A 32K DAC is a rip as well. Well unless you can afford it.

charles

You guys are all missing the point. Neither one of those products is inherently a rip off. The cost of the item has  nothing to do with what it sells for in the open market. The only thing driven by the cost is the lowest price that the producer can sell it for without losing money. Beyond that the only thing that determine the final selling price is what the consumers are willing to pay for it. There is only one thing that makes a $32k DAC worth $32k and that is the fact that there are enough people out there that are willing to shell out $32k to own one. The reason why is totally irrelevant and what it cost to make the DAC has no bearing on the price whatsoever.

And I know there are a lot of folks out there that thing spending $32k on a DAC is a ridiculous proposition (and I admit I am one of them), to the solution to that problem is not to bash the product nor the price. If somebody else thinks it is worth the price we should all respect their right to that opinion. If you don't think any component is worth  the asking price, then don't buy one. It's that simple.

As far as the cable support plate not being worth $100 because it is cheap to make or simple to build on your own, that is a perfectly reasonable opinion for any one of us. But what is not reasonable is to project that on to everyone else. If you have a problem with cables not staying securely in the wall outlets and you are in a situation where you don't have the time, tools, or know how to build one yourself  paying $100 to solve a nagging problem might very well sound like a good idea to you. (There are a lot of people out there who have high paying jobs that that require them to work very long hours. People like that usually have more spare money than spare time and many wouldn't think twice about paying  the $100.)

To say that the cable plat, or a high end DAC does not have a cost/benefit ratio that works for you is a legitimate statement, but to say that either product is a rip off, employing that it is not good for anyone is simply not fair to the people who produce them , not=r the section of the audiophile community that chooses to buy them.

To each his own. That is why it's called free enterprise.

And those of us who have been around here long enough can remember the "big rules" of AN. In addition to the ones about no religious or political discussion there was also one that said we should not judge equipment based solely on its price, nor people based on how much they did (or did not) spend on their stereo equipment.

https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2860.0
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2021, 01:52:26 PM »
Just for the record, it states on their web site (shown in the original post in this thread) that these plates are manufactured using a 3D Printing technology, so they are not injection molded.

But that said,  the $100 price is no more of a rip off than anything else in this hobby. Hi End audio products are generally not priced based on the cost of production, but rather based on what the manufacturer thinks will be the perceived value to the customer of the improvement they get to their system. Do you really think that the costs of the parts and assembly of a $32k DAC justifies that price? Of course not,  they price it at $32k because they think there are enough audiophiles out there that will think it provides $32k worth of performance. This case is no different. If enough people think that it is worth $100 to keep their power cords from pulling out or away from the plugs, then they will sell a lot of them and be able to maintain that price. If it does not sell well at $100 the company will have top decide if it is worth lowering the price to make more sales or should they just kill the product. That is just simple supply and demand economics. Any rational business will sell their product at the highest price they can get without deminishing total profits.

Plastic for $100 IMHO is a rip Mommy. A 32K DAC is a rip as well. Well unless you can afford it.

charles

You guys are all missing the point. Neither one of those products is inherently a rip off. The cost of the item has  nothing to do with what it sells for in the open market. The only thing driven by the cost is the lowest price that the producer can sell it for without losing money. Beyond that the only thing that determine the final selling price is what the consumers are willing to pay for it. There is only one thing that makes a $32k DAC worth $32k and that is the fact that there are enough people out there that are willing to shell out $32k to own one. The reason why is totally irrelevant and what it cost to make the DAC has no bearing on the price whatsoever.

And I know there are a lot of folks out there that thing spending $32k on a DAC is a ridiculous proposition (and I admit I am one of them), to the solution to that problem is not to bash the product nor the price. If somebody else thinks it is worth the price we should all respect their right to that opinion. If you don't think any component is worth  the asking price, then don't buy one. It's that simple.

As far as the cable support plate not being worth $100 because it is cheap to make or simple to build on your own, that is a perfectly reasonable opinion for any one of us. But what is not reasonable is to project that on to everyone else. If you have a problem with cables not staying securely in the wall outlets and you are in a situation where you don't have the time, tools, or know how to build one yourself  paying $100 to solve a nagging problem might very well sound like a good idea to you. (There are a lot of people out there who have high paying jobs that that require them to work very long hours. People like that usually have more spare money than spare time and many wouldn't think twice about paying  the $100.)

To say that the cable plat, or a high end DAC does not have a cost/benefit ratio that works for you is a legitimate statement, but to say that either product is a rip off, employing that it is not good for anyone is simply not fair to the people who produce them , not=r the section of the audiophile community that chooses to buy them.

To each his own. That is why it's called free enterprise.

And those of us who have been around here long enough can remember the "big rules" of AN. In addition to the ones about no religious or political discussion there was also one that said we should not judge equipment based solely on its price, nor people based on how much they did (or did not) spend on their stereo equipment.

https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2860.0

Nicely stated 👍
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz