Music Ward > Live Shows

Julia Fischer

(1/2) > >>

richidoo:

I drove from Raleigh to Boone (and back) today to hear my favorite musician. Julia Fischer is the greatest living violin soloist, IMO. She played the Glazunov Violin Concerto to an audience that appreciated her performance, but didn't seem to know who the hell she was before she started playing. Just another violinist. Once a couple minutes went by, I saw faces starting to watch in amazement, and realize they were watching something very special. All were standing and screaming by the end.

The piece started easy and got harder and harder till the end when it sounds like 2 violins and a flute playing, but it is really just one violin. Her control, power, passion, precision, gorgeous tone, and ability to dig deeply into the emotion of the music and pull it out effortlessly had my mouth hanging open in awe for 20 minutes.

This concerto and two others are on her Pentatone recording shown and linked above. The Prokfiev Violin Concerto is even better thn the Glazunov. She played the Katchaturian in Wash DC this past spring, I was bummed I couldn't make it. It was a thrill to see her finally. Her Bach Sonatas CD is a gem too.

If you ever get a chance to see her play, don't miss it. You will never forget her performance. She is German, but tours US regularly.
Rich

lonewolfny42:
Here's a nice interview with Julia Fischer...... :)

Carlman:
Cool interview she sounds like she really has her poop together!
I might have to borrow your cd, Rich. :)

-C

richidoo:
Which one? I have 6, I think, and counting. I really just buy them for the cover pictures.  ;) I have a weakness for tall blond German violin virtuosos.

Her Bach Sonatas will make you cry, many greats have recorded them in the last century. It is thought to be one of the measures of a great violin soloist. Most agree hers is as good as any ever done, and it is in 5 channel SACD and a huge beautiful sounding hall. The Tchaikovsky CD was not as good as the concertos and Bach to my taste, and I love Tchaikovski. I also have 2 of her Mozart small ensemble CDs but I'm ashamed to say I haven't listened to those yet. Not a big Mozart fan, maybe she will change that.

Carl I think you will get as addicted to the Prokofiev as I am. I am inhaling 3 doses a day now. Awesome in every way. I worry about listening to too much Prokofiev, that I might get sick of it someday and I think I would die. I hold a couple discs in reserve. I know, I am nuts. But I like it that way.

Speaking of nuts, I have a funny story to tell. Last night halfway through her performance, a bow hair broke loose. When she got a chance she yanked it and threw it on the floor. After she was done, at intermission, I jumped up on the stage and snagged it for my collection. I have Peter Erskine drum stick tip from Maynard Ferguson concert in 78. I have Jackie McLean alto reed. Now Julia Fischer bow hair. I am the musical litter collector! haha
Rich

Carlman:

--- Quote from: richidoo on July 23, 2007, 06:41:00 PM ---Carl I think you will get as addicted to the Prokofiev as I am. I am inhaling 3 doses a day now. Awesome in every way. I worry about listening to too much Prokofiev, that I might get sick of it someday and I think I would die. I hold a couple discs in reserve. I know, I am nuts. But I like it that way.

Speaking of nuts, I have a funny story to tell. Last night halfway through her performance, a bow hair broke loose. When she got a chance she yanked it and threw it on the floor. After she was done, at intermission, I jumped up on the stage and snagged it for my collection. I have Peter Erskine drum stick tip from Maynard Ferguson concert in 78. I have Jackie McLean alto reed. Now Julia Fischer bow hair. I am the musical litter collector! haha
Rich

--- End quote ---
:rofl: 
Did you run your fingers through her 'bow hair'?  haha... She is a cutey.

I'll take a listen next time I'm around... or bring it with you when you're here... Pick one of your faves for the SC comparison. :)

-C

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version