Author Topic: Wireless transmitter/receiver for home theater surrounds?  (Read 2563 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Wireless transmitter/receiver for home theater surrounds?
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:20:46 AM »
In our new home I expect to hook up a 6 speaker home theater setup. Of course I will have my HT receiver/amp/box at the front of the room near the TV and I will be running speaker wires to the sub, front left , right and center speakers from it.

But I would like to avoid running a long set of speaker cables to the 2 rear speakers. I would vastly prefer to transmit the signal from the receiver to those speakers wirelessly. That means I would need a separate amplifier for them (not a problem, there are any number of small digital amplifiers that would provide sufficient power).

But what can I use for the transmitter from the back of the HT box to the receiver connected to my new digital amp across the room? Will the HT receiver still be able to control the volume for those rear speakers, or will it just send the signal, meaning I will have to control the volume from my new tiny digital amp?

There's got to be a solution for this and I don;t want to spend a fortune buying wireless self-powered speakers or a new HT receiver/amp/box. I would rather use what I have already.

I found this and it seems like it will do the job adequately and for a cheap price too:
https://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pdp/RF-WHTIB/8275528

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:36:54 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Wireless transmitter/receiver for home theater surrounds?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 12:00:43 PM »
RF avoids any latency tat you'd get with any kind of digital/network solution. Seems like a good product. 100ft range should provide enough power to avoid interference and other loss of signal problems. $100 a little steep, but you get WAF boxes!

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Wireless transmitter/receiver for home theater surrounds?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
Looks like it would do the job, but the specs don't say how much output power the unit has. Might be a problem if it is a big mismatch compared to what your amp would put out over wires.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo