Author Topic: FS: McCormack DNA-500 amp  (Read 18587 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
FS: McCormack DNA-500 amp
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:33:11 PM »
With great reluctance, I've decided to sell my McCormack DNA-500 amp.  I've recently downsized, both room and equipment, and no longer need all of what this amp provides.  If you know of the DNA-500, you know what an awesome amp it is!  It has been extremely well reviewed (IAR, 6Moons, Stereophile, etc.) and praised by many happy owners across the audiophile forums. A bit of googling will find an extensive amount of information and accolades.

Check out Chip Stern's 6Moons Review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/mccormack/dna500.html

Peter Moncrief in IAR stated "So the McCormack DNA-500 comes up aces in that one world, the world of solid state technical excellence. When we consider the other important world, the world of natural musicality, it's no contest. Here the DNA-500 simply runs way ahead of any and every other solid state power amp." He then concluded ""For music lovers,... (the DNA-500) has now captured the top honor as the best solid-state amp on the planet".

The amp is in excellent condition with no issues or dings.  It has been in a pet-free, smoke-free environment and performs flawlessly.  Includes the stock 20a power cord and all original packaging.  I will also include an excellent Alan Maher 20a powercord at the asking price. 

More specifications on the DNA-500 from the McCormack website:

STEREO Amplifier with output power rating of 500 watts per channel RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms at less than 1% THD, 900 watts per channel into 4 ohms..
Input Impedance: 10k Ohms
Input Sensitivity: 2.25 volt rms
Hum and Noise: better than 105 dB below rated power
Dimensions: 19"w x 6.4375"h x 20.5"d
Shipping Weight: 81 lbs

List price when new was $7000.  Will sell for $3300.  Will ship within continental US.  Buyer pays shipping and Paypal fees of 3% of total.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: FS: McCormack DNA-500 amp
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:08:28 PM »
All I can say is, if you've got a need for high current and power you can't do much better than this. They don't come up for sale often. Grab this if you even feel remotely like you need an amp of this caliber.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 07:43:20 AM »
Thanks Bob!   I bought this as a cornerstone of my system and had no intention of ever letting it go.  But changing to a smaller room and downsizing (in prep for retirement!) has me reconsidering.

A truly wonderful amp.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
The "Velvet Hammer"  :drool: I wish I had the $$$$ to buy it.

Some questions though out of curiosity as I've never owned an amp as powerful as the DNA-500. I've never owned an amp that requires a 20 amp power cord.

Does the DNA-500 require a dedicated 20 amp line to get the best performance out of it?

If you have a 15 amp circuit but the outlet is a Porter Port one that can accept a 20 amp plug. If you were to use the DNA-500 in this situation would you be harming the amp, your gear or would you just be getting so so sound from the amp since it is running on a 15 amp line and not a 20 amp one?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:41:05 AM »
The DNA-500 has a 20a IEC and comes standard with a power cord with 20a female on one end and a standard 15a male on the other.  It works absolutely fine in a 15a circuit.  The amp does have a protection 'warm-up' cycle so that there is not an initial surge when you first turn it on.   

I have tried numerous "upgraded" powercords - the latest and best being Pete's TWL 7+ with 20a female termination on amp side and standard termination on wall side. 

When I first purchased it, I did not have a dedicated 20a circuit and it all worked fine on a single 15a circuit.  Never popped the breaker no matter how loud I played it.   Later, I did add a 20a dedicated circuit with an upgraded FIM outlet and the sound did improve (or so I believed given the price of adding the circuit and outlet ;-).  Later still, I added an UberBuss which took it up a notch further.

Ultimately, if you like to play your music loud and/or have inefficient speakers, a 20a circuit would likely do a better job of serving up the current.    The DNA-500 excels across the board (velvet hammer is a great description!)  but I suspect it's tight & deep bass, kick-ass dynamics and transient response can be attributed in large part to it's power handling ability.

An interesting point - many feel that that 20a connector makes for a better electrical connection. Whether that's true or not is up for debate, but for that reason, I had Dave build my UberBuss with a 20a iec as well. 

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:59:23 PM »
Thanks for the in depth reply to my questions. Good to know the DNA-500 can run on a 15 amp line. I can see your point about the 20amp connector being more secure. I can't picture it sagging like I've seen with 15 amp connectors. It has happened to me too many times.

Also the "Velvet Hammer" name I saw from an audio review. The DNA-500 has serious power and finesse. I wish I had the money for this one. Best of luck with the sale.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
That is a great amp for a great price. I'm saving for the final platinum upgrade on my DNA 1.0 Good luck with the sale
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »
Bumping price down a bit to $3200 and I'll eat paypal fees.   I'll be traveling for work over the next week and won't be able to ship until end of next week.   If not sold, then I'll put it up on A'gon at a higher price to cover their fees as well.

I will consider reasonable offers thru next Thursday but first offer of $3200 plus shipping gets it.  Preference will definitely go to anyone local that can pick it up since it's heavy and I'd love to avoid shipping.  But I do have original packing materials.

Hey, it's an awesome amp in great shape that doesn't come up used very often.  Thanks for considering!

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 06:35:15 AM »
It is hugely heavy, and the original packing includes a 1/2" piece of plywood both top and bottom to protect things, so that makes it even heavier. The shipping carrier will NOT be happy.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 09:36:34 AM »
too bad it's overkill for me and a bit above my budget. How does this amp compare to Pass Labs?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 09:47:30 AM »
It is hugely heavy, and the original packing includes a 1/2" piece of plywood both top and bottom to protect things, so that makes it even heavier. The shipping carrier will NOT be happy.

Well, the shipping carrier will be fine (cuz they'll get paid well).  It's the person packing and carting it to the shipping carrier that I'm worried about (me ;-)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 06:19:02 AM »
Bumping price down to a firm $3000 + shipping. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 07:58:38 AM »
  I think Bob M should buy it and convert to a mono block as well as his. Can you say 100W/ ch ??? Woweeeeee 1
   Good luck with the sale. So what is replacing it ??

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 08:32:07 AM »
bump!    Going up on Audiogon this weekend.    If you're interested touch base now so we can both avoid the A'gon fees.

Thanks for looking.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
And BobM will need to have LIPA come in an build a electrical substation next to his house and provide a feed for his amp  :rofl:

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata