Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 2924934 times)

lonewolfny42

What are you listening to right now?
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:52:56 PM »

Its time to "Kick Out The Jams !!!".......MC5 8)

ted_b

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:11:26 PM »
Don't mind if I do...thanks Chris!!  :D

Tdangelo

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:46:11 PM »
I heard a cut off this upcoming release and it was fantastic:

AliG

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »

Tdangelo

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:13:20 PM »
Is Dreamgirls pretty good?  I just got it yesterday.  I loved Jennifier Hudson on American Idle - I love that show ;)

AliG

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
Quote from: "Tdangelo"
Is Dreamgirls pretty good?  I just got it yesterday.  I loved Jennifier Hudson on American Idle - I love that show ;)

Oh man.. this Jennifer Hudson is really something...the movies is off the roof..almost everyone in the audience cried when Jennifer sang "And I am Telling You", and the all stood up and gave standing ovation when the scene ended. It's an extroadinary performance..

That movies is supposed to win an oscar for Beyonce.. but unfortunately, Jennifer just made Beyonce look so "deficient"..

Here's Jennifer at her best, the real singing start after 4 mins:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR1546t75VU

And here's Beyonce so-called "best performance"..yuck..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SktVgnzhSAo

launche

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 10:45:43 PM »
I agree this was Jennifer's party but Beyonce was fine.  Her character did not have nearly the depth etc... of Hudson's character.  Hudson has a better voice but Beyonce is a better all around talent.  They needed to market the movie thus the Beyonce hype and when people saw Hudson, you were so taken aback because it was unexpected.

As I posted before, I haven't seen a better performance in the last 12 months, ranks as one of my most memorable and she deserves every award she's nominated for.  She was born to play that role and it came very naturally to her.  Good movie, good time at the theater, my audience also clapped and cheered. It was not a passive experience.
Now I gotta pick up that soundtrack.

Eddie was also very good.

AliG

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 07:36:30 AM »
Quote from: "launche"
but Beyonce is a better all around talent.

If you define "All around talent" = pretty face + bodilicious appeal

Then I don't disagree with you  :mrgreen:

launche

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 07:01:22 PM »
Quote from: "AliG"

Singer, songwriter, producer, dancer, actor, wonderful live performer, clothing designer... and yes beautiful and sexy (they can be mutually exclusive.)  This young lady is not just a pretty face, that would be Jessica Simpson.  I would also say that Beyonce can sing a wider range of material than Jennifer.  In a certain genre, yes Jennifer has a much more impactful voice.  I enjoy them both, it may be like a speaker comparision, Beyonce is a wonderful speaker top to bottom and plays a wide range of music equally good.  Hudson has deeper bass extension, with a midrange to die for.   :)

Now, Jennifer is just beginning her career so we'll see what she has to offer.  Beyonce has been a professional for nearly 10 yrs and proven she's more than a flavor of the month.

See the movie, buy the album
Good stuff.

AliG

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 07:59:59 PM »
I guess we just have to disagree on the "talent" of Ms Knowles, because her voice simply does not appeal to me. There're hundreds more female vocals that're better than Beyonce. Her voice has no emotion for me, no matter how hard she tried.

One thing for sure, Beyonce will not become Beyonce today without her look & her body, that's what makes me oooooze after her for.. :D, but that's all I felt about her, lucky Jay-Z.

Still think that Beyonce is a good song writers? Apparently I'm not the only one who disagree:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,172552,00.html

Quote from: "AliG"

Singer, songwriter, producer, dancer, actor, wonderful live performer, clothing designer... and yes beautiful and sexy (they can be mutually exclusive.)  This young lady is not just a pretty face, that would be Jessica Simpson.  I would also say that Beyonce can sing a wider range of material than Jennifer.  In a certain genre, yes Jennifer has a much more impactful voice.  I enjoy them both, it may be like a speaker comparision, Beyonce is a wonderful speaker top to bottom and plays a wide range of music equally good.  Hudson has deeper bass extension, with a midrange to die for.   :)

Now, Jennifer is just beginning her career so we'll see what she has to offer.  Beyonce has been a professional for nearly 10 yrs and proven she's more than a flavor of the month.

See the movie, buy the album
Good stuff.

launche

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Modern Pop music is producer driven.  With so many hands in the cookie jar, it's obvious there is going to be multiple input.  Everybody's wants co writing credit, it's called royalties.  This should be nothing new.  I say she's a songwriter because I remember watching some old footage with my wife of her and as a teenager and she had a book or two of material.  Of course once you get in the studio they have to craft it into a hit or workable song.  The producer brings his ideas to the table ($$$) and any pop artist is lucky to contribute 50% to the process.  This is no longer a personal endeavor, this is a business and there are millions at stake so things will be crafted, pre written, tweaked and previewed before release.  Just like your HT3's probably aren't 100% Jim Salk, there's a little D. Murphy in there and who knows what other concepts, ideas Salk borrowed or studied to bring the final product to your ears.

I can understand if her voice doesn't move you, that's personal, there's always a better singer.  Go to Hudson's church and you'll find 3 more singers just as good and 5 better.  I know that, that's a given to me, very few can sing better than those with the gospel/soul background IMO.

You have to give people credit for their talents and hard work, not everyone can be Beyonce or Hudson.  They've made it for a reason, all aspects of them considered.  To dismiss either due to their looks is "Entertainment Tonight"

Again, a better case would be Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears.  I think they fit your example better. Beyonce is much more talented than either of them.

What kinda discussion are we having here, Beyonce is living her dreams, has sold 100 million records, done world tours and now making movies.  There has to be talent there, if not then where do I sign up.  I simply have little critic for those lucky people as long as they are happy and not hurting anyone.  I am not a Jessca Simpson fan but she's doing her thing and as long as she doesn't lose too much integrity and plays fair in life, what can I say, I have my own life to worry about.

As The kids say: Stop Hatin'  :P  
You saw the movie and bought the album, Thumbs Up
Sit back and "Listen" to Beyonce and Jennifer, they both have something to offer.

AcidJazz

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »

Global pop.

Ekova, Space lullabies and other Fantasmagore

Freejazz

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2007, 03:27:53 PM »

Such a special album ... just beautiful music and a lovely "wall of sound" on the larger group numbers

Benny Carter - Further Definitions