Group Therapy > NY Audio Rave

Asking Experts AGAIN! Caps!

(1/4) > >>

goldlizsts:
Hi guys,

Last year, I opened up my DIY preamp, built from an AES (Audio Electronic Supply, sub of Cary, no longer around) kit.  I liked the sound (tonality mainly).  But, it lacked transparency.  So, I added a Solen 10 pf cap to the output end.  It improved on transparency, but I didn't like the sound as much.  So, I want to replace the Solen 10 pf now.  Brand?  I heard much about Jupiter.  Is that the best-sounding kind of cap around?  Musicality is what I'm after, of course.  Any advice is very much appreciated.  Your experience should be fine guidance for me.  Hope my prayer gets answered.  This column is rarely visited now, I noted.   :thumb:

Shek

richidoo:
Imo, that preamp doesn't deserve upgrade caps. It is designed for lowest possible price, and the stock cap is sonically opaque for a good reasons. The preamp is musical and coherent, but not very resolving - by design. If you peek under the long dress you might change your mind about her. Focus on her smile and sense of humor. ;)

If you upgrade forget the bypasses and just get main caps that have good highs all by themselves. I like Jantzen Superior Z for good sound and good value, but there are many similar choices.

Read this to pick the right size:
https://www.v-cap.com/coupling-capacitor-calculator.php

If you get DIY fantasy caps like Jupiter just make sure they'll fit in the small AES chassis before you buy them. Some of those boutique caps are huge.

goldlizsts:

--- Quote from: richidoo on April 12, 2017, 07:50:42 PM ---Imo, that preamp doesn't deserve upgrade caps. It is designed for lowest possible price, and the stock cap is sonically opaque for a good reasons. The preamp is musical and coherent, but not very resolving - by design. If you peek under the long dress you might change your mind about her. Focus on her smile and sense of humor. ;)

If you upgrade forget the bypasses and just get main caps that have good highs all by themselves. I like Jantzen Superior Z for good sound and good value, but there are many similar choices.

Read this to pick the right size:
https://www.v-cap.com/coupling-capacitor-calculator.php

If you get DIY fantasy caps like Jupiter just make sure they'll fit in the small AES chassis before you buy them. Some of those boutique caps are huge.

--- End quote ---

Yes sir.  You're right, " The preamp is musical, coherent, but not very resolving".  But I just love the musicality of it.  My personal preference is that it's more to my liking than many I've heard (tonality).  That's why I was addressing the "opaqueness" issue only last time (being lazy and not that fanatical through the years).  I've realized, there's no such thing as "BEST".  Yet we fanatics (I'm really not that fanatic, tho bad enough) keep thinking of upgrading.  You change one thing, and another issue comes around! :duh

Thanks for your suggestion.  I will look into the other cap replacements.  Just want to play with it.

richidoo:
Definitely worth a try. Have fun! Maybe you can buy from seller who offers refund, like Parts Express, then install them with clip leads for "auditioning."

rollo:
  Shek leave the caps alone and try another more revealing cable or foote. Play around and have cheap solder-less fun.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version