Author Topic: A/C and D/C run on the same wire at the same time  (Read 3597 times)

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
A/C and D/C run on the same wire at the same time
« on: January 30, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
 I just spoke with a guy that claims  a company has developed a way  to run A/C and D/C power  on the same wire at the same time.  I have PDF of their brochure  and I will PM or E-mail a copy to anyone interested. Anyone ever heard of this?
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: A/C and D/C run on the same wire at the same time
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
It sounds like one would have +24v DC sitting on the same line as your 120AC. A transformers core is going to want to saturate from the presence of DC on the line and it will need a serious DC blocking filter on its AC input to deal with this.
Scotty

Online HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
Wire is wire.  It carries both DC and AC at the same time anyway.   

For AC-DC power as Scotty said, it will have massive problems with toroidal transformers, but might work with some E-I core styles.  If nothing else it will make the transformers run very hot if a DC voltage is used without a blocking cap. 

Then you need to clean all the AC line noise off the DC power.  More AC filters. 

Offline dBe

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:58:52 PM »
DC on AC is a bigger and bigger issue as time goes by.  A good DC blocking circuit is almost essential these days.  Elevating AC above a DC floor sounds like a recipie for disaster and blown speakers.

Mike, please send me the article.

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
It's not an article but a broacher I can send you a JPC or PDF of it if you want.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:22:47 AM »
   Maybe some day we will have both AC and DC lines in our homes. 24VDC for lighting and small appliances and AC for Appliances, furnaces , AC, etc.
Would save allot of energy. For us and system how about a dedicated DC line with no transformers in our gear. Am I dreaming or is this possible ??

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dBe

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
Mike sent me a copy of the flyer and I went to their site.  I haven't had time to try to wrap my head around this.  I'll try to figure this out.

My first guess is they elevate the AC to ride on top of the DC and then use a high current DC servo splitter to seperate them, but that is a guess...

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »
I just spoke with a guy that claims  a company has developed a way  to run A/C and D/C power  on the same wire at the same time.  I have PDF of their brochure  and I will PM or E-mail a copy to anyone interested. Anyone ever heard of this?

This is nothing new... The technology has existed for some time now where you could get AC power delivered to your home and have all telecommunication (telephone, cable, internet, security, etc.) on the same lines...

The power generation industry has been monitoring AC generators with DC telemetrics for decades...

Tesla probably knew about this...

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline dBe

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 07:05:17 PM »

This is nothing new... The technology has existed for some time now where you could get AC power delivered to your home and have all telecommunication (telephone, cable, internet, security, etc.) on the same lines...

The power generation industry has been monitoring AC generators with DC telemetrics for decades...

Tesla probably knew about this...

My $0.02,
Pete
Hmmmmm.  PNM (our electric utility) has done telemetry and switching commands at 100KHz for years.  That, combined with 2 billion watts of RFI from repeaters, Sandia National Labs, 23 antennas on Sandia crest is part of what drove me to develop the BUSSes.  DC offset components on our local grid are quite low, possibly because they are balanced and our AC rides on top.

Tesla knew more than we give him credit for. I have read everything I could find on and about him.  Comparatively speaking Edison was a plagiarist with an ego the size of Niagra Falls, which is an entirely different discussion.

I'm still curious as to how they are implementing their technology.

'Splain me Pete.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:52:07 PM by Nick B »