Author Topic: ERS Paper for Powercords  (Read 10430 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: ERS Paper for Powercords
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
Rollo, I didn't realize you were talking about designing your own power cord to sell.  I thought you'd stumbled onto something so I added my opinion on other solutions. 

I personally don't wrap my cords with anything.  I just buy them and use them.  I made a couple of PC's in the past and they were only OK.  So now I just stick with cords from a company with a good product, service, and reputation.

-C

Hey Carlman no problem man. This is not personal, well to me anyway. The Furutech kits I will be selling do not have ERS paper. Just some experimenting.  You were correct that I stumbled on to this after reading about the possibilities. Nothing wrong with your choice to stay with good companies. There are many great cords out there. For me the price of entry was always the culprit. Think about it $1200 for a powercord. For me I need Two for the preamp, two for the amps, one for CDP, one for TT and one for sub. Seven cords at $1200 each. $$8400 for powercords. Shoot man, For me a quality cord may not offer all that the mega buck cord does [ maybe ] but its real close. So for me its a cost of $800 to make my own. Leaving me a lot of mulla for BETTER components , music or whatever.
   I will NEVER fault anyone for spending what they want. Its your money. IMO its overkill. Do date I've tried Dreamstate, Virtual Reality, Nordst, ESP, Siltech, Omega Mikro Active, Cardas, Top Gun, Legenberg and Shunyata. All VG but NOT close in value and performance to my homemade babies in MY system.
   My system consisting of Nearfield Acoustic Pipedreams, Consonance Cyber 211s, Loesch & Weisner Preamp, Lector CDP7L, and Linn/Lingo TT/ Benz cart. I believe this system can reveal a Fly farting or as they say on the farm "Its so quiet you can hear the grasshoppers pee on the cotton".
   Not raining on anyones parade, just offering my opinion.

charles
You are raining on parades with the way you state your opinion...
You're inferring that I pay 1200 for cords ... and that money would be better spent on other things that are more important.  It's like saying "I wouldn't be that stupid but you can be!" 
The problem is the assumption and inference.. and then going on and on about how it adds up.. man, I must be a real stooge.. they see me coming a mile away!  :duh

I know it's nothing personal.. just letting you know how this reads to me. 

If you want to sell stuff, please put a tagline with your site link.. Or make it clear whether you're trying to sell or just doing DIY for yourself.  I don't know where you're coming from... and others may not be clear either.

-C

Sorry if you see it that way. I did not infer anything or mean to infer a thing. Those are your words not mine. I think you should reread WHAT I said. I'm sorry again for pointing out my opinion about value and application of such. How many disclaimers do I have to make.  I used my system as an example of the cost FOR ME not YOU. I did it for much less. Does that make me brilliant and you stupid as YOU say . NO NO and NO. Its just what I did. Ges.  I will state AGAIN that my post was refering to ERS paper only as a DIY experiment. Epoxy to fill your IEC and polishing the wires.  What is the problem with that ?

I made it VERY CLEAR here as to my posting. I posted in the Dealers section when talking about my future business venture.  As of this moment I am NOT in business. Maybe in a couple of weeks when the paperwork and product line choices are finalized.  I have a reputation of a" bang for the buck" type of guy. So why can't I say " For me the cost of entry was always the problem". I need 7 cords and for ME that would be a lot of money. Over $7000. I believe I have found an acceptable DIY substitute for $712 for 7 cords [ NO they are NOT Furutech related ].
   Actually used O'heil IECs  [ filled with epoxy ] with a generic copper commercial grade plug [ epoxy filled ]. Wire is a twisted pair [ over 1/2" dia. wool rod ] of 10 Ga NASA spec silver stranded wire in a concentric wind with Teflon dielectric [ bought spool ]. ERS paper at the IEC end [ last 4" ] .
   Again just trying to help with my findings that's all. Chill man.

charles

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 07:22:31 PM by Carlman »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:05 PM »
I didn't say you can't say anything, just posting my opinion as a helpful comment, geez.  Take a chill pill.  :lol:

Thanks for sharing your experiences,  I hope you can read my post and get something helpful out of it.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 06:57:59 AM »
I didn't say you can't say anything, just posting my opinion as a helpful comment, gees.  Take a chill pill.  :lol:

Thanks for sharing your experiences,  I hope you can read my post and get something helpful out of it.

-C

Your welcome. I've been folling around making my own cords for a long long time. Which by chance Imet a wire manf. playing Golf. He mentioned they made wire for military and NASA applications. Cool right. He said they have this 10 GA. wire with Teflon dielectric used for the power wiring in the Space Shuttle control panel. So knowing nothing I thought wow how bad can it be. I bought 3 spools. Less than $400 for 750LF. The manf. got me in touch with a winder. He wound the wire according to the NASA spec. in various lengths.
  Since I've tried applying ferrite beads, alum foil and braided shields, Active shields, no shields, floating shields and now carbon fiber. The carbon stuff is the most affective so far. Not cheap but worth the money IMO.
  Even had my buddy who owns a machine shop to mill some solid copper blades for the plug and the same for the IEC [ O' Heil ]. Tried many generic plugs. Found one that uses the same dielectric as caps, replaced blades and actually sounded the best to me. I tried some Acrolink plugs and was pleased with the results. They make serious plugs, again not cheap but very affective. I settled on the generic custom plug as described. Covered the outside with copper foil [ plug and IEC, then Teflon shrink wrap ] and connected to shield [ floated at both ends ] which has a drain wire to ground. Then made one with ground attached to IEC end instead of floating. Actually hard to say which sounded better. It was close. Maybe the connected shield was a tad quieter. Either way was acceptable.
  Being a novice I had no measuring devices, and not an Engineer all was evaluated by ear using my system. Subjective yes but that's all I could do. Over the years 20 in fact I have learned quite a few tricks from Larry Smith, Frank Lucia, Belden and Con Edison engineers and whomevers brain I could pick at the time. That was a long time ago. Today there are so many well made connectors available than ever before
  Today there are  many well engineered wire assemblies available to choose from. For the DIYer its a bit less complicated to come up with a very good powercord these days. I still fool around with it for my own use. Its fun and rewarding.
  Some of the manufactured cords that have impressed me are Dreamstate, Omegra Mikro active and Virtual Reality. Insanely expensive for me but really good performance. They all sound different which still amazes me.  That synergy thing again. Actually bought yes bought the Omega Mikro active to use as a reference.  The Dreamstate suited my system  but at $2800 the difference for me was not worth the money.  But that's me.
  If one can afford such cords great, would never tell someone not to buy because they are really good performers. Having been around cord manf. for a while and knowing the pricing of materials in bulk its hard for me to spend that money even though the cord may be better. Probably is.
  So in the end for me, instead of spending my money on powercords, I spend it on better components and power supplies. Now we have better materials such as ERS, wire, connectors and shielding to choose from. In today's economy every little bit helps. 
  Now back to my pasta. HMMMM wonder if this ziti would calm some resonance. The Penne cord oh my! Brilliant !

Chillin,

charles

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.