Author Topic: Dealers or Direct . Any advantages of one over the other?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Dealers or Direct . Any advantages of one over the other?
« on: August 17, 2007, 07:09:25 AM »
With so many direct sales companies coming about do we have an any advantage in buying from a dealer? Saving 40% is a nice thing. Ultimately the sale is determined when you audition in your own system. So what is the advantage of listening in a showroom?

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Dealers or Direct . Any advantages of one over the other?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 08:57:58 AM »
Being ABLE to audition... 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
I think it depends on whether the buyer needs or wants the 'value-added' that a dealer can bring to the table. Custom install? Trade-in allowance(s)? A/B comparison(s)? Service after the sale? Stuff like that..

I'm an old guy who actually misses having local dealers. Here in TN, there are only (3) high-end dealers left in the whole state. Memphis; Nashville; and Knoxville. And the one in Knoxville is mostly home theatre- as is the one in Nashville. (remember when Nashville was thought of as Music City?)

For traditional 2-channel stereo, I think we will continue to see the traditional brick and mortar stores disappear. Same with 'record' stores.

Sad times, IMO.

WEEZ

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »
It's a good question and it just depends on the value proposition to me.  The value of hearing lots of different gear, finding out what's new, getting a deal, whatever is great with a personal experience at a dealer... and that's different than dealing with a manufacturer with only a few products.  Are you building a system or just trying to hear a pair of speakers?  So, that'll determine where to go... but if there was an online dealer with same products as a local guy, I generally go with the local guy.  Either way, I try to get a good deal. ;)

If an online-only manufacturer is willing to get his product in my hands with no risk or strings attached, then I'm all about the online deal.  However, if the manufacturer is weird about putting product in my hands and/or doesn't want to 'let' me use his super-classy-wonderful product without a purchase commitment, then I probably won't ever try it.

Dealers invest a lot of money and time into making a showroom for you to visit.  Well, actually so do some manufactuers, such as Bose.  Without a dealer network, a store, etc... then, I expect the product to be very inexpensive and/or the manufacturer to bend over backwards to get it in my hands since he has no real costs other than building it.  Unfortunately, that's not the case sometimes.

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:07:01 AM »
I think that most of the Giant Killer Gear is going to be found on the Internet. I personaly Like Balanced Audio Technology,Audio Research Gear etc... but if did not buy the few pieces of well known Brand name Gear that i do own for what i consider dirt cheap used in excellent condition from Agon etc... i could not in good conscience spend the kind of money that the big boys are asking for thier stuff. some of the smaller lesser known internet direct sale Audio manufacturers can compete or outdo the big companies as far as build and sound quality so in most cases i feel that the Smart money is on them.thanks....WCW III
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 12:18:59 PM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »
Being ABLE to audition... 

Bryan

Bryan I agree with you but if I had to play Devils advocate for a minute it would be to point out that what sounds good during your in store audition may sound like crap when you get it home. Auditions for me at least are a hit and miss proposition. I remember running off to a local dealer several years and listening to a set of Paradigm Studio 100 V2's. Anyway, they sounded amazing in the store and as a result I bought them. To make a long story short, they lasted less than a week in my house as they were not the same speaker in my room running off my equipment.

Now if you meant audition as in the dealer letting you take something home, than ignore my post as I agree with you 100%!  :D

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
With so many direct sales companies coming about do we have an any advantage in buying from a dealer? Saving 40% is a nice thing. Ultimately the sale is determined when you audition in your own system. So what is the advantage of listening in a showroom?

rollo

I believe that internet communications have greatly diminished the value one can obtain from a brick and mortar store.  A few years ago there was no AN or AC so you had to go to read magazines and go to the high-end dealerships to audition the new equipment.  Today, you might still go to a high end dealership but you go there already knowing about the equipment.  Most people are or should already be armed with as much information as most salespeople know about the equipment. 

Although I am a newbie to this hobby I doubt there is much value to hearing equipment at a dealership.  You will really not know how it will sound until you connect it to your system, in your room.  Lets face it, most of today are looking for the most value for our money.  If an on-line dealer has a good trial policy and a good reputation it seems to me the risks are minimal.

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 05:56:43 AM »
A dealer that you've taken the time to get to know and trust has always been of value in this hobby to help make informed buying decisions.  But, I have to agree with Ken that the Internet and boards like AN, AC, A'gon and AA, the level of communication on the Web has offered new channels for that information, experience and trust.   And with many direct sales including 30 day eval periods, it doesn't get much easier.

I still like to visit the storefronts, but speaking personally, most of my buying over the last, hmm, 7-8 years(?) has been either used via A'gon or contacts I've made on these boards or direct via discovery from these boards.