Author Topic: New Vintage System Help  (Read 7306 times)

biglou

Re: New Vintage System Help
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:33 PM »
have you heard the Klipsch Forte IIs? also a very full sound at low volumes. they are my favorite rock speakers and they are easy to drive (as are the Cornwalls).

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 12:36:55 PM »
I've heard the Heresy's and the Cornerhorns and/or Cornwalls a long time ago... In fact, the ones that fit into corners were the first 'hifi' speakers I'd ever heard.  In that first experience I realized that 2 speakers could sound like a giant array of sound with no way to discern where they were in the room.  Very cool experiment, actually... My friend at the time had me close my eyes and spun me around a few times... then he asked me to point where I 'thought' the sound was coming from.... I was off by 90 degrees.  haha.  I'd like to think I have a better ear now, 20 years later... but who knows?

I bought 2 different sets of KG series Klipsch speakers in the early 90's during my final years of college and partying... and basically burned out on the whole Klipsch house-sound.  It's a bit too harsh with those horns for me anymore.  :(

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

biglou

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »
the fortes are very smooth. much less bright than the La Scalas i used to have. but they are great party speakers arent they!

jrebman

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 04:36:55 PM »
I was always under the assumption that the La Scalas were primarily made for PA use because of the 6 dB midrange boost -- but then again, that is probably just what you want for a party :D.

Like Carl, the few of more modern Klipschs I've heard just didn't float my boat, but they may have had the wrong amplification.

A friend had Cornwalls back in the early 80s and drove them with a Yamaha CR-820 recievr and after the initial wow factor he soon realized that it was painful to listen to and chucked them for a pair of DCM TimeWindows -- much better match.

-- Jim

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 06:10:47 AM »
A friend had Cornwalls back in the early 80s and drove them with a Yamaha CR-820 recievr and after the initial wow factor he soon realized that it was painful to listen to and chucked them for a pair of DCM TimeWindows -- much better match.
-- Jim

Ironically, that's very similar to my path after the KG series... except I think I had Timeframes, (TF600?) not sure if there is a difference.  I worked at Circuit City at the time and we got this huge discount... couldn't pass it up.  I used an HK 6520? integrated made in Japan to power them.

For the KG's I used an Onkyo integrated... talk about harsh... ouch.. My friend Allen told me I went from 'buckets of slop' to 'cutlets of veal' on that particular transition...  :lol:

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.