Author Topic: Audio Room V2.0  (Read 8026 times)

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: Audio Room V2.0
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2023, 12:31:14 PM »
Attend to the corners, Rich.  90 degree intersections SUCK - out mids.  They are the single worst problem in every small room.  Pay particular attention to the four upper tri-corners where walls and ceiling intersect.  Comb filtering, honky nightmares!

Hi P.I. I'm in zip 11520. With virtually zero notice you can stop by my place. After (actually during) listening, I think you'll change your mind about 90 degree intersections suck out the mids in the corner. Bring your measurements gear too!  :rofl: 8) :rofl: 8) :thumb:
My mind has nothing do do with the reality and immutability of physics.

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/Physics-Interactives/Waves-and-Sound/Wave-Addition/Wave-Addition-Interactive

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein.

That is especially true where audio ** listening/presentation ** is concerned. C'mon by. Bring your drool cup. Then write some more...  8)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:33:14 PM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2023, 02:32:29 PM »
.....  The Sonitus USA system has corner traps in all the upper corners and bass trapping for the lower corners.....

What's the difference between "traps" and "bass trapping"?  :duh

Sorry, Rich. I started my drinking a bit early today.  :shock:

The corner traps are 3 sides pyramids and the bass traps are elongated triangles.  Trapping just means you installed it.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023, 02:40:45 PM »
.....  The Sonitus USA system has corner traps in all the upper corners and bass trapping for the lower corners.....

The corner traps are 3 sides pyramids and the bass traps are elongated triangles.  Trapping just means you installed it.

Oh! Hmmm 🤔

Can you please send me the details of the 3 side piramid traps?

If they are cloth, I've witnessed them in operation and am interested in purchasing 2. Thanks
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
....  Trapping just means you installed it.

Sorry, but I disagree.  8)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2023, 04:00:22 PM »

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein.

That is especially true where audio ** listening/presentation ** is concerned. C'mon by. Bring your drool cup. Then write some more...  8)
I'll pass, thanks.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »

I'll pass, thanks.

You're welcome 😁

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2023, 11:49:09 PM »
LOVE the chair Rich, thanks for providing the pictures. I've had my Ekornes for 25 years now and it's holding up as well as my 72 year old self (probably better). :lol: I also keep the headrest low so I can hear my 3 rear speakers. It's a must as is my comfortable custom made Ekorne chair that I'll never part with.

That drooling cup comment reminds me of myself in bed with a "drooling cup" for a pillow every morning. I constantly need to change the pillow case so reading that comment made me chuckle lots. :drool:  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2023, 04:53:06 AM »
Here is the link to the Sonitus USA acoustics Ultra package materials that I have heard in a treated room that probably was the best sounding music replay installation of all time.  You may disagree with the theory, but the proof is in the pudding! (But, you can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!) :)

This is for a listening room or home theater.  They have another package for recording studios.

https://www.sonitususa.com/product/home-cinema-acoustic-systems

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2023, 04:58:51 AM »
LOVE the chair Rich, thanks for providing the pictures. I've had my Ekornes for 25 years now and it's holding up as well as my 72 year old self (probably better). :lol: I also keep the headrest low so I can hear my 3 rear speakers. It's a must as is my comfortable custom made Ekorne chair that I'll never part with.

That drooling cup comment reminds me of myself in bed with a "drooling cup" for a pillow every morning. I constantly need to change the pillow case so reading that comment made me chuckle lots. :drool:  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Robin,
I agree, the Ekornes Stressless Chair is my favorite as well.  I tried my friends chair like the one in the picture, but I like mine better.
Rich

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2023, 07:43:00 PM »

OK.

Here is a commercial product that works well:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriCornerBlk--primacoustic-cumulus-tri-corner-bass-trap-black-2-pack

Cheers,
Robin

Get some double-strength cardboard.  Cut the largest equilateral triangles you can fit into the upper corners of your room.  Cover them with an attractive fabric.  Tack them up in the corners of the room with as much polyester batting or Acousta-Stuf (better) in the cavity behind the triangle that will fit.  Result?  Better performance for 1/10 the expense.

Of course this means actually doing the work!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 11:59:55 AM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2023, 05:30:41 AM »
Dave,
Once I get some measurements done in the room, I have a 3D model in CARACAD 2.2 if it still works.  It is a raytracing acoustics model that has done well in the past for my room setup.  You have to create all the room materials, so it takes awhile to setup.

I have a problem installing stuff.  The middle ear is not great with heights or looking up.  Since the ceiling is 10ft high, probably not a good thing for me to try.

To get to this point has pretty much drained the audio budget for a long while.  I still have the diffusion foam panels Igor made for me, so will start there.  They survived the water problem and also have more in storage. 

I do have some RPG foam panels that were not in the room, so those can be first reflection point absorption.  Your corner trap design is something I can do, so that will be something to try if a friend can help with install. Or get the ones you recommend. 

Until then, I have an echo chamber to play with! :)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2023, 12:13:03 PM »
Dave,
Once I get some measurements done in the room, I have a 3D model in CARACAD 2.2 if it still works.  It is a raytracing acoustics model that has done well in the past for my room setup.  You have to create all the room materials, so it takes awhile to setup.

I have a problem installing stuff.  The middle ear is not great with heights or looking up.  Since the ceiling is 10ft high, probably not a good thing for me to try.

To get to this point has pretty much drained the audio budget for a long while.  I still have the diffusion foam panels Igor made for me, so will start there.  They survived the water problem and also have more in storage. 

I do have some RPG foam panels that were not in the room, so those can be first reflection point absorption.  Your corner trap design is something I can do, so that will be something to try if a friend can help with install. Or get the ones you recommend. 

Until then, I have an echo chamber to play with! :)
The version of CARACAD that I have is a 16-bit application that I can't get to work using any emulator.  Bummer it worked pretty well.

Treble is one of the best acoustics software packages available. One needs to be at least able to work with SketchUp in order to create the models.  There is a 30-day free trial period:

https://www.treble.tech/acoustics-suite

So, what's the RT60? 60..... 60.... 60..................

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2023, 05:00:48 AM »
Dave,
This time I am talking to Bay Acoustics to do room measurements and a 3D model with auralization of my room with proposed treatments.   He has much better tools than I do for the measurements and modeling.  I am not good at all with 3D CAD even with taking mechanical drawing in the late '70s.

Listening to voice in the room the RT60 is probably 2-3 seconds.  It is an echo chamber! 

Will see if I can afford the acoustician and what he proposes.  If not, then back to REW.

Rich

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2023, 10:45:51 AM »

Dave,
This time I am talking to Bay Acoustics to do room measurements and a 3D model with auralization of my room with proposed treatments.   He has much better tools than I do for the measurements and modeling.  I am not good at all with 3D CAD even with taking mechanical drawing in the late '70s.

Listening to voice in the room the RT60 is probably 2-3 seconds.  It is an echo chamber! 

Will see if I can afford the acoustician and what he proposes.  If not, then back to REW.

Rich

:thumb:

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2023, 01:35:46 PM »
Too much thinking, not enough listening :thumb:

8)