Author Topic: Something to sing about  (Read 1435 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Something to sing about
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
A Marine vet and coal miner from WV named Jimmy Rose sang on America's Got Talent last night. He wrote a song about issues he cares deeply about. His song was simple but moving and sincere. The audience loved it, although maybe not any more than a slick rapping krumper. That he sang on this pop show about family, God and coal was novel, and his lyrics hoping it will all be there in the future was powerful, and timely.

I couldn't help but to think that he is one of the first of a wave of new musical artists who sings his own songs from the heart about issues of the day, just like in the mid 60s. That music fueled the cultural revolution of that time.

Those famous folk artists built the modern music industry, and the hifi business grew out of that to fill the demand for emotional fulfillment from music at home. This is what ails the hifi business, the masses have no music that they feel is worthy of fine gear. iPod is just fine for Kesha.

The country has huge problems now, as it did in the 60s. People are very concerned about their future and the risks facing them. Pop music exalts meaninglessness, and I think people are hungry for more. Even the pop movies are failing. Could it be that we are on the verge of an artistic revolution as we had then?

He will perform again in the next round in Las Vegas. It will be interesting to see his career evolve as the music industry tries to use him up, or avoid him like Tebow. Will other young singers see his success and be emboldened to sing honestly about the realities of today instead of the well worn self-indulgent  crap of the last 30 years? The hunger is there, who will fill it? and will the media promote it?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Something to sing about
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:20:21 AM »
Boils down to whether it's profitable. It'd be nice to see this trend develop. We will see!
I really enjoy listening to music.