Author Topic: Your Spouse/Significant Other, Etc., Etc.  (Read 2575 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Your Spouse/Significant Other, Etc., Etc.
« on: June 22, 2019, 09:34:52 AM »
I am curious- if you live with a non-audiophile, do they ever just use the system to listen to music if you don’t initiate the startup, turn-on, etc.
I find it strange that there is a complete lack of interest on my wife’s part in listening to music at home. For example, the other day I left the house, a cd was playing, and when I returned, the cd was still spinning, yet the volume was turned all the way down. This is the usual scenario, regardless of genre, volume, etc.
The stereo is in the living room, and is as simple as it gets. Yet I can count on one hand the number of times I have come home and there is music playing. This is over the course of 25 years. I can also say unequivocally that I have never told her to be careful, or otherwise intimidate her regarding said system.
Yet as soon as she gets in her car, XM 33 New Wave is turned on, and the same 20 songs get listened to over and over and over. BTW, we have one whole cd case of this very music, which I separated out to make it easier at home to find the music she prefers. Still nothing.
At this point I’m not looking for ways to entice her usage of the stereo, but am curious whether others here have this phenomenon in their home.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Your Spouse/Significant Other, Etc., Etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 11:06:01 AM »
  You are not alone my friend. My wife never has sat with me to listen. Have room in basement, two chairs one is empty. Only good thing NEVER stopped me from buying one thing. My wife watches movies.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 11:54:03 AM »
Perhaps I am fortunate... my wife loves music.   But unllike me, there isn't an ounce of audiophile in her.   She says she hears the difference but really just doesn't care.  Fortunately, we share interest in most of the same music so we rarely get in each other's way.   Sometimes she does like to sit and just listen although I do get a huge eyeroll if I offer her the sweet spot.  She could care less.  But most of the time she prefers music playing in the background while she's doing something else.

Still, music is an integral part of our lives and I can't imagine not having that.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »
My wife listens to the radio in the car, but never turns on my system.  I bought here a Sony mini cd/amp/radio that she would occasionally put in a cd...
But, after my daughter bought us an Alexa unit, it's playing nearly every day.  I have to admit, when in the kitchen cooking, it's pretty darn easy to say "Alexa, play Rossini overtures". 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
I am curious- if you live with a non-audiophile, do they ever just use the system to listen to music if you don’t initiate the startup, turn-on, etc.
I find it strange that there is a complete lack of interest on my wife’s part in listening to music at home. For example, the other day I left the house, a cd was playing, and when I returned, the cd was still spinning, yet the volume was turned all the way down. This is the usual scenario, regardless of genre, volume, etc.
The stereo is in the living room, and is as simple as it gets. Yet I can count on one hand the number of times I have come home and there is music playing. This is over the course of 25 years. I can also say unequivocally that I have never told her to be careful, or otherwise intimidate her regarding said system.
Yet as soon as she gets in her car, XM 33 New Wave is turned on, and the same 20 songs get listened to over and over and over. BTW, we have one whole cd case of this very music, which I separated out to make it easier at home to find the music she prefers. Still nothing.
At this point I’m not looking for ways to entice her usage of the stereo, but am curious whether others here have this phenomenon in their home.

My wife never, ever used the music system. She found it confusing and longed for the days of CD players.. 
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 12:08:35 PM »
My wife is all about listening to music.  Just another blessing from Gayle  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »
I am right in line with a lot of you guys.

My wife, being a ballet teacher and a lifelong dancer, loves music and we have something playing most of the time. She will even sit with me from time to time and just spend a n hour or so listening to the main system. However..... as much as she enjoys listening to the big rig, in the six years we have been together in this house  she has never laid a finger on it. Part of it is that after hearing what this stuff costs she is afraid that she will make some kind of mistake and break something, and secondly (and probably more importantly,) it is just a whole lot easier to ask Alexa to play whatever she wants to hear.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

mauidan

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »
Be happy that you have a wife that loves you.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
 :thumb:

Yep.  I give thanks everyday, Dan...  I am truly blessed.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
Be happy that you have a wife that loves you.

Very true, and I was in no way trying to complain. It is great to have a wife who shares my love of music, even if not my love of the equipment that brings it into my home.

I was simply making the point that my wife, not unlike most non-audiophiles is easily intimidated by the complexity of the systems that we put together and is happy and willing to put up with the lower sound quality from our Echoes in exchange for the easy and simplicity  of just being able to say "Alexa play XYZ".
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Guy 13

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Audio should be simple !
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 06:08:56 AM »
Hi all.
My Vietnamese wife, never, never touch my sound system !
Why, because she says she don't want to break it
and most of her music is Vietnamese music that she listen on TV an her laptop with ear bud
and sometimes on her Sony boombox (CD and Casettes).
In addition, my sound ssystem is on the floor upstairs, so she don't have access to her coffee her noodle soup, etc...
That's o.k. like that, I like it like that.
I can play my system as loud as I want, because the house is built with reinforced thick concrete.
But all that might change when we go to my home country next year and live in small appartment...
Why she want to go to Montreal, Canada. It's cold overthere, it's expensive overthere....
Well that life.
By the way, my wife never said anything about all the audio stuff I bought and even when I put some of it in our or her living room.
A picture of the lst system I put up in my personal living room.

Guy 13

Sorry about the poor quality of pictures, I took a picture of the screen of my laptop,
because it's the only way I could downsize the files.
Grace Digital Mondo RIT
Cambridge Mini sub 2.1
Schiit Fulla 2 DAC
Schiit SYS PCC
Sony Passive Bookshelf speakers
Lot more stuff on storage
prior to moving back to Canada.