Author Topic: HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover  (Read 47160 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-3 Music Server and dspMusik digital crossover
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2016, 07:40:24 AM »
For folks wondering about the dspMusik HiRez DAC sound quality, if you ever heard the Dodd USB DAC that Gary built at RMAF or other place, this is a very similar design.  I helped Gary with the digital part of the design and he did the analog section.   

Danville Signal had the same DAC ideas and implemented something very close in the dspMusik for all 8 output channels.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »
How do those planars sound? Accurate tone? Any plasticky sound? FPS0212 right? 

Are you importing them? How much are they?
Thanks

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
Rich,
I have only heard a single driver in a desktop PC style system with a woofer added. They sound good and no metallic sound like a ribbon. 

As far as I can tell, I am the first to try them in a line array application, so will see what happens.

Here is the listing at Parts-Express.

http://www.parts-express.com/fps-0212m7r1-oem-1-9-16-x-6-1-4-flat-panel-mcma-planar-speaker-6-ohm-15w--292-364

Offline richidoo

« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks, that's interesting. Are you wiring them together for one amp, or individual amps?

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2016, 07:08:48 PM »
Each driver has it's own amp.  Already have 20 moded ChipAmps built and tested.

The dspMusik will be acting as a beamformer across the line array of the FPS drivers.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2016, 10:05:14 AM »
Just received a Raspberry Pi3 Rev B and just downloaded Windows 10 IoT for the unit.   Now to get the OS installed and see what it can do.  

Still working on the install jig for the FPS planars.  The rest of the order should be here soon.

Also checking out another ChipAmp design to see if it has any improved sound quality over the existing unit.  It is also moded for balance input connection.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:09:04 AM by HAL »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Have you tried Modulus-86 from neurochrome? Not cheap, but wicked awesome!

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:09 PM »
This one is a LM3886TF based amp board from XY with mods.  Will see how it works as compared to the originals.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
Just received a Raspberry Pi3 Rev B and just downloaded Windows 10 IoT for the unit.   Now to get the OS installed and see what it can do.  

I'd be curious about how that works out for you. Start a new thread about it if want? 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
Rich,
Will do.  Have the MicroSD installed with Windows 10 IoT.  Just need to get a power supply with microUSB connector running. 

Stopped by KLH007's today and got his MS-3 with Foobar2000 running with a remote control laptop in his system.  He now has access to all his music files online. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2016, 05:06:50 AM »
Have you tried Modulus-86 from neurochrome? Not cheap, but wicked awesome!

Rich,

The line array will need 10 amp channels per speaker.  The latest Modulus amps are large in comparison, so harder to put into a case.  Also since I am using a balanced input, they would also have to be moded.  The amp modules I have build are balanced input, DC coupled input and output and have no Zobel or Thiel networks for stability.  This is possible since the planars are nearly resistive loads and very little capacitive loading.  They sound really good with the BG drivers.  They also have very little turn-on or turn-off transients that some ChipAmps have.  No real need for relay output transient protection.

One thing I am thinking of trying is adding a regulated power supply.  I did that with the LM1875 versions I built and really improved the noise floor of the Chinese built amps I used.  Before they had a pretty high level of hum with their single ended inputs.  After the regulators, were totally quiet. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
Gluing the stringers on the open baffles has begun. Only doing the first set as a test, then after they set, test driver depth and do a lot more gluing! The FPS drivers work well as their own jig to set the stringers for drive spacing.

The dspMusik digital crossover and moded gainclone amps are ready to wire to the drivers and start measurements and listening.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2016, 12:34:41 PM »
The glue for baffle #1 stringers is drying. After about 30 minutes will start baffle #2 stringers glue work.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks for filling in the details

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »
Something else to check out for audio purposes is the Raspberry Pi3 running Windows 10 IoT.  Have the microSD card loaded with the latest OS version ready to try out.