Author Topic: G2G @ Rich's - 8/30  (Read 30296 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: G2G @ Rich's - 8/30
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 05:09:36 PM »
My TT is Technics SL-Q2 with Shure M97xe and Bellari tube pre. It is good enough for my 200 old records that I abused as a kid. It is ready to go if anyone wants to bring records. It sounds OK, but don't expect goosebumps - and tippy toe! haha

I like the idea of a second room. I thought of it before, but all my rooms are all just one big room, with no separating doors. With the main system playing loudly, the whole house hears it. You're right though, Carl, it is nice to setup a system and then actually listen to it for a little while before swapping again, especially something major like an amp or integrated. On the other hand, sometimes change is better to come quickly. Enough beer and nobody will care anyway. FI

I agree we should meet more often. A new person called me a couple weeks ago. He was referred by a friend who knows that I am an audio social butterfly figured I must know if there is an active audio society in triangle. He just moved down from NJ where there was an active group which met every month.  I said "well it just so happens we do.... "  Then there's Den learning about us thru AN. Point being  I think there is interest out there for more than what we are currently doing, maybe with some promotion we can attract other established audiophiles who would consider hosting and participating. As much as I hate the idea of more work, it may be time to expand and let the love flow forth!  We can talk about it at the meet.

bacobits

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 07:00:58 PM »
Of course I wouldn't mind hosting here.
BUT, my dedicated room is 11' X12' (a 'la bedroom) so it wouldn't be able to seat more than 3, if that, at a time.
That presents a problem, but we can do anyway.

I agree, to do any justice to the equipment being auditioned no more than 4-5 pieces should do it.
Too many amps and you will never get to them all. Too much music and we will never get to it all is my experience.

You have an interesting line up. The R.E. Designs LNPA-150 are from MA and I have never heard them.
They were Martin DeWolf's "big rig" standard for a long time. I sub to Bound for Sound and that is how I read about the EE Mini Max Phono I have. Marty does a pretty good job and better than the bigger publications which have lost most of my respect.

Looking forward to meeting  "Ya all"!

Den

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »
Hi Den,

Martin is doing a review of our new M156 monoblocks, one of his writers Dr. Rich Weiner heard them last year after the RMAF for about a month and finally wrote the review and convinced Martin he should audition them for a second opinion, Martin HATES tube amps but from an email just received a couple a days ago I believe these monoblocks are changing his mind :D  The review should be in next month's edition.

To many components just taking brief auditions at a get together really is silly, whats the point? to many variables, nothing warms up, be it SS or tubes.

ooh ooh, lets put in a new piece of equipment every half hour :roll:

Just my opinion, but since I'm not making the trek out there I should be moot.
Rich, I'm looking for the schematic, it is in a folder somewhere.
 Later,
 Bill

Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 02:45:25 AM »
I would suggest having some of the meets focus on one component in the train. Such as speakers, or amps.  My preference would not to be shootouts to see which is "best", as those would involve frequent switchouts and become more work than pleasure.

If you meet more frequently, it would relieve the pressure of so many components to work into the mix.

Chris

Offline richidoo

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 05:25:19 AM »
Thanks for the great ideas guys! We are always very low key here, so there's no pressure or worry about getting to it all. Basically it's just tough shit if we don't get to it or if everyone wants to keep listening to one thing all night. Only one occasion did my anxiety about people's feelings cause too much swapping. Now I let the guys run it and everyone is happy. I just cook. :)  But on the other hand I don't want to see people dismantle their system and carry heavy stuff over if there is already too much. I think it's just about right. We are starting 2 hours earlier so should be plenty of time to listen and swap as we desire.

Since we have the HCat meet coming up next we will compare the amps during that meet. Tim has been itchin to bring the Plinius and I've been itchin to hear it too, so that may still come over this time.  So that makes two new amps and the rest are new sources. We can handle that. Steve is bringing his Ref 1 preamp not for comparison, but for the remote, input flexibility and great transparency. It makes everything sound good.

As time goes by we'll have more houses available. Meantime we'll just do as many as we can over here. My wife and I figured that the kids don't have to be banished during the meets. They can be here doing their own thing quietly. My wife doesn't get many weekends off so that's mainly why we could only meet every 3-4 months.
Rich

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:52 AM »
Sounds like you're gonna have a great time Rich.  Make sure to post some pics of the event and the gear.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 07:11:53 AM »
Thanks Bry, wish you could be here too. Someday we will coax you into coming...

I am working on hanging some acoustic treatments for the G2G. I put up the first one last night, sounds good!  But it probably won't look so good - would you believe that burlap sold at Joann Fabric is only 45" across, not 54" like upholstery fabric. My wife said that's the width they use for clothes fabric.  I said who's gonna wear clothes made out of olive green burlap? Then we figured it out - it is almost scarecrow season.   :roll: 

Will people please bring their super digital coaxial cables for all these DACs that are coming? There was a yellow Analysis Plus digital coax floating around, did mdconnelly end up with that beauty? I PM'ed him. We want to be able to feed CDs to the TP in addition to running SqueezeCenter 7.2. Also feed the Atmann and Benchmark with good cables to give them half a chance. I do have consumer digital cables as backup.

Also I can share some USB hard drives if anyone wants to bring music on HD.

Steve can you bring the AR Ref 1 preamp so we have abundant inputs (bal/se) and balanced output for the Snappers with SE for the LNPA. Please also bring the Raysonic CDP so the modwright doesn't get "lonely at the top."  I only have balanced mic cables (pro audio) so maybe bring along a fistful of your new JPS balanced ICs? Maybe Shane can bring some single ended SC3s?  Thanks!

RichardS can't attend, but has donated some primo cables for us to have on hand / listen.
Gabriel Gold Revelations, Piega Opus-1. And maybe even http://www.stereophile.com/cables/805harm/  :shock:    Thanks Richard!

Rich

miklorsmith

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 08:14:02 AM »
Holy shamolies!  Somebody should add up the Suggested Retail value of all the stuff that's going to be there.  Don't release the number until after the event of course, as unscrupulous types might be monitoring these channels.

I'm getting drooley  :drool: thinking about all that great stuff.  It's gonna be hard to hear it all tho.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 10:24:51 AM »
...There was a yellow Analysis Plus digital coax floating around, did mdconnelly end up with that beauty? I PM'ed him.

Nope, not me.  I thought it was Carl's.   I'm using Groover digital ICs.   Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to make it to the G2G - prior family obligations.    I'll catch the next one.    Have fun!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
We have a lot of serious audiophiles in our area. Everybody keeps trying and learning, so the toys are always churning. I can't express how much the local gang has increased my enjoyment of the hobby.

Offline stereofool

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »

Steve can you bring the AR Ref 1 preamp so we have abundant inputs (bal/se) and balanced output for the Snappers with SE for the LNPA. Please also bring the Raysonic CDP so the modwright doesn't get "lonely at the top."  I only have balanced mic cables (pro audio) so maybe bring along a fistful of your new JPS balanced ICs? Maybe Shane can bring some single ended SC3s?  Thanks!

Rich

SURE!!!

I will pack up the REF1 and the Raysonic...as well as plenty of cables...my USB HD 'finally' with some music on it  :duh...and some cd's as well.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline stereofool

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »
We have a lot of serious audiophiles in our area. Everybody keeps trying and learning, so the toys are always churning. I can't express how much the local gang has increased my enjoyment of the hobby.

Rich,

Your willingness to host so many events...has been above and beyond the call  :clap: :beer: !!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Bigfish8

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »

Rich,

Your willingness to host so many events...has been above and beyond the call  :clap: :beer: !!!

Rich:

I agree with Stereofool, if it were not for you there would be no Triangle Audio Society.  Thank you for your commitment to make this a success.   :beer: :-({|=

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 05:52:20 PM »
 :oops:  Thanks, it's fun!

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
Couldn't agree more, a more gracious host you will never find.

I'm sure Carl ,once the mancave is completed will give Rich competition but until that day comes the Grammy goes to Mr G2G himself. Rich your the best!
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker