Author Topic: G2G in March?  (Read 23328 times)

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
G2G in March?
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:19 AM »
Hi guys,
Been a long time. Coming out of A/V hibernation and thinking it'd be nice to see what the rest of the sleuth has been up to. I'd be happy to host a G2G at my place in the next month or two. Even though I've not done a lot with my system  in the last few years - a few up,down, and side-grades - I do have a great gathering place now. I'll hasve to check the calendar fo teh manageing partner, but is there some consensus on bood/bad weekends? Also, has there been any change in whether Saturday or Sunday is better or worse in general?

Also, since my next project is HT-related, I've also proposed hosting a meet for the local AVS forum junkies.   Is there any interest in our group here about combining with that? Not sure what the HT interest level is nowadays among the rest of you. Space/accommodation isn't an issue, but not sure what the related activity/tehme is yet for either of these, so some do/don't lend themselves to a bigger crowd. or we can look at this just as more of a social event, and let whatever A/V works happen. Let me know what you think.

I've created a Doodle poll to check on general availiability . Link is here:
http://www.doodle.com/pb685xdmk6yqmhce

i'd like to get his nailed down in the next couple days, tehn post some real dates for consideration.

Looking forward to reconnecting!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: G2G in March?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:39 AM »
Hi Tim! Glad you are back on the scene. We have missed you. Looking forward to seeing you and hearing your system for the first time. I would love to meet the AVS guys.

I have kart racing on Sunday morning, so I might be a little late for 12pm start, but I can make it. The other two times are OK.
Rich

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
He LIVES!! :)

Great to see you are still around!!!

I need to have one last hurrah myself before I go into baby jail...  some complications the last few weeks have just sapped my available time to do anything...

she has her shower this weekend and then next weekend is the birth classes all weekend long... I'm thinking maybe the weekend after that if he doesn't try to force his way out sooner like he's been trying to do lately...

I want to show off the new VR-35s from Von Schweikert, including how they work in home theater setup because of their imaging.  I also want to show off the AMR electronics that have joined the fray here... the DAC is really something.  I might finally have the upgrade board to make the PS Audio PWD an MKII status by then as well....  add in the new 6C33C based amps that are slowly working out the mechanical noise issues, and I should have some cool new toys to show off in one last bang before my world is consumed with feedings and diaper changes at all hours of the day and night....  why did I wait so late in adulthood to do this again?

I'd be curious to hear more about your new digs as well, Tim including have a looksee at what you got going on now... as stated, the next couple weekends are not possible, but beyond that I have a small window of time assuming he stays in there until closer to full term....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
Shane,
Yeah, my next 2 are booked as well ... I am thinking sometime in March. I think we are hosting a baby shower March 17th. So if we are doing Saturday afternoon, it would be 3rd, 24th, or 31st. Is Sat the 'usual' day? I am getting non-consensus on my 3 prospective times (and some write-in candidates) at AVS, so I think we will drive teh train.

With your litany of 'stuff' are you talking schlepping over here, or hosting? If the former, at least it is only 2 floors this time ... not lugging db99's up to a third floor this time   :duh

My digs are better than the old house. Overall the room is 22 by 40, (part of it notched out for the bathroom) with 10 and 11 foot ceilings. Have a pool table and a bar, with comfortable theater stadium seating for 6, and pub/bar seating for 8.

The downside is that I haven't done any treatments yet, but the large size helps with that.

jianghai

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 04:09:38 PM »
My schedule is a little nebulous, but I should be in for whenever. Look forward to meeting all y'all

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
Tim,

I was thinking of hosting one myself... I'm not opposed to schlepping a few pieces over if you want to hear some different pieces at your place during your get together... but no more lugging big speakers :)  I've reached the end of the line for that except when delivering purchased items to customers.... I'm too fat and out of shape to be lugging big boxes just for the fun of it anymore :)

I just put a new bulb in my JVC... got 3700+ hours out of a 3000 hour bulb on the old one... and it still works... it just was worn out and the dimness was starting to bug me watching during the day.... so I swapped it.... wow.... i forgot how awesome this projector is...  even with the iris aperture fully closed I have my plasma like effect back... and the color balance and greyscale is still spot on without having to re-calibrate...  I'm a happy camper stretched out in the theater recliner watching a movie with the VR-35s and center channel immersing me in the movie :)  not that I get to do that much lately....

Saturdays seem to be the best for almost everyone...  usually afternoon until late night seems to allow folks to come and go depending on their schedules... lots of folks work on Saturday and lots of plans usually occur on Saturday... so you'll get some folks coming in late or having to drop out at the last minute...  but Sundays always seem to be even more problematic whenever I tried to do that in the past.

I was actually thinking of doing March 3rd myself... all the new toys won't be here by then, but I'm really tempting fate too much if I let it push out much past that date... 

Rich might have working test mules of the Econowave high efficiency speakers he's building if you have a get together later next month...  he might be more willing to lug speakers for you to hear at your place :)  It sounds like you've definitely got a big enough room to take advantage of them...

Shane Sangster

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »
Saturday afternoon 3/31 or Sunday 4/1 work for me..
I think Sunday is usually better for Steve (stereofool) IIRC.  I guess I should let him chime in about his sitch.
In any case, would be great to see you, the new digs, and enjoy some tunes.  I'd like to hear some new music and catch up with everyone mainly.

How do you want people to bring music? Files, cd's, records?

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:47 AM »
I'm too fat and out of shape to be lugging big boxes just for the fun of it anymore
Kinda hard to believe that was over 7 years ago?!
I was actually thinking of doing March 3rd myself...
OK, I'll clear out of that slot and look at late March or even space it out a bit more and look at April.
How do you want people to bring music? Files, cd's, records?
I can accomodate any of those, and unfortunately am somewhat compromised on all counts right now being in transition with equipment and configuration. We'll see what has improved by April.

Offline stereofool

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
I can do most Saturdays after about 3:00PM  :).

I agree that most of the guys seem to be able to attend the Saturday G2G's!

I'm open from early March on, and looking forward to seeing the 'gang', again  :roll:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »
The better half put the kibosh on me hosting a big get together before the little one arrives.  So March 3rd is now back open for you, Tim.

I was told I could host it if it only lasted a couple hours.... HA!  Like that will ever happen...  3 hours or less is now the threshold.  Any longer is too long for her to be away from the house at this point... and staying around to listen to conversations about gear is not on the table for her :)  She's at the point that she wants to stay hibernating in her own house uninterrupted in her "nest" with her swollen feet elevated.  She doesn't understand why I can't just carry all the gear over to someone else's house and they can host it....  I'm learning to pick my battles.  Debating or discussing the merits of something with an irrational, irritable, 8 month pregnant woman is just not worth the hassle :)   I kid, of course. :)  hehehe

So I would still like to show off the new Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) gear (the DP-777 DAC is super and their integrated amps are really quite good as well), the new VR-35 speakers from Von Schweikert, some tube amps, and the new MKII version of the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC whenever the upgrade board ships...  but I just can't do it at my place for a couple months until after baby is born and she's up for longer trips away from my place.  

I'm open to taking some of this stuff on the road... all but the speakers are easily transported... so likely not them.... and folks are always welcome to come in smaller numbers for a demo at my place.... but it can only be 3 hours or less... we just can't do a 12 hour event with lots of people that runs well into the night for a little bit yet... someone goes to sleep pretty early these days :)  playing above 100dB at midnight won't fly for the next couple months like it did on one of the last couple get togethers at my place...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:41:34 PM by hometheaterdoc »
Shane Sangster

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
Debating or discussing the merits of something with an irrational, irritable, 8 month pregnant woman is just not worth the hassle
You mean the hassle of you having to sit in the emergency room awaiting attention for removing a large foreign object from sensitive territory, or perhaps re-attaching some appendage of which you've become fond.

I'd be glad to help you with transporting and setting up stuff you'd like to bring, but don't feel you have to ... it's all good. I'm happy just to catch up with everyone, spin some tunes, and  :beer:   But I do have to warn you I still have the 3.3's   Maybe if Rich finishes the Econowaves in time ... ?

I'd mentally checked off the 3rd, so let me circle back with the managing partner and see if I've been booked now for something else that would make hosting difficult.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
OK, seems I am still available on the 3rd, so if expectations can be managed down enough, I can host a G2G.

Is the 3rd still good for you guys?

Offline stereofool

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:14 AM »
I can do after 3:00PM  :thumb:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
 :thumb:

jianghai

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
:thumb:

My sentiments exactly. More than happy to help out in any way I can.