Author Topic: Esoteric MG-20  (Read 14828 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Esoteric MG-20
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:15 AM »
A couple reviews came out recently which illustrate the difficulty in relying on reviewers for advice in choosing equipment.

Dick Olsher and Srajan Ebaen are my two favorite reviewers, along with Jon Valin, Mike Smith ;) , Sam Tellig et al.

Dick and Srajen both reviewed the Esoteric MG-20 in the last 6 months:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/esoteric7/mg20.html
http://www.avguide.com/the-absolute-sound

The significance of these speakers is that the drivers are made of pure magnesium, not mag/alum alloy like Seas. Pure magnesium has lower resonance than any other cone material, including titanium, carbon, whatever, but pure unprotected magnesium reacts with oxygen and quickly corrodes and fails. Esoteric has found a way to protect the Mg. The quieter driver cones were the reason for the strongly differing opinions, so the effect of the reduced driver distortion is easily noticeable. Of course, Xover tuning and other speaker design elements were not blamed by the experienced reviewers as variables that could explain their opinions. They both blamed the drivers for their judgements, which is probably what Esoteric prefers anyway.

Their overall opinions were almost opposite. Yet, the parameters of criticism were similar. For Srajen, metal driver detail was sterile and unmusical. He blamed himself for being pre-conditioned by euphonic drivers, but that was just his way of not blaming the ears of the digital engineers for the sound. For Dick, metal driver accuracy allowed improved detail, and  was the ticket to his A+ grade.

I recently auditioned the Usher Be-718 which I found extremely stimulating and enjoyable but eventually decided to return it to the dealer because the Beryllium tweeter detail, while not bright or tonally inaccurate, was just a little too much info trying to get into my brain. I prefer the slightly softer, less revealing Legacys. However with the Feastrex driver approaching the same degree of detail as the Usher, albeit in a less balanced smaller bandwidth envelope, I enjoy that very much, and wish the Legacys had the ability to reveal that added layer of detail. The detail battle rages on the homefront.  Interestingly, Ushers detail was beryllium, while Feastrex is paper, and driver materials do matter - a point pressed by
both reviewers.

I found the reasons for the judgements of these two master reviewers of the same product to be very interesting. Then Srajen mentioned DeVore, and that sent me off on a totally different tangent. haha

My local Esoteric dealer said he would be glad to order me a pair ($15k  :lol:) but they only stock one DVD player. I guess I should be glad to have a Esoteric dealer in my city, even if only virtual. The speakers were at RMAF, but I didn't notice them, and John Atkinson did not mention their sound in his blog entry about them. Considering the innovative technology of pure Mg drivers and the auspicious entry into new market territory by such an established high end mfg, that silence about how they sounded was deafening to me. I know he likes the dead ML/MF sound, so I would guess Dick Olsher's preference for lively sound would be the exact opposite. I've still never heard Zu, so I don't know Sarajen's preference, but based on his other reviews, I venture he like a realistic and lively sound too.

Anyone heard these speakers yet? I would love to hear your impression.
Rich

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Esoteric MG-20
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:25:05 AM »
Hi Rich,

The differences are probably due to different associated components and rooms in their respective systems. Maybe Dick was able to obtain the inner detail and still get the musicality he wanted. It would be virtually impossible that both setups had exactly the same sound with different components and different rooms.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 06:29:09 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:55:24 AM »
I agree. Srajen tried several different amps, including SET and amps that he knows are over the top sweet, the speaker revealed that, but retained the "whatever it was" that he didn't like. Of course a TAS review never describes the test system or measured data, so I don;t kow what Dick used, probably his beloved EAR 834, and maybe some other amps he is known to possess. I think the biggest difference is the material the ear drums are made from.  :D  Ironically, both have advocated the sound of paper drivers in the recent past. Anyway, I look forward to hearing a pair for myself someday.
Thanks steve

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:29:16 AM »
I agree. Srajen tried several different amps, including SET and amps that he knows are over the top sweet, the speaker revealed that, but retained the "whatever it was" that he didn't like. Of course a TAS review never describes the test system or measured data, so I don;t kow what Dick used, probably his beloved EAR 834, and maybe some other amps he is known to possess. I think the biggest difference is the material the ear drums are made from.  :D  Ironically, both have advocated the sound of paper drivers in the recent past. Anyway, I look forward to hearing a pair for myself someday.
Thanks steve

Paper has different distortion and resonant properties that other types don't which may explain their preference.
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 08:42:05 AM »
Yeah, it does have a sound of its own. I like it too.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 12:04:16 PM »
Of course different ICs/speaker wires could also explain sonic differences the two sytems might have as well.

SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 07:20:54 AM »
Of course different ICs/speaker wires could also explain sonic differences the two sytems might have as well.
Yes... or maybe they were just using different versions of the same IC/SC...  :lol: 
I really enjoy listening to music.