Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

New: KT-170

<< < (3/3)

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on August 23, 2021, 10:37:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on August 19, 2021, 01:56:39 PM ---Steve,

How would these values compare to something like a KT 88? Any idea if the build of this tube is likely a result of a special order by an equipment manufacturer or if TungSol built it with the assumption that equipment manufacturers will start utilizing it in their designs?

Nick

--- End quote ---

Sorry I am late responding Nick.

Tube shape is different than 150, may or may not mean anything. Like the 150 and 120, the high plate voltage can be a cause for concern in beam/pentode mode as voltage spikes could be high enough for arcing between pins 3/plate and 2/filament. In UL or triode mode, 600 volts, I would not be too concerned.

The Chinese tried manufacturing the EL-156, but evidently a bust as I don't see it sold in the USA anymore. It also had a high voltage rating but the screen was designed for a lower voltage, so triode/UL operation was limited to a lower screen voltage, dissipation, thus efficiency.

The KT-88/120/150 has a higher screen voltage rating for more efficient use in UL/triode mode. In beam/pentode mode the high screen voltage makes the tube less efficient.

The 170 has a great cathode emission rating of 300ma, the 120 is 250ma and I believe the 88 is around 230ma.

I don't know concerning your last question of manufacturers. Years ago I tested the new tung sol
6550 and was not impressed sonically. Maybe the 120/150/170s are different though.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate your thoughts  :thumb:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version