Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

New: KT-170

(1/3) > >>

steve:
This is the first I have heard of this tube number by Tung Sol. Claiming plate dissipation of 85 watts and
screen grid rating of 11 watts. Tube is 6" tall. Here is a link to data.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/KT170-datasheet.pdf

cheers

steve

Nick B:
Steve,

How would these values compare to something like a KT 88? Any idea if the build of this tube is likely a result of a special order by an equipment manufacturer or if TungSol built it with the assumption that equipment manufacturers will start utilizing it in their designs?

Nick

tmazz:
Although the tubes in the KT series are plug in compatible with each other not all amps can use the higher tubes. In addition to the fact they many amps originally designed got KT 88s have output transformers that cannot handle the higher wattages put out by the KT 120s and 150s, the 120s and 150s pull 25% more heater current and many amps designed around KT 88s do not have power supplies with the capacity to provide that much heater current.

While all of the data sheets that I can find for the new KT 170s havre the heater specs redacted I would assume that would pull at least as much current as the 120s and 150s.

If you have an amp designed around 120s or 150s you might get away with rolling in 170, but I would think it is doubtful that you would get away with in on a KT 88 amp, as the 170 has more that twice the plate dissipation of an 88.

But in any case I would check with the amp’s original manufacturer for guidance.

tmazz:
I found an unredacted Data sheet for the KT-170s and the do pull the same heater current as the 120s and 150s.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/KT170-datasheet.pdf

Nick B:

--- Quote from: tmazz on August 19, 2021, 05:53:32 PM ---Although the tubes in the KT series are plug in compatible with each other not all amps can use the higher tubes. In addition to the fact they many amps originally designed got KT 88s have output transformers that cannot handle the higher wattages put out by the KT 120s and 150s, the 120s and 150s pull 25% more heater current and many amps designed around KT 88s do not have power supplies with the capacity to provide that much heater current.

While all of the data sheets that I can find for the new KT 170s havre the heater specs redacted I would assume that would pull at least as much current as the 120s and 150s.

If you have an amp designed around 120s or 150s you might get away with rolling in 170, but I would think it is doubtful that you would get away with in on a KT 88 amp, as the 170 has more that twice the plate dissipation of an 88.

But in any case I would check with the amp’s original manufacturer for guidance.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Tom. Very interesting. Any idea if a patent would apply to the 170?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version