Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

voicing tubes?

(1/3) > >>

Nick B:
I’ve read articles over the years as to how manufacturers voice their equipment. As I’m currently trying out some Raytheon 6ns7s on my Supratek preamp, I’m appreciating the added detail and warmth. They are replacing Tung-Sols.

So I was wondering if there is any consistency as to materials used, the design, purity of the metals, etc as to really fine tuning how a certain tube can/will sound.

Also, if some of the nos tubes were so excellent, what’s involved nowadays in trying to duplicate that?

A final thought…. getting back into tubes has brought back such fond memories when I was a kid and would occasionally make trips to the store to test tubes. As I vaguely recall, even the grocery store we frequented had a tester. But that was so very long ago.

P.I.:
Playing with tubes is great fun.  Tube rolling is educational and can be rewarding.

Additional tube to try is the RCA 5692 red base.  Very musical while retrieving more detail.

Another adventure are tube dampers.  From hi-temp 'O' rings to Herbie's Tube Dampers and beyond.

Enjoy!

Nick B:

--- Quote from: P.I. on August 13, 2021, 11:22:56 PM ---Playing with tubes is great fun.  Tube rolling is educational and can be rewarding.

Additional tube to try is the RCA 5692 red base.  Very musical while retrieving more detail.

Another adventure are tube dampers.  From hi-temp 'O' rings to Herbie's Tube Dampers and beyond.

Enjoy!

--- End quote ---

Well, you were right on the 7308s  :thumb: I was wondering about tube dampers and wii head over to Herbies. Have been happy with their stuff so far. Was looking at RCA 6NS7s as Jack had mentioned them. Will take a look at the RCA 5692s right now

PS  just found this link…. gulp 😳  :D
https://www.tubemuseum.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=5692+RCA+RED+PAIR

James Edward:
 I recall reading a theory on why NOS tubes can sound different or better is that manufacturers used some metals and materials that cannot be used today. I think it had to do with their toxicity?
There are plenty of ‘Superfund’ sites cleaning up what used to be acceptable in manufacturing, so maybe the theory has got some truth to it…

BobM:
careful with those tube dampers. They might clear some things up but they can also have a side effect of dampening down dynamics. YMMV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version