Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

Everything makes a difference...

<< < (6/6)

Folsom:
No test on RN resistors? K... and PRP? I can think of some more.

P.I.:

--- Quote from: Folsom on August 11, 2021, 09:22:37 AM ---No test on RN resistors? K... and PRP? I can think of some more.

--- End quote ---
There are some great resistors that can be chosen for application - ie., fine tuning the sonics of any given circuit.

I do not choose the same resistors for every application.  Vishay bulk foils are great in certain applications, but are too squeeky clean for others.

Let me give an example that has very little application to the overall context of AN:  guitar  amplifiers.

Here are the resitors that I generally use for an amplifier:

Power supply dropping/isolation resistors :  Mills - for reliability and very low noise.  I NEVER use a MO resistor. They are too noisy and can make a power supply sound "loose"

Plate resistors for voltage amplification stages:  PRP or Vishay RN - depends on which stage. for MF they aren't sterile sounding and have very little character

Grid resistors and cathode bias for voltage amplification stages - Takman REX carbon films - that carbon warmth (distortion) without carbon comp noise and hiss in very high gain stages

Cathode bias in output stages - depends on the output tube and whether I want an amp that has that output stage "grind" .  Often I use an Ohmite 42 series 2W or a Mills 5W chosen for application and reliability.

Grid stoppers - usually Takman 1W REX (sometimes paralleled for reliability)

Pots are either CTS carbon film (I don't particularly care for them, but players want
that "CTS sound") or Bourns plastics for reliability.

But even with this, applications often dictate different choices.  A Fender 5E3 Deluxe build can be voiced for clean(ish - they are never "clean, per se') or incredibly dirty just through resistor choice.

steve:

--- Quote from: Folsom on August 11, 2021, 09:22:37 AM ---No test on RN resistors? K... and PRP? I can think of some more.

--- End quote ---

Sorry Folsom. The only explanation I have is the articles I quoted are so old. I don't know when some of the resistors started production.

If this helps, I have been recently testing the PRP resistors in my crossovers (copper leads) and so far found them right up there with Holcos and Resistas. The Vishay bulk foils, naked, are incredible, but expensive and require top notch design and associated parts. They are also only rated 0,6 watts, so not power type.

Cheers.

steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version