Self Medicating > General DIY

DIY roller blocks??

(1/29) > >>

Nick B:
I saw a featured system at Agon and the owner used various footers including Eden Sound Terra Stone bearings and a guy who posted a comment said that he could elicit quite a change by simply changing the bearing materials on diy roller blocks. His wife could easily note the improvement.

What do diy roller blocks look like? Anyone tried this and used different materials? My setup is sounding so nice nowadays that isolation tweaks are absolutely worth a try. My rack is a Pangea, which is nicely built and quite sturdy. I see videos of them being used at shows. The shelves, however, are not isolated from each other.

I was looking at some ISO Gaia’s, but they’re a little pricey and I have 5 components that might benefit from resonance control. Was also at Herbie’s. Anyone used any of his stuff?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Nick

rollo:
   Lots of footers out there with different approaches. All sound different. The surface below contributes to choice of footer to use. Can get complicated. So first question what surface will the footers sit on ? Wood ? MDF shelf ?
  I have Pon-Tunes, Herbies, Mad Scientist, Mapleshade, Cardas wood blocks and some DIY . Do not any as the rack used made them moot. If I do install any the sound changes for the OK or worse not wow factor.
   Price as well is a factor. A good trick is to remove the top cover plates from your gear. Check that out first.

charles

Nick B:
Charles,
I’m virtually certain it’s made of mdf and I’ll try and confirm.
Nick

rollo:

--- Quote from: Nick B on March 18, 2021, 08:46:49 AM ---Charles,
Nick

--- End quote ---

OK. A good rule of thumb is to use similar but dissimilar materials to contact each other. So a wood footer hard wood may be good. The Cardas are cheap enough to try. Goal is either to drain vibrations or de-couple. De-coulping the rack from floor is highly recommended. Same for TT and transport. Tubed gear drain into a plinth preferably wood. De-couple plinth from rack. There ya go in a nutshell.

charles

Nick B:

--- Quote from: rollo on March 18, 2021, 12:06:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on March 18, 2021, 08:46:49 AM ---Charles,
Nick

--- End quote ---

OK. A good rule of thumb is to use similar but dissimilar materials to contact each other. So a wood footer hard wood may be good. The Cardas are cheap enough to try. Goal is either to drain vibrations or de-couple. De-coulping the rack from floor is highly recommended. Same for TT and transport. Tubed gear drain into a plinth preferably wood. De-couple plinth from rack. There ya go in a nutshell.

charles

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Charles. Looks like lots of trial and error coming up. The stand has spikes with protective cups for the engineered wood flooring.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version