Systemic Development > Amplification and Preamplification

amp recommendations

(1/10) > >>

Nick B:
I’m thrilled with the sound I’m getting nowadays. But this hobby has me wondering...a little bit... how things would sound with a different amp. I’ve been using the tricked up ICE amp I bought from TomS. Had an on/off switch installed to get rid of a weird rt channel noise on shut off...probably emanating from my tube preamp.

The idea of a tube amp..or even another solid state .. is intriguing, but it would likely weigh more than I’d like. It’s great to have my heaviest component weigh only 30 lbs (my Fritz speaker). Don’t really have a budget in mind, but no more than $2,000

Anyway, thoughts/recommendations welcome.

Nick

tmazz:
What kind of power do you need to drive those speakers?

Nick B:
They’re about 87 db, but pretty easy to drive per Fritz. I believe that is because of his crossover design. Iirc, he told me me he’s run them with as little as 8 watts. I do tend to listen at high volume

Jack:
Nick

Fritz and I own both own and think the Van Alstine SET 400 is a great pairing with the Carrera's and a tube preamp but if you don't want the weight (38 lbs) and size then the SET 120 at half the size and weight should do the job.

Nick B:
Jack,
Thanks for the suggestion, especially since I value your opinion and Fritz’s  :thumb: I’ll take a look. I’d prefer to keep the weight at 45 lbs or below. I can still handle that with my advancing years  :roll:
Nick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version