Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Vinyl in the popular media

(1/14) > >>

richidoo:
I am seeing vinyl imagery all over popular culture.  Once you start noticing it, you'll find it amazing how the "vintage quality" image that vinyl represents is being used to sell stuff, and worn by dayouts to look cool.

Let's document all the appearances of vinyl records, turntables, etc. Jump on in...

1. Keith Urban was wearing a vinyl T-Shirt on American idol

2. Sleep Number Bed asks the question "analog or digital?" in TV ad, showing a TT and a digital pause button icon

sleepyguy24:
Here is what I've seen in the past couple of months.

1) Yesterday when I logged out of Paypal there was an ad where  a person putting on an RCA record onto a Rega or Pro-Ject turntable and playing.

2) It may have been a Heineken or other beer commercial where there is a Technics 1200 TT playing a record at a bar in the beginning and then the party getting started.

3) I don't know if this counts but on NSFW site MeInMyPlace there are various models where I've seen they have vintage turntables in their rooms.

4) Some years ago there was a Lexus commercial where they were showing old analog technology and an older grey plasticy looking TT but it was pretty prominent.

5) Also in an older Ford ad with John Varvatos he goes to a record store searching for records. Drives off in his Ford to his studio and plays a record on his vintage set-up.

rollo:
  Noticing lots of TV commercials showing TT or vinyl.

charles

richidoo:
Thanks Sleepy!

--- Quote from: rollo on March 06, 2014, 09:31:39 AM ---  Noticing lots of TV commercials showing TT or vinyl.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, me too!! Please list them here, as you see them. I think the list will grow faster than anybody expected. Please post links to pictures and videos of commercials if possible. Most commercials are on youtube.

As boomers retire and turn to hobbies, vinyl will continue to grow in popularity. People long for the happiness of their youth, and music on vinyl is a touchstone for many in the baby boomer generation. Retirees are advertisers' 2nd most desirable demographic target, after the 20-something baby makers. But as the most recent Triode Wire review shows, 20-somethings love vinyl too, even if it's only to be as cool as the boomers. I think 20 somethings love vinyl because they are culturally barren after growing up with rap as their formative music, and those who recognize the need for music as a spiritual nourishment are forced to choose music from another era than their own to find satisfaction. Those who venture back in time find treasures beyond their imagination, but it's on vinyl. They know, as do we audiophiles, that music is usually best listened to through the media on which it was originally issued. Hence the cool factor of spinning vinyl among da-yoots.

BobM:
kohler generator commercial
-saw it today while watching golf on nbc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version