Systemic Development > Digital Audio Devices

Plinius CD-101

(1/2) > >>

richidoo:

I posted a preliminary review of the Plinius CD-101 earlier today. After writing I listened to it a lot more. I realized that much of my criticism (lack of dynamics) was wrongly blamed on the CD player and not the unfamiliar preamp I am also trying. I realized the preamp was also dulling the other sources connected to it, so I thought it would be better to delete the post and start fresh when I get the preamp sorted.

My preliminary impression  of the CD-101 is good:  The CD player has incredible detail all across the frequency range. The tone is extremely pure and lifelike, except for the dynamics mentioned above. Metallic high frequency acoustic instruments like bells chimes, etc are very beautiful and clear, like bright white sunlight. The CDP brings effortless clarity to loud complex symphonic passages like Bartok, that are easily smeared and sound confused on my SB3. Bass power is impressive. Everything is extremely clean sounding and precise. When I get that preamp out of there I will be able to really hear the musicality of the player and comment more.

There are some build quality issues, but nothing that takes away from the musical performance.
Rich

Plinius CD-101
Review AudioEnz
Neil Gader Review - TAS

Carlman:
Well hm, then.  I'll be bringing my preamp over to your place (hopefully later today) with some fab tubes and freshly ERS'd internals... and I think you'll be surprised at the transparency.
We should have a Plinius vs. Transporter vs. USB DAC show down!  (and more!)
Looking forward to seeing what results we can get out of that...

-C

shrinkmore:
Sounds like an interesting show down.  Let us know.

richidoo:

--- Quote from: "Carlman" ---Looking forward to seeing what results we can get out of that...
-C
--- End quote ---

Me too! Thanks.
Rich

miklorsmith:
Wow, you guys are the new Wild, Wild West!

Nice writeup, Rich.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version