Music Ward > Music Discussion

Blu-Ray Performances

(1/2) > >>

Carlman:
Has anyone experienced some really good performances recorded on Blu-Ray?  I like rock mainly but would be interested in others if they are very well recorded, especially in high-def, and convey the emotion of the performance.

-C

Bigfish8:
I guess you have seen the BluRay of Tim Reynolds and Dave Mathews.  I think it is fantastic!

Ken

bpape:
The 'Planet Earth' series from Discovery is oustanding in Blu-Ray on a big screen.

Bryan

Carlman:
I have Planet Earth.. I bough that a while back... I've seen the first DVD on normal format, regular 27" tube television.. and can't wait to see how that's going to be on the 'biggus screenus'. 

I went on Amazon and put a few on my order list.. I found the DM/TR.. and an old Who performance.. among others.  There are only about 30 Blu-ray music DVD's on Amazon total... so not much out there yet.

One thing I've noticed is old, rich musicians are doing big productions with HD formats... which I don't care for.  Old Neil Diamond sounds like an old man, not like the Neil I like.  The energy (and physical ability) of youth is gone in the performances I've seen of the Stones, the Who, Devo, and even the Pixies.  It's just weird to watch these old guys dance around like they're 20 and still try to 'act' weird.  They were genuinely out-there back when..

I might have to take off my 'blu-ray' only caveat and look for any genuinely great performances on any DVD format.  The only problem with that is the sound quality is terrible to me on DVD's.  They all sound like 'that TV sound'... I think it's compression... but it's not as good as a regular CD, that's for sure.  It sounds like everyone is talking with their hands cupped around their mouths... or making walky-talky voice.  Every DVD-movie or concert I've heard sounds like this... and my hope is that Blu-ray sounds more like a redbook CD. 

BTW, I need to update the basement thread.  Sheetrock's coming tomorrow or Tuesday.

-C

bpape:
Sorry - not much into concert videos myself.  One I do enjoy is Blue Man Group.

Bryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version