Author Topic: Any other JBL guys here???  (Read 10636 times)

eclein

Any other JBL guys here???
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:18 PM »
I'm a JBL guy for better or worse, older the better, I've heard them in most every recording studio I ever worked in and I know what to expect. I currently have 3 sets but there always seems to be more goodness to find...so anybody else enjoy JBL's??? :thumb:

drews_hifi

Re: Any other JBL guys here???
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »
i have a pr of jbl 100s in my studio system.  they buzz ait at hi vol, esp w solo bass.  prob need xover repair.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
I think Bill O'Connell still has big (huge) custom speakers with JBL drivers.

I always wanted to hear these, but can't find them listed on JBL site anymore. Do you know what this model is called?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:55:21 PM »
Rich....

The JBL Mt. Everest .... :thumb:

You will need much more than faith to move these new Mt. Everest speakers from JBL as they weigh a back-breaking 313 pounds. The Mt. Everest speakers measure a whooping 9" x 18.5" x 44" and will require a pretty high end receiver to provide enough power for the 500-watt monster....they go for $30,000.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:21:52 AM »
Here you go, Rich...

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 05:09:45 AM »
Thanks Steve!!  Wow those are cool...

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/ProductDetails.aspx?prdid=7

Ed, what kinds do you have?  Why do you like them so much, other than you know them.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »
Here you go, Rich...

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/

Did anyone read the spec sheet? These babies are 96db efficient and the specs call for an amplifier of up to 500 Watts.  :shock:

What the heck are you going to do with 500w running into 96db speakers???? Use them to knock down buildings?  :rofl:

You just gotta love the marketing folks......  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

eclein

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 07:10:05 AM »
 I have a pair of 4312A-Control Monitors- $50 off CL..smoothest sound I have ever owned, I love the tight bass and the JBL midrange and high end..this model is the most neutral of the ones I have owned, this model has the nicest sounding tweeter I've heard from JBL and nicest mid-range, and of course the Alnico 12" woofer.
 I was recently given a pair of 4311B-Control Monitors, this model has the same Alnico woofer but a different mid-range and tweeter-much brighter than the 4312A's.
 I also have a pair of L20T bookshelf speakers that use the same awesome tweeter as the 4312A's...they may get tweaked, I might swap the tweeters into the 4311B's and rebuild the crossovers. The 4311B's may become project speakers to fiddle with and tweak.
 I listened to music focusing on the drum sound first and then everything else seems to fall into place, when I get the nice kick drum and toms, the resonance of the snare...life is good!!! :D/

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
Did anyone read the spec sheet? These babies are 96db efficient and the specs call for an amplifier of up to 500 Watts.  :shock:

What the heck are you going to do with 500w running into 96db speakers???? Use them to knock down buildings?  :rofl:

You just gotta love the marketing folks......  :roll:

I know what you mean. But the specs can be misleading sometimes. They only say 96dB/W/m at 8ohms. They don't say the minimum impedance at what frequency or the associated phase. I had Legacy Focus which was 96dB, but 1.9ohms at 70Hz, with 60 degree phase shift. 500 watts made them come alive but I still enjoyed them with 50W tube integrated. In this case, two low distortion woofers in reflex (low Q?) with potentially complex passive crossover filter, I would not be surprised if it actually dips to 3 ohms at 70Hz with a bit of phase angle too, although JBL guys know to minimize those negative aspects so it's probably a mild load. Trying to play a symphonic peak or a movie effect or a rap song at "shake her pants off" levels, maybe 112dB would still ask for 500W in a heartbeat. Plus you want some headroom to keep the harmonic distortion low and the dynamic feel high. IMO, more output devices reduce the output impedance for better bass detail, that why bigger amps sound more confident and authoritative even at low levels. More output devices means higher power rating, but that's a secondary benefit to the bass control.  Looks like JBL is marketing their 200W Lexicon amp with them, bridgable to 800W mono. I wouldn't mind hearing them with the 50W Mastersound 845 monos.

Ed, that sounds awesome. I have a track of tony williams that I like to use to evaluate a speaker, because it has such a great birch drum kit tone, and those dark rich Zildjians from the 60s. That's where the high efficiency comes in, they seem to be able to lay out the details easier. Detail is effortless, not forced.  Are your JBL speakers relatively high efficiency also?

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 09:28:41 AM »
I heard that Tony would always insist on a very natural drum tone. He wanted his toms to ring and his snare to speak, and now it's possible to pick him out easily due to that sound, and of course that playing. Man, that playing...

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »
Oh yeah. Beautiful sound. He was such an fine artist. Max was that way too, but more pragmatic, tuning drums to the key of the song. I built some diy speakers out of birch ply, Tony's birch snare never sounded better, but everything sounded kinda woody  #-o

Offline JLM

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
My first "hi-fi" speakers in the early 70's were JBL's.  Don't recall the model, but they used an 8 inch full range driver with a 8 inch passive radiator in a roughly 12 inch x 12 inch x 24 inch cabinet.

So when I went looking for my first "serious hi-fi" speakers I started with JBL L-300's (roughly 2 ft x 3 ft x 4 ft with 15 inch woofer, horn midrange, and horn tweeter and in 1976 went for $1800/pair).  They gave, what I now term a "serious hi-fi" sound (professional monitor/reinforcement) versus life like sound.

eclein

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 04:49:19 PM »
Both sets of Control Monitors are very efficient, and have that great tight bass I love so much. I use Lee Ritenour-"Smoke'N Mirrors" as reference and Steely Dan-"Two Against Nature"...I smile everytime!!! Having these 12" woofers has most definitely spoiled me...these (4312A's) are the nicest sounding speakers I have ever owned, I'll take these with me when I leave...somehow!!! :thumb:

poloman

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
The Century 100's were the first hi end speaker I heard in 1975-6 at Newmark and Lewis in Flushing.  They  were the best sounding then.   But I knew nothing bout Hi end